SVS Advice

swall101

Hi All.... looking to purchase a sub now I’ve moved whereby I won’t annoy neighbours! I’ve attached a floor plan of my lounge and would like some advice please. The last time I had a sub it was the M&K MX 350MKII and was fantastic for movies, real chest slam for action scenes. So I think I’m going to go SVS route and have been looking at SB3000 and PB3000. The former I like due to size but would love your thoughts on whether I’d get the same impact as the M&K or better off going for the PB version? Thanks in advance....
ADF7247A-1D8A-4FF5-AFC5-1D0045A16910.jpeg

Tom @ Cinehome

AVForums Sponsor
An SB3000 will deliver lots of chest slam for movies and goes deep.

The PB3000 will ultimately dig a bit deeper and deliver a more visceral experience at very low frequencies. Also with the PB you have the option of running it in sealed mode, although if you do that you could have bought the smaller SB model.

Both are fantastic subwoofers. Ultimately it may depend on how much you want the smaller footprint of the SB or the more visceral output of the PB.

swall101

Hi Tom

Thanks for reply it is appreciated. My preference would be for the smaller footprint as will enable me to be more flexible with placement and if at some point in the future if needed add a second sub.

l’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos and whereby they have indicated PB for movies SB for music and albeit I will use for music it will be predominantly movies. As I’ve not got anything to compare with other than the M&K previously owned didn’t want to feel disappointed if I went for the SB.... which from your reply I don’t think I will.

All opinions greatly appreciated :smashin:

rccarguy2

You may want to consider duals to get flatter response. Three are also Arendel and monoprice subs to consider maybe bk also.

Svs are no longer value for money.

Look into subwoofer eq also.

I prefer sealed box myself.

swall101

You may want to consider duals to get flatter response. Three are also Arendel and monoprice subs to consider maybe bk also.

Svs are no longer value for money.

Look into subwoofer eq also.

I prefer sealed box myself.

Thanks for the advice... in regards to output and my room size am I in the right ballpark?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
There is dramatic size difference between those two. Check the first video few minutes to get better understanding how they look in room and the 2nd clip Youthman tells you how they differ with movies and music, so listen that one fully. There is lot of feedback for SB3000 here at AVF too. Hard hitting bass, measured performance similar to larger 15" sealed models at the 40-80hz region (chest slam). The small size would help you to add 2nd later in future.

PB3000 can be got for 1316£ at AVO new grade-b refurb unit with full warranty in mint condition! This HCC review talked both 3000 models. One member bought SB3000 while ago and was blown, as good as some expensive JL F113? model, then he tried PB3000 and it was game over, kept it. Hope the member sees this as i can´t remember who it was.

Tom @ Cinehome

AVForums Sponsor
I highly rate the SB3000. Compact size, high performance and aesthetically excellent. Loads of slam. Hard to fault really.

Best, Tom

swall101

There is dramatic size difference between those two. Check the first video few minutes to get better understanding how they look in room and the 2nd clip Youthman tells you how they differ with movies and music, so listen that one fully. There is lot of feedback for SB3000 here at AVF too. Hard hitting bass, measured performance similar to larger 15" sealed models at the 40-80hz region (chest slam). The small size would help you to add 2nd later in future.

PB3000 can be got for 1316£ at AVO new grade-b refurb unit with full warranty in mint condition! This HCC review talked both 3000 models. One member bought SB3000 while ago and was blown, as good as some expensive JL F113? model, then he tried PB3000 and it was game over, kept it. Hope the member sees this as i can´t remember who it was.
Thanks for the videos. There certainly is a massive size difference when you see them side by side! I think the SB will be more practical for me and again making it easier for adding a second sub down the line in regards to positioning in the room.

Youthman certainly is an excitable chap... slaaaaaam!!

Do the sound isolation feet really make that much difference? I have engineered hardwood floors on concrete...

rccarguy2

Thanks for the videos. There certainly is a massive size difference when you see them side by side! I think the SB will be more practical for me and again making it easier for adding a second sub down the line in regards to positioning in the room.

Youthman certainly is an excitable chap... slaaaaaam!!

Do the sound isolation feet really make that much difference? I have engineered hardwood floors on concrete...
Yeah that's the problem with higher end ported subs they're massive.

Have a look at the JTR capvivator ulf 4000 it's as big as fridge/freezer

swall101

Yeah that's the problem with higher end ported subs they're massive.

Have a look at the JTR capvivator ulf 4000 it's as big as fridge/freezer
Wow you need a cinema to house that thing!! surely overkill for a domestic property!

rccarguy2

Wow you need a cinema to house that thing!! surely overkill for a domestic property!

Yeah unless huge room. I have svs sbu13 and realistically that is all I can fit, another will be ok but certainly not dual huge driver ported box, I wouldn't want them sticking into the room or blocking speakers, sofa or walk way

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210305-211857.png
    Screenshot_20210305-211857.png
    906.5 KB · Views: 17

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom