SVS 20-39 overkill?

Digger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

How typical is this post?!

Having heard all the positive noises coming from the SVS Owners Club here, i am thinking of buying either a 25-31 Plus or a 20-39 Plus to replace (depending on the results) a REL Q201 and a Storm III.

Trouble is my room at the moment is only 3.5m by 4m in size and i would prefer the 20-39 Plus, but common sense dictates the smaller model. Is this right or might i get away with the larger version; anyone have experience of running a svs in a smaller room?

Admittedly i will be moving house much later this year but have no room dimensions yet so could risk it

Originally posted by Digger
anyone have experience of running a svs in a smaller room?

Jase has both a 20-39 PC Plus and a 25-31 PC Plus in his caravan. Is that small enough for you :D

who is this mysterious Jase, i wonder?

Did he buy one then for various reasons bought the other. His views might be interesting as well as the size of his caravan, hope he beefed up the suspension :D

Hi All,
Trouble is my room at the moment is only 3.5m by 4m in size and i would prefer the 20-39 Plus, but common sense dictates the smaller model. Is this right or might i get away with the larger version; anyone have experience of running a svs in a smaller room?

I run two Servo 15s in a room around that size, was about to buy an SVS PB-2 Plus...so no it's not overkill:D

Remember, headroom is your friend:)

On the SVS website the 25-31 is described as louder than the 20-39 in the upper bass frequencies. The 20-39 has greater depth but (slightly) reduced output at the sort of frequencies which will probably make your room boom.
If you find it does boom then move the sub away from the recommended corner position & out against a wall. If it still booms then put it in the middle of the room and pray! :D

You can always make it less "hot" by a couple of dBs when you are matching.

Final resort? There's always the parametric equaliser.

You are using a Storm and it doesn't boom in your room? Surely that should indicate something about your likely results with an SVS. It plays the same frequencies... just louder. :smashin:

Nimby

Hi Digger
I set up my friends 2039 pc+ yesterday in his cinema room above his garage which is smaller than your room and it sounds just great.
Cheers Gonzo.

3.5 by 4m is not that small a room - if I were you i'd max out and get the higher SVS model.

Gonzo - is your mate happy wth the M&K's 850's and column surrounds ? How is the SVS sounding with them ?

Sorry, a little off topic but. How much did you guys pay in VAT/import duty for the 20-39's?
I am starting to go in the direction of SVS now and wondered what the total will end up if I buy one. Just had a quick look on their website and it seems you can pick up one for $750 delivered, which is £407 on ex.com at the mo.

Thanks Ricky

Thanks for the replies guys.

i very rarely if ever get my RELs to bottom out so possibly i don't get that near reference levels, but that may change.
How have current 20-39 & 25-31 pc plus owners got on with dialling them in for music listening, i.e. tightness of bass etc.
Still be interested to hear from people, ex REL owners et al.

Jase, whats the theory with the 2 subs?
Gonzo, did you have time to listen to your friend's system with music and how was it?

cheers guys
Dave

Dave,

I currently own a Rel Q200e and whilst I am pleased with its performance it is just not in the same league when compared to the SVS. I have heard two systems running similar SVS subs (20-39 IIRC) now and both of them (one with M&K and one with Polk) have made me extremely jealous for the kind of frequencies they go down to, the tightness of the bass with music and the 'slam' with movies.

If i didn't live in a flat I'd be after one.

How have current 20-39 & 25-31 pc plus owners got on with dialling them in for music listening, i.e. tightness of bass etc.
Still be interested to hear from people, ex REL owners et al.

A well designed and well built sub will be as good with music as it is with movies and the SVS subs certainly come into that category. My SVS is as musical as my previous Storm was.

Hi Digger
My mates svs is used for home cinema only but have had mine since last august and can only agree with ian, Its the best single piece of equipment ive brought since ive been into av stuff for the price i doubt you could find anything better.If i had the room i would have ordered a svs pb-ultra 2 by now still might if i can persuade the misses.It is excellent with music to.
Cheers Gonzo.:)
Ps Rags sean system rocks, he is very pleased now everything is set up the m&ks sound great just like they do in my room.:D

Originally posted by gonzo

Ps Rags sean system rocks, he is very pleased now everything is set up the m&ks sound great just like they do in my room.:D

Good to hear mate :) .

Just giving this a little nudge. . .

I feel SVS will be getting an entry on my bank statement sometime this week!

Anyone seen Jase around?

cheers

Dave

Jase doesn't visit much these days, I will have a chat and ask him to reply to you.

I know what the reply is likely to be :smashin:

Hi

Whatever one you choose, either the 25-31 PC+ or 20-39PC+, you'll have enough power to fill your room. Of course, if you want more, then buy two.;) Dual subs will even out the frequency response and also give you more than enough headroom to cope with very loud listening levels.

I have the 20-39 PC+ left at it's stock tune and have the 25-31PC+ tuned to 20hz with one port blocked. The only reason I didn't have dual 20-39's is that one would have blocked the front right speaker because of it's height (no other place for it). With hindsight, dual 25-31's would have easily been more than sufficient.

The subs, once setup and dialled in to be in-phase with each other, produce clean, tight bass and can cope with either movies or music with equal dexterity.:smashin: With the current exchange rate, I'd say go for it as they are a bit of a bargain. Hopefully you'll be pleased with what you hear.:)

Thanks for your input Jase - much appreciated
Thanks to SteveGreen as well

Jase or anyone , do you find that tuning the 25-31 down to 20 Hz makes the subs sound identical when it comes to the real deep stuff as I still have not decided between the two; if it does then i will probably get the smaller model methinks.

cheers
Dave

do you find that tuning the 25-31 down to 20 Hz makes the subs sound identical when it comes to the real deep stuff

The taller sub will probably have more volume around the 20Hz mark but most people will probably not notice. When discussing subs with SVS they do tend to say that the smaller sub will suffice but seeing as the cost difference is so small, most of us end up buying the taller one anyway.

Jase or anyone , do you find that tuning the 25-31 down to 20 Hz makes the subs sound identical when it comes to the real deep stuff as I still have not decided between the two; if it does then i will probably get the smaller model methinks.

I couldn't really tell any difference between the two to be honest. Don't forget, if you want performance to go even lower you can block two ports (and select the relevant subsonic filter) on the 25-31 and have it drop to 16hz, although you'll trade off some output at the higher frequencies.

Sorry to butt into the thread:

i am in the same boat as it would appear quite a few of you. i have the amplification i want,

Rotel 1066
rotel 1080 coming soon,
2x rotel 981's

i'm using a MJ pro 50, almost thought about buying the B&W 675 in the classifieds.

my room is 10 x 14 ft and i have a unused channel of RB981 should i get a passive sub or an active sub. the unused channel is on the amp i use as a centre?. i WILL buy an SVS next month but which one.

the forums thoughts are very much appreciated.

Jon

The PC Plus subs have 525 watt amps which I don't think your Rotel could compete with.

The other thing that you may want to bear in mind is if you wish to sell it for any reason a "normal" active sub will be much easier to sell than a passive one as the market for that beastie is more limited

Originally posted by JonLeach
Big one or little one then :)

SVS use very crafty pricing with the three sizes only being $50 or £30 apart so there is little point going for the smallest on cost grounds.

I think that most of us have gone for the 20-39 as being the best compromise between size and performance

I think i would honestly prefer the smaller version (they are big after all) so a couple of days ago i fired off several questions to SVS, one of which is below, including TomV's reply

Question
If you or I were to blind test a stock 20-39 pc plus and a 25-31 pc plus with a port blocked (20Hz) would anyone be able to tell the difference when playing music and movies, including high volume levels?

probably not…at least not most of the time. Only on sustained loud bass <25hz will the 20-39PC+ have the potential for an audible advantage. And VERY few soundtracks can boost to have that type of signal recorded on them.

cheers
Dave

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom