1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS 20-39PC+ = subwoofer heaven

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kbfern, Jul 11, 2005.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,364
    I have been trying to find a used SVS clinder for the last few weeks without any luck and was about to buy a new PB10-ISD.

Then on Saturday I struck gold and saw a 20-39 PC+ for sale from someone on these very forums and like a shot I was down to Kent with the readys. Bingo and Bobs your uncle I am now the owner of a used PC+ for what I was going to pay for the PB10.

I did have a demo of both these subs at IanJ's last week(thanks one more time Ian)and whilst impressed I still was not quite convinced that I was going to get a meaningfull improvement on my current sub (paradigm PS1000).

Well I set the sub up today and all I can say is WOW! I nearly shat myself when I played the scene of Darla taping the fishtank in finding Nemo( I listen at or near reference level).

The paradigm would go loud and low and pressurise the room, but this beast just trounces it.I may not have it properly set up yet as I can't find my SPL meter but the sub is set at -4db on the receiver (Denon 3802) and output on the sub is at 11 o'clock (less than 50% output) I had it set at -3db & 1 o'clock to start with and the sub bottomed out a couple of times on Master and comander battle scene.I don't know what Db level I am getting but it's bloody loud.

Anyway I am now in subwoofer heaven and can't think I will ever need to upgrade my main sub again(at least till this one breaks), what a bargain thanks Chris from Kent who sold it to me.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations Keith on you're new Toy :thumbsup: I love reading threads like this, as this is what AV is all about!!

I'm sure you will be going thru all you're DVD's now like they are new ones ;)

Regards
    John

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    I always like threads like these...nothing like your first gut-wrenching subwoofer:D

However, your post is completely inaccurate.......

Haha you're doomed....that's what we all said :D

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,364
    Hi John

Thanks for the comments,as you say I will have to replay a good few of my dvd's to be bowled over again and again.I haven't had such a big smile on my face (av wise that is)since I first viewed my Sanyo Z1 around 2 years ago.I thought then that I got a huge bang for my buck and the SVS has just done it for me again.

Going to be watching flight of the pheonix tonight the bass is suposed to be awsome.

The PS1000 has been relegated to my lounge set up (its still one hell of a sub) and I will be selling one of my other 2 subs (American make Atlantic Technology) as I now have one sub surplus to requirements.

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Got my PC Ultra last year. I still can't envisage ever wanting to upgrade it.
    It is almost subwoofer perfection in my view.

I've spent many thousands of pounds on pretty high end AV gear, and the SVS PC Ultra (possible the least expensive component in my system!!) is the only unit I would say is absolutely safe from upgrade-itis.

My brother has a PC+ 25/31 and he feels the same about his.
    Staggering, and you too will be smiling every time you turn it on.

Try The Incredibles, and play the scene just after Mr Incredible jumps in the train to Syndrome's place. If you're not ready for it, you'll nearly poop your pants!

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,364
    Just finnished watching flight of the Phoenix,Feking awsome!!!!!!!!!!!! the movie 8/10
    sound excluding bass 9/10 bass 20/10.....................

When I was e-mailing Ron Stimpson last week about buying the PB10 he said the PB10 would peel the paint off the walls

**** me Ron I ain't go no walls left to peel the paint off now!!!!!!!!

This movie is awsome for the bass you guys got to listen to it to belive.

Movie:£12.99
    Subwoofer:£420 (second hand)

Smile on my face: Priceless

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,364
    Jules

If the PC plus is this good I can't imagine what the Ultra must be like.You Lucky barsteward,unless i move to a much larger house/cinema room I can't see me needing to upgrade from the PC+.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    The PC+ keeps up with the Ultra nearly all the way. You really aren't missing out too much.
    I just didn't want to go to the trouble of importing something, only to wonder what it could have been like if I'd got the better model.

Having listened to my brother's 25/31 PC+, the differences in tone are subtle, and I've never been brave enough to get anywhere near testing the power limitations of either model.

Both are brilliantly agile with music too!

I've had 3 more costy subs than this beforehand (REL / KEF etc), but even the smaller SVS blows them, away.

9. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I origonally wanted to watch U571 tonight but was informed because of previous viewings that it'd be best left for a daytime neigbours out film

Ended up watching Spideman 2 with my Boy instead. SPL meter on peak on the sofa, just to see what we were getting atthe listening point.

I only have the sub set at 10 o'clock and the Amp at -3db. This was listening at -15db volume. During the Lab accident Scene bass peaked at 116db :eek:

Both myself and the missus looked at each other with big grins on our faces :devil: and I can honestly say that i've never heard or felt pressure like this ANYWHERE.

Something tells me that i'm gonna get a few more moments like this as i find out what stretched the SVS's legs.

What else is quite suprising is that the normal bass seems to have dispearsed in to the room. Maybe it was that my old Kef 2010 had more Boom than Bass. Sounds bloody good to the ear though.

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,364
    Steve

Along with the grin on your face that you get everytime you watch a film with any serious bass in it, comes the satisfaction that you paid £420 and others have paid much more and swaped and changed many times and have not experienced the sheer gut wrenching bass that we have!!!!!!!!!

11. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Steve - have you put on Darla yet? :devil: :devil: :eek: