1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS 20-39 PC Plus - arrived!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bone Daddy, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right collected the beast from the airport this morning,rear seats down in the `mondy` and the box just about fitted :eek: might just have to take THX1138`s offer of board up,this thing is massive,so this afternoon has been taken up with calabrating and generaly having some fun with diferent discs.
    Will post a full fact finding post tommorow,but now have to go and collect Mrs B.Daddy :kisses: = :( and see if my frantic attempt at `disguising` the beast has worked.
    But lastly first impressions are :eek: it is everything you have read,and more!!!

2. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I am intersted in what you think, a lot of the users at hometheaterforum have SVSubwoofers as they are the offical forum sub there.

3. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had mine installed and up and running too:)
    I just have to ask you about the reaction from Mrs B.Daddy. Mrs Noman hasn´t talked to me for the whole day. Is that a bad sign?

I know a lot of people would like to now how this new model is performing.

I will just make a short comment of my first impression. This is my 4th subwoofer, and I have also listened to several other subs both at home and in demo-rooms. This is the first subwoofer that comes near what I always has been expecting from a Sub, no other sub has been close. (Well, the Revel B-15 is a fantastic Sub but you get 4 PC-Plus for the same amount of money)

At sound levels where all other subs I´ve tried throw in the towel, this one continue to deliver clean bass, tons of energy.

And at low and medium listening levels it is smooth and integrates very well.

But the reason to get this Sub was to be able to listen to Dvd:s and music at levels that are not healthy, and for this it´s perfect.

I think most has been said on the american forums, I just have to confirm that most reviews I´ve read is not exaggerating the performance of this sub.

Quoting Bone Daddy "It is everything you have read,and more!!!"

4. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cmon Bone Daddy, tell me I was right, it's scary isn't it!!

I got around Mrs Potato by describing the size as a dustbin, after several weeks of setting the scene, she was pleasantly surprised at it's size when unboxed!!

I'm in the same process now explaining that a BG808s is only twice the size as my Seleco :clown:

Steve

5. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Congrats on your purchases. :)

It always surprises me that not many people on this forum go the SVS route.

It's strange people are prepared to buy a Velodyne HGS15 or HGS18 (or other) blind & solely on a recommendation in a power buy, but they're not willing to go for an SVS, even if it saves them £££s and they get as much as/more performance.

There's plenty of data proving the abilities of SVS subs and very high recommendations by people well respected in the industry.

Another point worth mentioning is that the trend by the enthusiast in the US is away from servo controlled subs and towards subs without limiters may it be SVS, Adire Audio, HSU or a DIY effort.

I've recommended SVS (and DIYing) for just about as long as I've been a member on this board.
    Hopefully more people will shed their fears and take the plunge.

Cheers
    Boris

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just spent the morning playing with my Behringer Feedback Destroyer to get rid of a couple of nasty room issues. What a result, pretty much flat now 16-80hz :D

I'm well impressed with my SVS 22-31 and including BFD less than £550.

Steve

7. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right kids,where to begin ? after hauling the beast from it`s box/coffin (really well designed internals by the way,your sub WILL arrive intact!!) and connecting it all up,it was time to calibrate with the old `essentials` & spl meter - came to the sub run through - :eek: it literaly shook and pressurised the whole room including me,and it was only a quarter up on the volume knob on the sub,after a while of tinkering we were up and running and slipped in a few discs - stunning beyond belief.
    Went through all the demos we know/
    Haunting Dts - `coming mother` scene
    Matrix - chopper/lobby scenes
    Blade - various
    Toy story 2 - opening 5 mins - outrageous!!
    U-571 - depth charges - never been this pummeled
    Saving Private Ryan - 1st 20mins
    Iron Giant - various scenes throughout
    etc...
    you get the picture,and have read much about these scenes,so I went hunting for some others -
    Jurrasic Park 3 Dts- chp 5 -20mins in to the film - the Kirbys landing through to the battle betwen the T-Rex & Spinosauras - low end ahoy!! this is up there with the `Haunting`the depth of bass was astounding and clean too,no distortion - just nice low bass,and when the spinosaurus twists the t-rex neck the crunch was :eek:
    Atlantis Dts - great animation flick with tons of low end - the opening scene of atlantis destruction, then to 20mins in(spotting a trend here?) when the metal lobster attacks the sub - just amazed at the quality
    Shaolin Socer region 3 Dts - any scene pretty much - great film with astonishing soundtrack esp` the fight scene at 48mins and the end match starting from 1.18mins - this was just breath taking as `Sing` shoots the ball torwards the super goalie the pressure building up in the sub was (insert your own superlitive) and when the goalie catches the ball and unleashes sound waves throughout the room - everything shook :D
    I could go on and on,but to sum it up if you have been thinking of entertaing one of these in your home - DO IT!! I sat on the fence for a while reading all the reviews on the net extolling the virtues of SVS and wish I had taken the plunge earlier but am glad I waited for the 39Plus as the 525 watt amp has so much power you would have to be a brave man/or know someone in the glass trade to atttempt to reach it`s limits.
    Nice and easy to intergate into your system,excellent service from SVS (thanks Ron/Tom.etc) with you in a matter of 3 days from the States,value for money, it takes some beating to find anything to touch it,I have heard a lot of subs (servo 15`s/Rels -up to the top of the range/Mirage/Velodyne/etc.etc)and while some come close none have the level of deep/clean/bass that this thing delivers,a case in hand is this months install - Big Micks - I hear this system nearly every week,the pressure and quality is amazing,the Genelecs go low and coupled with the Stentor - trust me it can deliver - but this bad boy delivers over those - cleaner and deeper!! and it`s not run in yet.
    This is one happy SVS owner,now Nowman you pretty much hit the nail on the head when you said your wife did not talk to you for a day,pretty much the same story but she did speak to me - lower in tone - I admit - and I think her last words this morning where "see you later and by the way get that sub out of there" - now with a bit of velcro,nice matching fabric and some adept hiding I should still be alive tonight :rolleyes:

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have missed the start to this. Can you remind me how much this beast costs??

Thanks

DaveP

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I keep looking longingly at the web site and was once just about to press the "buy" button when I read something about the size which put me off.

I have read the dimensions but without mocking something up out of a cardboard box I find it difficult to visualize.

How much bigger is it than a Storm and does the fact that it's cylindrical make it easier or harder to live with or doesn't it make any difference.

10. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    www.svsubwoofers.com

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems very good value, I bet the shipping charges double it though!

Just found the surcharge on their site - $150

Thanks

DaveP

12. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, the baby PCi is the 25-31, in SVS speak the first number is the tuning point, the second is the height, you can get the 25-31 tuned to 22hz which gives you solid extension down to mid-high teens hz. As far as size, work on dustbin size for the baby, 1.5 dustbins for the mid and wheely bin for the large:eek:

And they recommend buying them in pairs:D

They are very good value.

Steve

13. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you drop Ron @ SVS a mail, the shipping is normallyt quite a bit cheaper than on-line quote, I'm fairly sure mine was under $100.

Steve

14. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No Way.:eek: :D I can't see me ever getting one of these without a divorce.:D

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean to go on the defence here as I know Tom's SVS subs are excellent value for money and great performers. In fact, I know a man who loves them so much (Tom will know, Frank J Manrique) who has 8 in his HT room.

I do however think the above statement is a little rash to say the least.

Quote from John E Johnson Jr, Secrets of Hometheater
    As you all know, Velodyne Acoustics is world renown for their subwoofers. The HGS-18 (18" driver, 1,250 watt amplifier, servo-feedback control) is one of a handful of products by which all others are compared.

I can give you a hundred quotes like the above from as many industry folks including Tom from SVS himself as to the merits of the HGS-15/18.

As for people buying blindly solely on my recommendation, I don't think so.

By the way, HGS limiters can be switched off!!!! Its up to the user.

16. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    IanJ - the size issue is probably the main issue here,as Couch P says - visualise a big ol` dustbin, in reality it is not that big,the footprint is only 16" so placement is fairly easy- I think the main obstacle is the color black - a big black cylinder does not fit into the house decorating scheme that our ladies love,this is not to much of an issue as the SVS is basically fitted with a huge `sock` type affair that slips over the top - this is easily fixed with a bunch of :kisses: friendly material and some velcro tape,I shall be taking this route very soon!!
    In fact most huge subs don`t really fit in with the ladies decorating schemes :rolleyes:

17. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Shipping to my local airport was only $110 - amazing and the local BAX people at Birmingham airport were a joy to deal with,friendly/phoned as soon as cleared customs/etc..

18. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Tom's SVS subs are excellent value for money and great performers"

That means you come close to a HGS 18 without spending a fortune. That must hurt for some.....;)

19. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice dig Anders, I don't think I'll rise to your bait this time.
    Also, you said close not me ;)

20. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    More good advice from Boris. Despite the obvious merits of Servo15s and Velodynes there are other options out there, SVS / DIY. Many will be more suitable than either Servo15s or Velodyne to some folk. I have always been very tempted myself but I need a new sub like a hole in the head at the moment.

21. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before deciding on the HGS18 from Uncle Eric's power buy I looked up every single bit of info on the Internet about it. Never have I seen a product with such praise before, every article talked about the unbelievable power, clean distortion free bass and a tightness that is awesome for music as well. Couple that with HGS owners on this forum also saying the same things and you realise that you are talking about a very special piece of equipment.

This forum would not be the same without Uncle Eric and I've only been a member since August so some of the comments in this thread are a bit OTT IMO.

pardon the abbreviations :)

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does it come with a big black boot that goes over the sock :D :D :D :p

23. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There's some great analysis of the SVS CS Ultra subs here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/svs-cs-ultra-subwoofers-5-2002-part-2.html

The distortion (THD) figures are very impressive at 5% or less but it's worth noting that the Velodyne HGS15 and HGS18 offer distortion of 0.5% or less.

It's fair to say that the SVS subs are excellent subwoofers and great value for money but asking Velodyne HGS owners why they didn't go for an SVS is a bit like asking a BMW M5 owner why he or she didn't buy a Subaru Impreza WRX.

Just my opinion of course - I'm sure Nic Rhodes may have something to say about distortion (he usually does - but for now let all of us SVS, Servo 15 and HGS owners be content that we all own some of the best subwoofers known to man.

Matt.

24. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amen :devil:

Steve

25. Sven_DP

Sven_DP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was also considering to import an SVS some months ago, but when I added to the price the transportation, 21% VAT and the import duties (thank you EC) the price was just getting to high. How much did you people pay for VAT and duties?

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I highlighted the above quote as it is worth highlighting.

27. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And now we grab each others hands and sing "We shall overcome" :kisses:

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think Matt F and Ian J have hit the nail on the head. There are some great products out there, it does not have to be just one choice.

29. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,071
    Matt you forgot CHT15 Owners.;)

30. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Hi

I wasn't implying the HGSs are a poor choice, far from it.
    The point I was making was why don't more people go the SVS route when it gives such high performance for the cash.
    I hope people don't think they can't that good because they're cheap or 'budget'.

There was a post by TV the other day on the AVS forum saying if the Ultra package was sold at a main dealers (with the usual mark up) it would be in the $5-6000 dollar range.

Cheers
    Boris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.