1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS advice please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AngelEyes, Jul 31, 2004.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    Hi Guys,

All this talk of SVS subs has really got me keen on buying one (makes Homer type drooling noises). I am probably jumping the gun a bit as I want to upgrade all my kit in the next 12 months. So the question I want to ask is:

'Will getting an SVS PC+ or Ultra be a complete waste of time with my current setup?'

I imagine the answer is probably 'yes' but it is probably the most dissapointing part of my current system.

Thanks for your help.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Oh yes, you cant possibly join the club with a system like that ;) :laugh:

I think upgrading the sub would be worthwhile no matter what you own. I upgraded all my equipment in one go, but if I hadnt had the funds available then an upgraded sub would have been first on the list.

Do you find your sub is unable to cope with very LF information ? Does it bottom out? make chuffing noises? doesnt give any real impact? If you answer yes to any of those questions I wouldnt hesitate.

One word of warning. An SVS is a big poweful monster, I have found it difficult to set it up in a square room, this is probably true of all 'super subs'.
    You will be buying an 'ultimate' sub. The things you hear about SVS are not exaggerated. Its the difference between a family car and an F1, just make sure you have the track to run it on.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dependant on what sort of films you watch the answer is a resounding "NO"

If you are into any kind of film containing action or music the addition of a decent subwoofer is arguably the biggest difference that you can make to an existing AV system.

For anyone thinking of buying an SVS at some stage I paid about £740 for my 20-39 PC Plus a year ago which was incredible value. As the dollar has been floundering around since then the current price is about £90 - £100 cheaper than I paid making an SVS an even better bargain than it was last year.

The risk that anyone runs is in movement of the exchange rate as it could go back up to last summer's levels or it could sink again.

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    Oh Goodie!

Well my next question would be which one?

I like the idea of a PC+ or even the ultra but would they be too much for my room. i don't listen too loudly but like the idea of getting the lowest bass possible.

I drawn a pic of my room to see if you can give me advice about type and placement (A,B or C?).

[​IMG]

(Sorry walls are 11 inch not nine).

Thanks

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The cylindrical subs all have a 16" foorprint but will perform better if given at least a couple of inches of free space around it.

6. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    just testing my new browser it lets me respond
    i hope
    I use a pb2+ buy one they are fantastic!

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Your room is exactly the same dimensions as mine. My guess. You will suffer from uneven bass response. The stock answer seems to be to get a BFD as well. I have been given a site to look at, but cant seeem to find said beasty, but FYI I found one here http://www.soundmastersdirect.co.uk/10/174/sub_2.htm

dont forget, you need to budget for a decent sub cable. Mark Grant, who is on the forum can supply. If your buying a BFD you will need 2 of them. You will also need an SPL meter (you may as well get that off the SVS site) and download the frequency sweeps off snapbug.

Which SVS to get hmmmm difficult. I went for the Ultra, but I really doubt theres much difference between that and the standard plus range. The PB2+ looks good and I still wonder if it would have been a better option for me.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Ah inglenooks and woodburners! The sweet smell of apple smoke. :)

If you can afford the Ultra then buy it without question. It will keep you amused for years. It will match whatever you can ever afford in system upgrades until it fades and grows grey with old age (or you do). It will fill any room you move into with superb, glorious bass well beyond the the limit of what is possible for its price elsewhere. etc.etc. :D

Downside is that you will want to upgrade the rest of your kit to match its
    power and clarity. :blush:

A small price to pay? Only you can tell. :cool:

Nimby

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Thats another problem I have encountered. Im using 3 cheapo MS CS1s until the Critiques are completed and I think there is quite a mismatch (not the SVS fault). I have purchased a pair of Energy CR3 rears and suddenly the sound has come together at the rear, making the temporary speakers sound really :censored: Its like everything is back to front. Great rears, fantastic sub and :censored: fronts. So your quite right about upgrading, if your kit isnt great.