svs 20-39pc+ ( The right sub?)

owenfarmer

Having sold my PV1 on here, i have gone and ordered the svs 20-39pc+, following some reading on these forums about this sub and the one below(25-31pc+) want to make sure i have ordered the right one for me. First of all i read the smaller sub goes louder but not lower? i thought mine would have done both for me! Secondly i read that most films dont go below 20hz- so why the need for 12-18hz on the 20-39pc+? My room size is 13' x 13' ceiling height is 11'. My reciever is an Onkyo 875 and my speakers are B+W M 1 satelites, spoke to av sales about this and was advised on the 20-39 and i have read nothing but praise for them and have been impressed with how helpfull they have been to me. Have i ordered the right sub? or will it be a little bit of overkill? with me not benefitting frokm the larger sub in my room.
Any thoughts would be great thanks.

Owen

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Secondly i read that most films dont go below 20hz- so why the need for 12-18hz on the 20-39pc+?
I believe the Organmeister, AKA Nimby, can shed some light on the delights of how low pipe organ music can go. Teeth rattling stuff by all accounts. You may not "hear" 15Hz but you will certainly feel it!

owenfarmer

The reason why the PV1 had to go was the lack of slam when watching HD and Blu-ray movies, especially with the amp i've got!

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Well, this puppy will give you more than enough "slam". I believe the design and effect was based on the US Airforce's bombing strategy known as "Rolling Thunder". You will be shocked and awed!!

owenfarmer

Thanks Bob, think i will stop digging around as we all do, and just go with advice and prepare to be shocked! Can't imagine what Matrix HD will sound like:D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Make sure everthing loose is secured down(I mean it) I have that sub in a similar sized room and ornaments have fell off the fireplace & windowsill more than once.

You will love it and you will see a huge difference between the PV1 & the SVS.:devil:

owenfarmer

Will it be ok placed next to equipment rack and front right speaker?
Plasma is up on the wall and a conventional 5.1 set-up in my room.
Also i know i will be getting the spl meter with the sub, but what about the audyssey auto set-up on my Onkyo 875 will that do a better job than me of setting up?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Placement of the cylinders does not generally throw up any issues that you can seem to get with the box subs.

I just plonked mine down, plugged it in, set the crossover on the receiver to 80hz & bypass on the sub and job done.Volume on the sub set at around 11 O'clock & all seems well.

I am sure some day I will get round to getting my meter out and fiddling around but it just seems to work where it is,set as it is.

Andori

Going back to point out something in the original post. The smaller sub (25-31) is the PCi with the same driver as the PB12-NSD, it's not a PC+, the 20-39 has the plus driver and I believe also allows you to play with the tuning by plugging ports. In the US you get the choice of mix and match the 3 tube sizes with the 3 driver options, but in the EU we are stuck with a choice of 1 driver option per tube size.

Ian J

Banned
My feeling is that the 20-39 PC Plus is the best compromise of size, performance and cost in the whole SVS range and I'm never wrong (according to my wife)

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
What is nice is that if the rather unusual 13x13x11ft room does throw up any problems, the single band PEQ will probably be able to nail the likely peaks of all three dimensions and certainly the likely one generated by the two 13ft dimensions.

@Owen.

1.The PV-1 will become a rapidly fading memory.;)

2. As regards Audyssey, well that's worth a forum in it's own right, but FWIW, run it after you've tried all other methods of tuning the subs performance. And once you have run it, do not use REW, or some such, to figure out what it has done.

Russell

Ian J

Banned
what about the audyssey auto set-up on my Onkyo 875 will that do a better job than me of setting up?
I have the Onkyo 875 and having set up my speakers using Audyssey I was dreadfully disappointed at the sound it produced until someone suggested that I switch the Audyssey off whereupon the overall sound improved tenfold.

Nimby

2. As regards Audyssey, well that's worth a forum in it's own right, but FWIW, run it after you've tried all other methods of tuning the subs performance. And once you have run it, do not use REW, or some such, to figure out what it has done.

Russell
That's a bit cryptic, that is. :confused:

I think we deserve an explanation of your thinking. :)

neilybealy

i bought the 875 and the svs 20-39 just after Christmas and i am blown away by the bass

it makes me smile everytime i listen :thumbsup:

stevefish69

I lived very happily with the 20-39PC+ for about three years before getting greedy and changing to the Ultra :D

My room is a silmilar size to yours, and believe me you won't be dissapointed. As Kbfern warned, grab yourself some Blu-Tac and secure all loose items including picture frames which would otherwise rattle and jump around.

philmate

At AV sales i listened to the SB 12, the smaller cylinder, 20-39+ and the ultra box, big beast prob not for your avg lounge but more than good for an av room which most people on this forum can only dream of. The 20/39 was superb to my ears/bones, the finish,size and footprint to my eyes was far better and easier to accomomadate than i expected, though as yet i have not bought one, but i would if finances allowed.The higher output at certain freq of the smaller unit did not make any difference to my listening, i much prefered the 20/39.
Phil.

owenfarmer

Thanks to all you guys for your posative posts! really can't wait to get delivery of my new sub- will report my first impressions, your feedback makes the forums the place it is,(sorry if that sounds sickly, it's nice of people to help though!)
Owen

Nimby

Thanks to all you guys for your posative posts! really can't wait to get delivery of my new sub- will report my first impressions, your feedback makes the forums the place it is,(sorry if that sounds sickly, it's nice of people to help though!)
Owen
We're not immune to a bit of flattery. :D

And if you don't like it... we know where you live! :devil: