1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS 20-39PC Plus or REL Stampede

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by galewis1, Sep 27, 2004.

1. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I need to replace my sub as it is out of sync with the rest of my system following recent upgrades. I currently own a mark 1 KEF sub from the original egg sub/sat KHT2005 system. I have upgraded the fronts and centre speakers to KEF XQ1's and QX2C respectively and have kept two eggs for surround effects. All being driven from an Arcam DV89 and AVR300.

My room is a 5m by 3m rectangle, solid oak floor onto screed. I listen to music and watch movies across the short axis of the room (i.e. less than 3 metres from the front speakers)

The sub needs to be good for music 60/40 split over movies and integrate well with my XQ1's. I have listened to the REL Stampede and am very impressed for £625 in the lovely oak finish I want.

Not heard the SVS range, but gets rave reviews here. I had thought about the 25-31 model, but from reading up on it, it appears it may be a little light weight for movies (even those tuned down to 22hz apparantly).

I've therefore been thinking about the 20-39. Can anyone confirm a total cost to my door for this sub? $825 list price works out at £456, but what about duty and delivery etc to UK? Anyone care to draw comparisons on it against the Stampede? I know the better half would insist that it would be hidden in the corner behind and armchair, whereas she'd be happy to have the Stampede on display. Any issues with this? Is it musical? If anyone close to Peterborough has one, I'd be eternally grateful for a demo :D

I have ruled out the Velodynes. I dunno.... it's just something about the way they look...

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Gary

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello galewis1,

That is not true i owned the 25-31 and believe you me it is not lightweight with movies, i did used to own the rel strata 5 and the SVS wiped the floor with it for shear power and slam.
    I would say the 39 has more headroom than the 31 and if you could live with it being bigger then go for it.

John :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The 20-39 PC plus will cost you about £675 to your door including all taxes paid. I upgraded from a REL Storm to the 20-39 PC Plus and it is light years ahead in terms of slam, depth and distortion.

The disadvantage is the size as there is no getting away from the fact that it is large but it is manufactured with no compromises at all. A friend of mine has one completely hidden away behind a 50" RPTV set but most of us won't be that lucky. I don't think that they are as difficult to position as many other subs though as mine is just chucked in a corner

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    With your preference towards music, it might be an idea to look at the PC Ultra, I prefer the 'sound' of the Ultra driver compared to the plus driver.

The plus driver is fantastic, and can do everything that is mentioned above, but, after hearing both a PB2+ and a PC Ultra (though I must add, in different rooms), my preference was for the PC Ultra sound. I just heard more of the lower frequencies and their tone variations with the Ultra Driver. BUT, whether that is worth the £250-£300 extra you will pay for it door to door is another thing.

One thing I will add, the SVS sub delivers the cleanest bass I have ever heard, very little distortion, I doubt there is much to match it unless you spend at least double, I am VERY happy with my PC Ultra. The 20-39 PC+ should blow away that Stampede you heard, musically and cinematically.

5. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the responses guys...

Other than hitting the order button, do I need to do anything else... I read alot of posts regarding BAX etc, but it all gets a bit confusing.

Am I to assume that SVS sort out all the details of getting it to my door? I appreciate that I pay SVS for the sub and the shipping, and BAX for the taxes and UK costs etc., but in terms or organising it all, do I need to anything?

Gary

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary.

On the order once placed you select collect or delivery from airport, oh and ask for 220v version and SVS do the rest, untill it arrives in the UK, then BAX will call you to arrange delivery :smashin:

7. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that John.... Sounds Easy :clap:

Anyone perceive any problems integrating the 20-39 with the XQ1's for stereo?

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary i would not think there would be an issue the Kef's are very good speakers so just a bit of tweaking on the crossovers ;)

9. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    How much notice do you get from bax,i would like to take the day off work when mines about to turn up.

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bob1,

If you are like me and impatient, i was tracking it and phoned BAX the day it arrived but they said it needed to clear thru customs, they then called me the following day and we arranged a convenient time to deliver.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They will telephone you to confirm when they will deliver as that will ensure that you are around to give them a cheque / cash / cc payment for the duty

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    None whatsoever :)

13. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the responses everyone....

Anyone in the Peterborough area +-30 miles or so, willing to let me have a listen to a 20-39 :D !!!

Actually anything SVS will do, just to give me a flavour of what they're capable of.

I really am the most sociable of chaps..... I could even bring along a few beers for the trouble!!! ;)

Cheers

Gary

14. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks ,looks like i will be able to gauge what day to take off ,sort of.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If no-one closer offers you are more than welcome to visit Tamworth and hear mine