SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ End User Review

Nimby

You really need to work on that huge null between 60Hz and 80Hz (and above really). Have you tried using REW find the best placement for your sub?

I think you are over-dramatising the problem. Modesty prevents me from exposing my own crossover trough to public ridicule despite hours of REW and BFD adjustment. It is probably a result of an off-centre subwoofer relative to the mains. Only one speaker is responsible for my own trough.

Lampshader would have noticed a tightening of the bass simply as result of reducing the subwoofer output level. Though the higher frequencies look much improved as well. It should sound cleaner and faster as a result.

I am still not convinced that these EQ'd graphs are artificial constructs. I believe it is simply the result of applied smoothing after equalisation. It looks like whole octave smoothing to me. I have tried this on REW and achieved very similar results. (On the REW graphs) This can be very useful to adjust overall trends in response where detail really doesn't matter.

pepar

Lampshader would have noticed a tightening of the bass simply as result of reducing the subwoofer output level. Though the higher frequencies look much improved as well. It should sound cleaner and faster as a result.

I am still not convinced that these EQ'd graphs are artificial constructs. I believe it is simply the result of applied smoothing after equalisation. It looks like whole octave smoothing to me. I have tried this on REW and achieved very similar results. (On the REW graphs) This can be very useful to adjust overall trends in response where detail really doesn't matter.
Yes, of course, but your point about the generated graphs being virtual/theoretical is a good one; all of the "after" graphs look universally great. But if an "after" graph looks like Lampshader's, then there are likely quite a few locations that still have a big notch. If he/she feels like experimenting with sub locations, a better (read: less worse) spot might be found. And I'm sticking with my trap recommendation!

Nimby

You'll hear no argument from me... except that HTs and living rooms are situated in two quite different universes. :)

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I just thought I would add to this thread by saying I finally managed to save enough pennies to buy one, it is as good as I remember and has totally transformed my system :thumbsup:

Hopefully in a month or so I will be able to put it through it's paces on 2 identical subs!

Adam

pepar

I just thought I would add to this thread by saying I finally managed to save enough pennies to buy one, it is as good as I remember and has totally transformed my system :thumbsup:

Hopefully in a month or so I will be able to put it through it's paces on 2 identical subs!

Adam
Congratulations, sir! I'm interested in hearing any comments you have regarding any setup differences between your new unit and the demo.

Jeff

pepar

It was a while ago now so I can't remember any huge differences, I still needed to adjust my levels afterwards etc.

I have plotted some new graphs though showing the hideous room I have to put up with . .
Corrected looks pretty good. Slight improvement in decay adding MultEQ XT to the AS-EQ1, eh? So you overlayed the AS-EQ1 with MultEQ XT instead of using Auto EQ Assist?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Corrected looks pretty good. Slight improvement in decay adding MultEQ XT to the AS-EQ1, eh? So you overlayed the AS-EQ1 with MultEQ XT instead of using Auto EQ Assist?

I still think I get a lot of ringing caused by the Alcove but I think this is about as good as I can expect in that position. I didn't overlay MultEQ, just setup as normal with the AS-EQ1 so MultEQ is only used on the upper frequencies.

MultEQ does seem to improve the crossover area though when the AS-EQ1 is running. It doesn't work so well when it is off but then you wouldn't do that anyway.

Adam :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom