SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ End User Review

Adam, great review! Just e-mailed Allister to see if they had any in stock.
If you don't get one soon! You can always borrow mine, on one condition; you will help me set up :D j

Do any of you experts live nearby? So you could just drop in one afternoon and help me tune up….As I don't really know much about how to get the best out of my system. I'll get the lunch and beer flowing :clap:

James

You shouldn't need an expert to help set this up, it is very straight forward and if you have any experience with Audyssey .. you should find this just as simple :smashin:

You shouldn't need an expert to help set this up, it is very straight forward and if you have any experience with Audyssey .. you should find this just as simple :smashin:

Thanks Paulst10

spoke to Andy this afternoon and he promised me a sub cable thrown in
just ordered one with Anna from Kent home Cinema. I have been promised a deliver it tomorrow between nine and five.
What a service....:thumbsup:

Just received mine yesterday - awesome service & superb product. If you have two subs, it makes it so much easier to intergrate them.

Adam, great review! Just e-mailed Allister to see if they had any in stock.
If you don't get one soon! You can always borrow mine, on one condition; you will help me set up :D j

Do any of you experts live nearby? So you could just drop in one afternoon and help me tune up….As I don't really know much about how to get the best out of my system. I’ll get the lunch and beer flowing :clap:

James
So tempting, I might travel there from York . . . Pennsylvania. :)

Great review!

Are these two measurements from the same position?

Position 2 - Right of right hand speaker, much less to trouble the AS-EQ1
graph_print_freq_after_0_32_02.png

SVS AS-EQ1 integrated with onboard Audyssey MultEQ XT - Subwoofer Position 2 (Right of FR speaker)
waterfall_07.png
I assume the first one is Audyssey's own measurement and the other one is XTZ.
:confused:

Comparison between this and 8033 would be quite interesting indeed...

Last edited:
Great review!

Are these two measurements from the same position?

Technically speaking no, because the XTZ was plotting a point source whereas the Audyssey is the average over a large area. But the sub was in the same spot.

This is one reason why too much should not be read into the graphs. :)

Adam

Super Review

Clear and easily readable

Many Thanks

Adam,

Something that I think most people are missing is that the after graph is a mathematically calculated response curve, not an actual room measurement.

As such, they think they're getting results that they're not. Take for instance a room induced null that the EQ graphically represents as being flat...the null is still there, they just don't know it.

Adam,

Something that I think most people are missing is that the after graph is a mathematically calculated response curve, not an actual room measurement.

As such, they think they're getting results that they're not. Take for instance a room induced null that the EQ graphically represents as being flat...the null is still there, they just don't know it.

Absolutely, the graph probably is 'accurate' but accurate on based on Audysseys own algorithm for weighted average positions and as such is pretty meaningless for anyone trying to use it as a way to predict the response in any given seating position. Personally I think they should have left it off as it is very misleading.

Adam

Adam,

To be more accurate, the null might still be there but they don't know it. ;) More likely is that the null might still be there but is attenuated and, because of reduced decay time from the time domain aspect of the filters, the LF sounds better.

I'm sure that they find themselves doing some fast footwork in dealing with the buzz surrounding users measuring and graphing the results of the AS-EQ1 and comparing to the SubEQ graph, but I have heard a very noticeable improvement in my room with it not just in the LF, but with additional clarity in nearly the entire spectrum. it is like a very thin veil was lifted.

- Jeff

Last edited:
I'm sure that they find themselves doing some fast footwork in dealing with the buzz surrounding users measuring and graphing the results of the AS-EQ1 and comparing to the SubEQ graph, but I have heard a very noticeable improvement in my room with it.

- Jeff

It is remarkable the apparently very subtle changes in before after graphs, that results in a such a profound difference in sound quality.

I am a convert though :)

Adam

It is remarkable the apparently very subtle changes in before after graphs, that results in a such a profound difference in sound quality.

I am a convert though :)

Adam
I gave up trying to find anywhere in my seating area that graphed like the SubEQ "after" graph, but "with AS-EQ1" and "without AS-EQ1" measuring showed improvement at every point in my listening area whether I had placed the Audyssey mic there or not during setup. The ones with less problems from the gitgo, of course, smoothed out better than the spots with a wacky response going in. Bottom line is that all seats have improved - ALL seats. If anyone thought that each seat would have perfectly flat response, I have a bridge I'd like to sell them.

Thanks Nimby, from you that is quite a compliment :smashin:

Adam

I had the chance to listen to some Vanilla Un-EQ'd Subs today at KHC and both my good lady and myself noticed how un-refined, bloaty and how much the notes overhang (if thats the word) on a few demo scenes.

It's strange that your ear soon becomes accustomed to what the EQ1 does and it's only when you remove a system that you appreaciate just how much of a difference it makes.

I had the chance to listen to some Vanilla Un-EQ'd Subs today at KHC and both my good lady and myself noticed how un-refined, bloaty and how much the notes overhang (if thats the word) on a few demo scenes.

It's strange that your ear soon becomes accustomed to what the EQ1 does and it's only when you remove a system that you appreaciate just how much of a difference it makes.

I bet you was Chuffed About that :D

Thanks for taking the time to post a great helpful review Angeleyes:thumbsup:

Just got one of the AS-Eq1 and calibrated 2 subwoofers one monolith and a pc 13 ultra and the differences in my room are quite outstanding.Its really simple to use and because I have 2 systems in the same room it calibrates them both seperately.I always thought the monolith was a little underwhelming but after calibration it has really impressed me how good it is for the money.The PCUltra now has alot more refinement not just a big boomy cylinder.All in all the benefits it has given my systems really has justified its price.Thought about an antimode but as I would have needed 2 and I got it on offer with another PCultra with £150 off its more or less the same value.I would recomend this product to anyone who doesnt know much about room acoustics and graphs and such things because the final sound is the only thing I care about really glad I took the plunge because now I know what good bass really is:thumbsup:

it really does make a missive difference this is my graph of my PC13Ultra

untitled.jpg

You really need to work on that huge null between 60Hz and 80Hz (and above really). Have you tried using REW find the best placement for your sub?

You really need to work on that huge null between 60Hz and 80Hz (and above really). Have you tried using REW find the best placement for your sub?
You are all around the world, Doug! I would urge Lampshader to add bass traps to his/her theater. Different sub placement might help, if other locations are possible, but traps will help regardless.

Jeff

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom