1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS auto-on

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dgr6966, Aug 27, 2005.

1. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken delivery of an SVS 25-31PC+, which I am very pleased with. I have yet to calibrate it fully and the quantity of bass makes me fearful that the room is resonating badly but it it still sounds great :D, much better than my old M&K V-125.

My question to other SVS users is, "Does the auto-on switch work?" A friend of mine has a Monitor Audio sub with the same feature and he finds that the sub switches off during movies and when the LFE are required it starts up but a little too late. The reaction time means that the sub is not firing when it should, which is obviously no good at all. Do the SVS subs suffer from this problem or do you find that they remain on throughout a movie waiting for a chance to show their mettle?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't something that has never been mentioned here as a problem on an SVS which is either because the system works well or else (like myself) they switch it off and don't use the auto facility at all.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,303
    Not had a problem with my 20-39PC+ on auto,it usually takes a few seconds to wake up when you first start to play a movie but once activated it stays on throughout the movie.

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    dgr,

Really all you need to do if this happens is turn down the gain/volume on the SVS and turn UP the subwoofer level inside your receiver/processor. It's just a question of the sub (regardless of the brand) getting enough voltage from the signal cable feeding it.

If you are watching at low levels frequently this can be an issue even if you skew the signal level to the very high side (which is not recommended in any case, subwoofer signals at the receiver can start to distort the LFE/Bass signal before it gets to the sub amp... which is as they say, a "bad thing".) If your sub isn't switching on automatically in a matter of a second or two, then you can just leave it in the "ON" position (not Auto) all the time, as suggested (it doesn't draw much power sitting in that mode since the amp isn't making bass).

One oft forgotten way to get more signal to your sub is to make sure all your speakers are set to "small" in your receiver too. Not only will this typically yield better sound for a number of different reasons, but it will ensure there is some bass going to wake up the sub in nearly any instance.

Of course after making any of these changes you should get our your SPL meter and do a proper channel level calibration.

Hope that helps some.

Ron Stimpson
    SVS

5. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not bad when you get an answer from the sub maker himself!
    I have 2 svs subs and the auto works fine on both ;)