SVS - A dissenting voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

installer09

Ex Member
Reaction score
Nimby , make sure you get a listen of the 16-46 if you havnt already , I recently had a demo of a pair of these and was very dissapointed.

Originally posted by installer09
Nimby , make sure you get a listen of the 16-46 if you havnt already , I recently had a demo of a pair of these and was very dissapointed.

Hi,

A single voice of dissent in the crowd of flag wavers?

A timely warning. I was going to place my order on Monday after reading the website to death. Reading all the mag reviews including all the online owner reports.

I haven't seen a single negative word until now.

There's no way for me to hear one without a plane ticket.

Please tell us more. One can learn far more from a lone critical voice than any number of well wishers. I am seriously interested in what you have to say. You may have saved me from an expensive mistake. None of us can afford too many of those. :blush:

NIMBY

Originally posted by NIMBY
I haven't seen a single negative word until now.

Please tell us more. One can learn far more from a lone critical voice than any number of well wishers.

For other opinions on SVS why not have a look at the American AVS forum here or perhaps the Home Theater Spot forum here or perhaps the Home Theater Forum here

For reviews, why not look at Secrets of Home Theater which we are reliably informed is one of the best review sites on the planet here

I will send you a PM later tonight that may clear up one or two things for you :rolleyes:

Thanks Ian.

I've really been doing my homework on those reviews and await installer09's response with great interest. Perhaps his standards are simply higher than mine. :)

NIMBY

You have pm Nimby :)

Originally posted by installer09
You have pm Nimby :)

Installer09

Is there any point in asking you to repeat your criticisms of SVS subwoofers (made in your private messages to me) to a wider audience?

If only to protect others from such dangerous and poor value for money equipment as SVS dumps on the unsuspecting AV subwoofer enthusiast across the globe.

Tell them how the glowing worldwide SVS reviews are all lies and that <all> Velo subs <at all levels> are simply without competition from <any> SVS subwoofer.

You are the expert. Tell them the truth. They're bound to believe <you>.

I nearly did. :D

NIMBY

Do we really have do go down that road?:rolleyes:

Thank you Smurfin , Nimby if you need to ask why I pmed you , you need to do some more homework, im sure Ian J will enlighten you , you should have made it clear you just wanted everyone to endorse what you are going to buy and if anyone had an oppinion other than that svs subs are great not to reply! You wanted my oppinion and I gave you it , sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

I am not going to have a slanging match with you installer09.

I do not need the approval of anyone in my equipment purchases. Never have & never will. Otherwise I simply wouldn't have the kit I own.

But nor do I need a "spoiler" to twist the truth in an attempt to put me off a product which offers incredible value for money in comparison with almost anything avaliable. And which, more to the point, many can actually afford. Particularly in comparison with your favoured product.

Read the glowing worldwide magazine reviews of SVS products.

Read the forum member's enthusiastic posts on SVS.

Read the delighted SVS owner's online reviews.

End of subject.

Best regards

NIMBY

Well I hope you are happy with your purchass , sorry I havnt agreed with the masses , but I like to buy products that sound good to me , I find it unbelivable you are arguing over this when you havn't even heard one . I have and didnt think much of it . Sorry if that offends you.

I am now waiting for Harold Corbett or Steve Thornes to turn up to tell everyone that their SVS has caught fire :rolleyes:

Let's hope that the bad old days aren't back again.

Installer09, could you be more specific what it is about the SVS subs you don't like?
Where did you here two such beasts? Perhaps a more constructive report on how the subs performed would be quite interesting to us all.

I am now waiting for Harold Corbett or Steve Thornes to turn up to tell everyone that their SVS has caught fire

Is that smoke I smell???

installer09:

Why did you have to go about things this way? I intend to get a SVS as some point and if/when I do, if it is poor I will tell everyone about it. The pming people seems very strange to me. Why not just post a description of your demo of the SVS and let others decide for themselves.

I refuse to make hard comments on anything unless I've heard it myself. If you have had a negative experience with SVS I invite you to share it with us. If need be I'll help you fend off the dogs.

Nobody can comment on the performance of a product without hearing it first. Reviews are very rough guides at best.

So its laughable that you defend it on reputation alone. How foolish would you look after this if you shelled out all that money and then posted on here that it was the worst AV mistake you've made.

If installer has indeed demoed it and doesn't have an ulterior motive then if he doesn't like the sound then thats his perogative. THX also has also made comments that were anything but pro-SVS, in his case he cited room problems so perhaps this is what installer encountered?

Just because someone offered there opinion, you don't have to go off at the deep end.

If you're interested there are a few owners of SVS PC+'s on this forum, Ian for example. I'm sure if you asked <nicely> they would be willing to demo for you. Even if you have to do a few miles for the demo, you would at least know if its right for you before handing over £700.

Originally posted by Daneel
installer09:

Why did you have to go about things this way? I intend to get a SVS as some point and if/when I do, if it is poor I will tell everyone about it. The pming people seems very strange to me.

It was probably a a response to this

Originally posted by Ian J
I will send you a PM later tonight that may clear up one or two things for you :rolleyes:

Having heared an SV sub I can understand those who love them and those that don't rate them (it isn't just Installer09). They are certainly different.

Jeff, can you elaborate on those who don't rate them? I have to say that even those who prefer Hsu or Veolodyne, assuming they aren't total fanboys, give respect to SVS.

Originally posted by Daneel
Jeff, can you elaborate on those who don't rate them? I have to say that even those who prefer Hsu or Veolodyne, assuming they aren't total fanboys, give respect to SVS.

Personally, and I'm sure I speak for many people when I say this....subwoofers such as the "usual suspects" - i.e SVS and Velodyne - are way too tied to forum "politics" and all those linked to the politics. Shame everything has to resort to PMs because of this.

As we know, all subs react differently in different rooms, and I'm sure some SVS subs - like the Servo 15s or big Velos - will sound crap in one room and great in another, and thus it all becomes so very subjective. But then again, there's nothing wrong with this. If we all agreed, wouldn't it be boring?:)

I have no interest in forum politics.
I am here to learn and hopefully pass on what little I know of the subject matter.

I am amazed that anyone should be so biassed against an AV product that they aren't willing to speak openly about the product on the forum. I am also amazed that anyone should think I am defending the product without hearing it. Quote me word for word on the forum where I have praised or defended the product.
I have quite openly suggested reading the reviews. What else?

Those who have the true conviction of their feelings on this subject should share it with all the others. Not send private mails.
This after all is why it is called an "AV forum".
And not "The AV private mail service".

Let's hear from the owners who love them.
And from the owners who wish they had never heard of SVS.
Quite frankly I would still like to hear from the latter rather than the former. But I am talking about owners here. Not those who got a snatch at another person's home while they were showing off a few deafening demo DVDs. Owning a product teaches you far more than demoing something different every day of your life.

Be as critical as you like about a product you own. Your points will be asborbed and we will all learn and move on.

Subwoofers are by a huge margin the most room sensitive AV product on earth. Listen in a broom cupboard and you'll be disappointed. Listen in a large room and you might still be disappointed if it can't produce the dBs. Though I know which I prefer.

I built two large passive subwoofers without ever being able hear them first and never regretted it for a moment. Years of fun and musical pleasure for very little outlay.
If they still matched my replacement floorstanders I wouldn't even need SVS. But now I need an active subwoofer in order to enjoy my floorstanders properly.

I learnt a great deal here on REL and MJA and B&W and then finally discovered SVS here.

If the PCi 16-46 that I'm ordering today doesn't do it for me I can virtually guarantee a profit if I sell it. I just wait for the dollar to rise again and "unload" it onto a delighted AV fan after a decent home demo. How can I possibly lose? What can the new buyer possibly lose except his friendly neighbours?

People buy, sell and even make AV kit endlessly. There is even a classified ads service on the forum website.

So what's all this fuss about?
It's just another subwoofer! Isn't it?
Get a life! :D

NIMBY

I have no interest in forum politics.
I am here to learn and hopefully pass on what little I know of the subject matter.

I am amazed that anyone should be so biassed against an AV product that they aren't willing to speak openly about the product on the forum. I am also amazed that anyone should think I am defending the product without hearing it. Quote me word for word on the forum where I have praised or defended the product.

I can't remember the last post I saw with so much sarcasm:

Installer09

Is there any point in asking you to repeat your criticisms of SVS subwoofers (made in your private messages to me) to a wider audience?

If only to protect others from such dangerous and poor value for money equipment as SVS dumps on the unsuspecting AV subwoofer enthusiast across the globe.

Tell them how the glowing worldwide SVS reviews are all lies and that <all> Velo subs <at all levels> are simply without competition from <any> SVS subwoofer.

You are the expert. Tell them the truth. They're bound to believe <you>.

I nearly did. :D

NIMBY

You then said all this which sounds very much like defending SVS to me:

I am not going to have a slanging match with you installer09.

I do not need the approval of anyone in my equipment purchases. Never have & never will. Otherwise I simply wouldn't have the kit I own.

But nor do I need a "spoiler" to twist the truth in an attempt to put me off a product which offers incredible value for money in comparison with almost anything avaliable. And which, more to the point, many can actually afford. Particularly in comparison with your favoured product.

End of subject.

Best regards

NIMBY

Don't get me wrong, given what I have gleaned over the past few months I am reasonably confident that you will be very happy with your new subs from SVS, but what you said wasn't right and there seems to be a lynch mob after Installer09 for his opinion.

To post anti svs openly on forum tends to lead to inevitable arguement, i can understand why installer did by pm...... unfortunately its turned into arguement anyhow

ad

What sarcasm? :)

Installer09 has only to voice his criticism of the SVS products on the forum rather than in prvate messages. His points may then be debated openly.
By sending me private messages my feeling was (perhaps erronously on my part) that he had something to hide or is biassed against the product because of his loyalty to another sub manufacturer. And why not? It's a free choice. But let's discuss it openly where I can hear other opinions from those who know both products. Remember that I haven't heard either.

Nobody wants an open discussion on their own personal responses to the SVS cylinder subs more than I do. I want to hear what's wrong with them and haven't heard a single word on here yet. I have read enough praise here and elsewhere to cause me to buy one.
Tell me in plain words what I should be considering before shelling out this morning?

Daneel

I'm afraid your understanding of the quotes from my posts is entirely different to mine. But all things in life are subjective.

Jeff

Why haven't you come forwards with some more constructive points? You seem to have an opinion..........you've heard one....and?

What does " certainly different" mean in this context?
Who doesn't "rate them" and <more importantly> why don't they?

I'm going to order one in less than an hour. I need to hear why I shouldn't rush in and buy this SVS.

Anyone? :)

NIMBY

Hi Daneel
At the end of the day its down to the individual on what sub you buy,ive heard quite a few subs and the svs tops all of them. nathan silly would have let everyone know if his svs wasnt up to the job and he was really impressed with his sub which he posted on audio reveiws.
All i can say is take the chance the subs are great performers if my svs had been a dissapointment i would have soon moved it on.
The choice is yours.
PS if anyone wants to hear my svs they are welcome to come over to my place for a listen.
Cheers Gonzo.:)

Originally posted by Smurfin

As we know, all subs react differently in different rooms, and I'm sure some SVS subs - like the Servo 15s or big Velos - will sound crap in one room and great in another, and thus it all becomes so very subjective. But then again, there's nothing wrong with this. If we all agreed, wouldn't it be boring?:)

Excellent, these are all premium products that will work differently in different rooms. Acoustics is everything here

Now I wish I had thought of that :devil: There is always more than one way to skin an orange

installer, after reading all this go take a listen to your DD18 and then tell yourself that SVS demo was disappoinring again ;)

I'm with you on this, make a critisicm and you get Nimby acting like a 14 year old spoilt brat. SVS probably are very good for the money but its rather childish to lambaste somebody because of a particular belief

Quote me word for word on the forum where I have praised or defended the product.

Let the hole digging begin :rotfl:

End of subject.

:rolleyes: :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom