SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ End User Review

Great review :thumbsup: Pity it can't be used in a dual av/stereo setup.

Great review :thumbsup: Pity it can't be used in a dual av/stereo setup.
It can, if you buy a small black box that adds up both L and R channels of your stereo system. You can calibrate two subwoofers fully independently :smashin: You can also calibrate thus the same subwoofer with two fully independent systems :D

Just to clarify, I don't own an AS-EQ1, a demo unit was loaned to me for a week, so I had limited time for testing etc.

With a review like that, SVS should give you an AS-EQ1 :eek:
I'm sure you have just pushed a few people off the fence and onto the phone to Subsonic Sounds...

Thanks for this excellent review Adam.
My AS-EQ1 arrives today (I had already pre-ordered from the recent batch) and the PB13U early next week.

V.

With a review like that, SVS should give you an AS-EQ1 :eek:
I'm sure you have just pushed a few people off the fence and onto the phone to Subsonic Sounds...

Agreed, Adam deserves the credit where it is due :thumbsup:

It can, if you buy a small black box that adds up both L and R channels of your stereo system. You can calibrate two subwoofers fully independently :smashin: You can also calibrate thus the same subwoofer with two fully independent systems :D

Not in the same way as the sms-1, low level input for av use, speaker input for stereo use, separate preset's, one output to the sub.

Must have a read of the As-EQ1 manual :)

I don't think reviews would be very reliable if they were done with the idea a free one was in the offing. SVS are far more professional than that.

I will no doubt get one sooner or later, I just have other priorities at the moment.

If I get the opportunity to borrow one again I will of course be delighted to have a play, maybe with 2 subs this time :)

Adam

Last edited:
Adam do you know why your unit came with leads but others who bought them had none and had to buy their own?

It doesn't come with an RCA-RCA interconnect if that is what you mean? The picture shows the optional interconnect which I think I stated as optional in the review.

Adam

It doesn't come with an RCA-RCA interconnect if that is what you mean? The picture shows the optional interconnect which I think I stated as optional in the review.

Adam

I think he may be referring to the "what's in the box" pic you posted as it features an SVS RCA cable ??

Actually seeing that I feel cheated that I didn't get one, if that's supposedly 'what's in the box' :D (only joking I have too many spare cables) ;)

I totally agree......if you could hear the difference between the sms1 and this unit i wonder if there could be room for improvement switching between the svs as-eq1 and the anti-mode 8033?

And if little difference is noted then theres know dought that the anti-mode wins hands down for its simplicity of use and price position..........(IF!!)

Posted some 8033 antimode graphs and impressions here:

Thus completely blowing his impartiality

I don't think reviews would be very reliable if they were done with the idea a free one was in the offing. SVS are far more professional than that.

Maybe my :eek: should have been a ;) for it to register as intended :clown:
I wasn't questioning anyone's impartiality.

People will be climbing down off fences though...

I look forward to similar results when my PB13U arrives. I'm tempted to do a 'dry run' of the AS-EQ1 on my old REL Q201E to get to grips with what needs to be done.

V.

Adam

I must have misread that part. :D nice review by the way :smashin:

I think he may be referring to the "what's in the box" pic you posted as it features an SVS RCA cable ??

Actually seeing that I feel cheated that I didn't get one, if that's supposedly 'what's in the box' :D (only joking I have too many spare cables) ;)

I must have misread that part. :D nice review by the way :smashin:

Perhaps I should have labelled the image a bit differently :D

Sorry for the confusion.

Adam

The anti-mode may be comparable to an SMS-1 but I seriously doubt it being in the same league as an EQ1 ;)
On what basis are you comparing the Anti-mode to an SMS-1? As someone who has spent (as recently as yesterday) three hours measuring the two back to back, I'd be interested to know.;)

Russell

With a review like that, SVS should give you an AS-EQ1 :eek
I'm sure Adam would agree, but an unbiased review can only result from the object of the review having to return to its original owner.

Knowing Adam (and his bass weird room), I fully expect him to expend his hard earned on an AS-EQ1 at the first possible opportunity. His room looks benign on a simple 2D plot, but in reality it is a real bass suck-out sod.

Personally, I hope he does expend the necessary so that the perpetual ringing noise in my head (the sound of Adam whining about his room) ceases and we can watch films round his without pissing around with bass EQ. Much as we both love it (bass EQ), a true measure of it's success is when you don't feel the need to mess with it, or even talk about it.

Finally :)god:) he looks like he's there.:D

Russell

hmm so Russell in a round about way you are saying that despite you having a long play with an Anti Mode yesterday(?) and knowing the results of Adams time with the ESQ-1, I'd guess you have also spoken at length with Adam, it seems the anti mode looses, else Adam would be saving for one of those.

Is that a correct deduction?

On what basis are you comparing the Anti-mode to an SMS-1? As someone who has spent (as recently as yesterday) three hours measuring the two back to back, I'd be interested to know.;)

Russell

I wasn't comparing on any basis if you read what I said properly :rolleyes: I simply mentioned the anti-mode doesn't use Audyssey (which is the secret ingredient and gives the WOW factor) so maybe (again I said maybe) ? the anti-mode would be more comparable to the SMS-1 in the fact that neither use Audyssey ?? although saying that, the anti-mode must win hands down for ease of use doesn't it ? and I haven't even tried one to know that ;)

Edit: would be interesting to hear your opinions on all of the EQ products seeing as you are getting an EQ1 to test, maybe an EQ shootout could be on the cards ?? assuming you have time of course :)

Last edited:
Edit: sorry misread Pauls post,

I'll go back to bed

Last edited:
I wasn't comparing on any basis if you read what I said properly :rolleyes: I simply mentioned the anti-mode doesn't use Audyssey (which is the secret ingredient and gives the WOW factor) so maybe (again I said maybe) ? the anti-mode would be more comparable to the SMS-1 in the fact that neither use Audyssey ?? although saying that, the anti-mode must win hands down for ease of use doesn't it ? and I haven't even tried one to know that ;)
I re-read your post and still feel you were making assumptions about the Anti-mode's capability, or at least placing the Anti-mode in the wrong camp a might hastily, shall we say.:)

The bit which I feel you're misunderstanding, is the interesting point about the Anti-mode which aligns it on the Audyssey side of the fence, rather than the SMS-1/BFD side; They both take into account the rooms modal issues (hence it's name) and adjust for both frequency and decay times. It's this ability that Audyssey claims separates out their technology from the traditional PEQs like the SMS-1 and BFD, but the Anti-mode does this too.

Now, whether it's the use of FIR filters that gives Audyssey the additional "wow factor" was impossible to differentiate until now, because until now there was no unit that performed calculations in the time domain like Audyssey, but used the IIR filters like the other PEQs we know and love(d).

Edit: would be interesting to hear your opinions on all of the EQ products seeing as you are getting an EQ1 to test, maybe an EQ shootout could be on the cards ?? assuming you have time of course :)
I'll have to review the two units officially and separately, but once that's done I don't see why a few back-to-back comparison waterfalls can't make their way into a thread or two!

There's no two ways about it, the Anti-mode is a very much simpler device and without pre-empting any results, it shouldn't trouble the AS-EQ1, but it's certainly going to be interesting to compare the two back to back. Imagine the fuss if the two sounded and measured the same.......:eek:

Russell

There's no two ways about it, the Anti-mode is a very much simpler device and without pre-empting any results, it shouldn't trouble the AS-EQ1, but it's certainly going to be interesting to compare the two back to back. Imagine the fuss if the two sounded and measured the same.......:eek:

Russell[/quote]

Especially as the antimode is about 1/3 of the price and much easier to use:rolleyes:

Russell

Especially as the antimode is about 1/3 of the price and much easier to use:rolleyes:
If one does not have LF problems, then perhaps a simpler and less expensive solution will suffice. But if one really has, as someone just remarked, a bass-sucking sod, then Audyssey's technology is to current room correction technology as 3D chess is to checkers.

Sorry for my first post sounding like I am a shill for Audyssey or SVS, but I am a firm believer in Audyssey and their tech. The results in my theater are testament to that.

- Jeff

Last edited:
If one does not have LF problems, then perhaps a simpler and less expensive solution will suffice. But if one really has, as someone just remarked, a bass-sucking sod, then Audyssey's technology is to current room correction technology as 3D chess is to checkers.

Sorry for my first post sounding like I am a shill for Audyssey or SVS, but I am a firm believer in Audyssey and their tech. The results in my theater are testament to that.

- Jeff

no matter mate Welcome to the forums :thumbsup: :D

Adam, great review! Just e-mailed Allister to see if they had any in stock.
If you don't get one soon! You can always borrow mine, on one condition; you will help me set up :D j

Do any of you experts live nearby? So you could just drop in one afternoon and help me tune up….As I don't really know much about how to get the best out of my system. I’ll get the lunch and beer flowing :clap:

James

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom