SVS AS EQ-1 discontinued - anyone know why?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Reaction score
Just heard this news, which I may or may not be slow on, but anyone know anything about this one?

I think i read somewhere they weren't making any money on it & they didn't think it would sell at a higher price point so pulled the plug.

I sorta figured that, which I assume would be down to excessive Audyssey licence fees. Its wasnt really any more powerful than XT32 which made it expensive I suppose. Such a shame, as it is actually a really good device :(

I find it funny how companies wont drop their fees in the face of a company totally dropping their product. I think having it in processors is probably the way forward.

:hiya:
I read somewhere that SVS felt that there was enough AVR with on board EQ hence no reason to have a stand alone unit.
I'm not up on current AVRs and I use a rotel 1570 & 1575 with no EQ on board preferring to just use the AS-EQ1 to sort out the base.
Blue

Are there any av receivers available that have auto/manual eq built in that can do what the svs could do, in my experience it's always about speaker calibration but they never have any adjustments to the sub down to the 20hz region?

Audyssey dropped all their offboard EQ products some time ago, so I doubt SVS had any say in the matter.

Adam

Well Ive been doing some looking about. The AS EQ-1 had apparently come to the end of its initial production run and SVS werent really making any money on it, so decided not to re-new as they didnt think it would sell at a higher cost, and AVR's have pretty much caught up with it anyway with XT32.

Has the pro kit also now been dropped. I have seen it for sale on a couple sites in the US for only $500.

The pro installer kit can be used with some AVR/Processors so no real reason to drop that yet I guess.

If course the Pro kit also works with the Audyssey Sound Equaliser and Subwoofer equaliser but not the AS-EQ1.

I imagine SVS just reiterated the excuse Audyssey was using, 'not as profitable as onboard EQ'. As SVS only licensed the tech they would have had little choice unless they fancied funding it themselves.

Shame as it is a very good product.

Adam :)

What I think SVS (or any other company) would be much better licensing the tech and integrating it into the subwoofers, and then supplying each model as a with or without eq option. No reason to sell it separately with all the processors having this function in one form or another. If the SVS DSP models we see emerging now, could also include the Audyssey function on board, in the same guise as it was in the AS EQ-1, then I think that would be much better all round for both company and the end user.

its a real shame the AS-EQ1 isnt available anymore,not everyone wants an avr or pre/pro from one of the brands with Audyssey onboard.

My buddy Ashman spent hours & hours with a behringer manual EQ effort thingy on his dual ultra's but when he added an audyssey sub eq it was a revelation.

Audyssey is doing things in the time domain it would be very hard to match with manual eq, as you have to set time delay settings that appear wrong to get the correct end result. Audyssey is also combining measurements from a number of seats before applying its eq, which again it very very hard to do well manually. I would choose Audyssey every time, and only use manual eq as a precursor to running an Audyssey device in order to get the most from it.

I am looking at a new processor, and I would really like to look at something from AudioLab etc, but lack of Audyssey puts me off and I keep coming back to the Onkyo 5509. Nobody seems brave enough to come forward and cast an opinion on a comparison. Now I cant get any sort of stand alone Audyssey system, its making the choice more complicated.

The new Rotel Processor has onboard manual PEQ and is the most recent processor to pique (groan) my interest.

I know that with the right kit and experience the pro audio calibrators reckon onboard PEQ can be better than anything Audyssey can do so, I think it may be worth investing in the right software and hardware to do it yourself?

Unfortunately what they use costs a packet but there must be better things out there than REW and a calibrated ECM8000.

XTZ now do a 'Pro Equalizer' and will be bringing out some DSP related products soon.

If all else fails by an ASEQ1 2nd hand, I may sell mine when I get my setup calibrated properly. :)

Adam

Another option if you do decide on an 8000AP is the MiniDSP, I just ordered one to have a play but it is very easy to setup an LTC, low pass and high pass filters + 6 PEQ filters for up to 4 individual channels (subs).

I think this could be a really good bit of kit and going back to DIY they also have this in their plate amps, albeit they are on the expensive side!

Adam :)

There have been solutions in the past (Dolby Lake etc) and no doubt plenty are out there, but I doubt I would be able or willing to pay the asking premiums for those systems, Audyssey in contrast is a steal. As you also point out, if you want better than REW, you have to start spending big, and again I wont be throwing money I dont have at these kinds of systems chasing that extra couple of percent performance.

If you do decide to sell the EQ-1 Adam, please send me a PM first :D

That of course doesnt make the processor choice any easier right now :blush: :(

I have got two of these units,one bought in september this year its a shame they are not going to be available any more as it was the best upgrade I ever had.Just this morning I have connected a new onkyo pr-sc5509 with audyessy xt32 and disconnected the as-eq1,done the audyessy calibration and the speakers are singing like never before but the bass has something missing.So tommorow the as-eq1 is getting put back in just to see if things can be improved.Anyone with bass problems or awkward rooms if they have the money and if you still can get hold of one of these units you will not be disappointed,I for one will not be letting mine go

The SVS unit basically runs XT32, but IIRC it can utilise more measurement positions due to using a PC to process the information. You shouldnt really notice any difference between XT32 and the EQ1, but it will be interesting to hear your thoughts tomorrow. I know people that sold their EQ-1's because they couldnt see the additional advantage over what they had in their AVRs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I will definitely post my findings moonfly.I see your interested in the 5509 it's been a revelation give it an audition if you can.I have just bought the onkyo and the marantz av 7005 both sound great,the av has been in my lounge for a couple of weeks and is running a 5.1 system with the as-eq1 and it's really impressed an improvement from the Denon avr 4308 it replaced.The onkyo is running in 9.1 with extra front wides in a dedicated cinema room and do make the front soundstage swell beyond what 3 speakers can achieve.Going from a Denon avc-a1xva with the as-eq1 the bass is not as flat and integrated as it was but the speakers are really singing.:thumbsup:

My Denon AVP is away being upgraded to XT32 at the moment & having lived with XT for the last 3 years I wouldn't buy another pre/pro without it,obviously the bass is the biggest problem but what it does to blend the satellites shouldn't be underestimated,when I switch audyssey off or to bypass front L/R the soundstage collapses & I can't believe I used to think it sounded good before :laugh:

I have just put my EQ-1 back in my system run the calibration of 12 positions,then run the xt32 on the pr-sc 5509 using the full 8 point calibration.Then tested the system with the same movie as yesterday and my bass is now tighter and less boomy than it was without the EQ-1 so in conclusion I think EQ-1 still is a great piece of kit and it will be staying put for the foreseeable future.Also xt32 is fantastic as well my system has never sounded so good.Its a real shame they are discontinuing this model as I still believe it does the job over and above what xt32 can achieve .

I have just put my EQ-1 back in my system run the calibration of 12 positions

Sounds like you are getting better results from the additional mic positions as xt32 has the same resolution as the eq1,thats a good reason to get hold of a pro kit & use it to set up the xt 32 taking time to make lots of readings throughout the listening area,great info ajcasey :thumbsup:

That would really boil down to if those extra measurement positions are making more of a difference, as the base software is the same. Its clear it does in your case at least, although I have found in some rooms this isnt the case. I do agree though that its a quality piece of kit all round. Did you by-pass the bass management of your AVR, or are your running the EQ and XT32 together?

That would really boil down to if those extra measurement positions are making more of a difference, as the base software is the same. Its clear it does in your case at least, although I have found in some rooms this isnt the case. I do agree though that its a quality piece of kit all round. Did you by-pass the bass management of your AVR, or are your running the EQ and XT32 together?

Running both together

Hmm, well the AS EQ-1 manual advises against this (instead it says you should bypass the AVRs eq), but with them both being the same system I guess in theory you have only increased the number of filters and increased the measurements numbers. Sounds like a winner.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom