1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS 20-39 PCi - Total cost door to door

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by guccismith, Aug 24, 2005.

1. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Been reading the forum for a good while now.......I think the next purchase has to be a decent sub (well my first one actually!)

It will be SVS......most likely the PCi 20-39. My question is, what is the actual cost door to door including purchase, shipping, tax etc.?

Also, the sub will be used in a room which is approx. 20ft x 15ft with 10ft ceilings and a suspended wooden floor (in other words an old Victorian property). I am assuming that this sub will suffice or do I need to go for the PCi+ ?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The PCi should be about £510 but it may be a little extra if you live in the wilds and well away from any major airport.

I was working on the assumption that the shipping charge would be $150 but if you email Erik at SVS with your address he will obtain an exact shipping quote for you.

The PCi will be sufficient for most people unless you play your films loud enough to rattle your teeth whereupon the extra power of the PC Plus will come in handy.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,125
    I would think that in your size room (3000 cu ft) the PCi may struggle and that you may need to go for the plus model.Having said that it depends on how low and loud you wish to go.

You should e-mail svs they will advise which sub is right for your circumstances, they are honest and will not try to oversell you onto the next model up unless it's necessary.

On cost, you need to take cost of sub in dollars add around $150 for shipping then do dollar/pound conversion.Then add 4.5% (I think) import duty + vat on the total and I think Bax (shipping agent) charge maybe £20 for handling import docs for you.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You could also take a look at the PC-Ultra if the budget allows....very pleased with one here.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If the sub is struggling to fill the room I think it would be better to go for more piston area (ie. bigger or multiple drivers).

Having said that, the 20-39 is a force to be reckoned with by all accounts. :)

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I have a PCi model and have been very pleased with it. It was originally used in my flat in which the lounge are was 17' x 11', but, the kitchen was virtually open in that room adding another 10' x 8'.

Hope that gives a bit of guidance.

7. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will contact SVS later to confirm delivery charge to North Wales.

I do tend to push my amp a bit hard and have the volume fairly loud. Currently using a Pioneer VSA EO8 (which I am also seeking to upgrade), running B&W 603s3, LCR60s3 and mission 77DS rears, pioneer 757 dvd and Infocus 5700 PJ.

Would love to go for the PCi plus, but not sure whether the funds will allow, due to the need to upgrade the amp :( , but based on the responses here it could be worthwhile.

I will talk nicely to the missus, unless of course anyone has one they would like to sell, a PCi plus that is, not a missus!

Cheers.......Mark.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I would hate to sway your decision one way or the other but my PCi is used in a 30 foot room, open to the lounge of similar size below via an open stairwell.

If 110 dB is enough for you then the PCi is good enough. If you want more then go for the Plus.

I doubt there are many secondhand examples around but that would be the way to go if you want more oomph for less money.

Nimby

9. janFIN

janFIN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can the PCi really handle 110dB? I'm underestimating my PC-Ultra in that case.
    I believe there is quite a bit of distortion in the subsonics at 110dB with an PCi in any room.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    "It has excellent SPL capability. When held to a maximum of 10% distortion the unit cranks out a robust 91 dB at 20 Hz and averages 109.5 dB in the 25-62 Hz region and 106.4 from 20 to 62 Hz. Maximum SPL is 114.9 dB at 32 Hz. These levels were attainable without ever once lighting the clip indicators on the 300-wpc Fidek amplifier. I would guess that the powered models have similar output These numbers were taken in-room at 2 meters @ 7500 ft3. For a 2000 ft3 room add 2.5 dB to the 25-62 Hz range and 3.6 dB to the 20 to 62 Hz numbers. Add 6 dB for a second subwoofer placed adjacent to the first or 3.5 dB for a second one placed in a different corner.

Using program material the SV20 whacked out 118 dB on Bass Ecstasy's "Bass Erotica" and 112 dB with Telarc's "Jurassic Lunch" and the cannon shots from the "1812" (again, in-room at 2 meters). The lower frequency content on the latter two allowed the unit to bottom its driver more quickly. A 16 or 20 Hz high pass filter would help immensely here as the driver has no restoring force below the 20 Hz tuning frequency."

From an independant review listed on the SVS website of an early 20-39 passive model presumably. (pre-PCi)

Nimby

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews.htm