1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS CS-Ultra vs. Servo 15 Head-to-Head

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ShinObiWAN, Aug 18, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of Servo 15's onroute to me, one from fellow forum user and mate adieacc and the other from Richersounds via ebay :D

Some will be aware that I already have an SVS CS-Ultra so I'm going to be auditioning and pitching them against each other.

I will post full test results with subjective and more scientific data such as frequeency plots and max SPL.

I will of course be using the Servo's in both single and dual configs. The winner or whatever you want to call it will be kept and the loser sold.

Should be interesting! :)

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,011
    Thought you'd had a Servo-15 before and didn't like it?:confused: Or do I have the wrong person?

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right on both counts smurf.

I had a servo back in late '03 and sold it to JIT. Never disliked the servo, in fact I loved it but eventually sold it to fund a CRT projector purchase.

I've also moved rooms since then so would be interested to hear the servo on the second floor with a suspended wooden floor.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,011
    Thought so:) Should be interesting to hear your thoughts. What amp is running your CS-Ultra btw?

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Watching forum classifieds these days it's obvious that Servo 15's don't have any where near the appeal they used to. Last year there was panic when Richer's stopped selling them, and now it seems people are struggling to sell them.
    I know what people are favouring now so I'm sure alot of people, including myself will be interested in your comparisons.
    Matt, I know you had your dual servo's head to head with your PB2+ a while back but I don't think anyone has done a servo / SVS cylinder test yet, correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not in the same room but Servo 15 owners GaryG, Ridd and Orbital have all heard my SVS in my room

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I think trying them in your own room is quite important for an accurate comparison.

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,011
    You are indeed correct, but that'll change tomorrow as I have both a Servo-15 and a PC-Ultra at the moment. Will try and do my own comparison before the Servo goes (mate's picking it up tomorrow morning)

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Come on then Matt, what were your thoughts when running the two in the same room. And how do they compare to the DD18;)

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,011
    In the end we didn't really get chance to compare, spent all day setting up the Tag and playing around with the SVS position and BFD'ing it.

I have a really flat response except a nasty dip at 63hz (by around 15db:eek: ), which I've smoothed out a bit....but it's still a big trough:( I'll have to live with it as the other positions for the sub gives a frequency response which has more dips in it than Nemesis at Alton Towers).

Don't mention DD-18, it might be construed as OT ;)

11. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,011
  13. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's not the comparison part, ShinObiWAN is going back over old ground, clearly he had issues with the Servo 15, and clearly he has issues with the CS-Ultra otherwise he wouldn't be selling it.

Sorry to talk about you in the third-person Ant but I suspect what you're really looking for is a combination of the strengths of both, the musical capability of the SVS combined with the shear low down wallop of the Servo 15.

14. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Gary,

That post you linked to is largely irrelevant. Bear with me for a moment and I'll explain.

I'm probably one of the last people to realise that the room a sub is in dictates its performance to a greater extent than most would imagine.

I'd say in troublesome rooms a BFD is essential - some thing I didn't have when I had my first servo.

My listening room creates a huge peak at 50hz with virtually all the subs I've tested since having the real time analyser gear.

My point is that the Servo was never BFD'd and its response compromised musically. A BFD'd sub compared to that same sub with no EQ is like comparing apples to oranges in a troublesome room.

So I say ignore that post and indeed this post because rooms are so influential that its almost impossible to recommend one sub over another when performance is as close as these two.

Another bonus of a dual servo setup its the smopothed and distrubuted bass response throughout the room once optimum positioning is found.

15. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I look forward to reading the outcome of your experiment. BTW, fancy swapping your Ultra for a Tumult?

16. ajpoe

ajpoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So did we ever have a result to this test? I have a full Paradigm Reference setup minus the subs. I'd like to see how the SVS Ultra compares to the Servo 15.

17. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Get the Paradigm - you know it makes sense. ;)

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This has actually been done several times before both in rooms and 'ground plane'. Do you expect to hear a difference in the subs or the rooms?