SVS 20-39 changing the colour to keep wife happy!!

sea surfer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought i would post this picture to any one trying to persuade their partner to accept a SVS 20-39 into the family home.

After ordering my sub without telling my wife:blush: she nearly had a fit when she seen the size and colour of it:D i told her i could change the colour of it to suit any room decor she had in mind!! so it would blend in with any decor she had in mind she decided to go with cream and brown:mad: so i decided to go to the nearest fabric shop and get some fabric cost £14.00,

The sub cover took 1 hour for the mother in law to make and 4 weeks before hand of sleepless nights on the couch:boring: looking at home improvement mag,s, in the end i think ifinally got it to blend in like a piece of furniture:smashin:, just have to think what to do with the base plate dont want to paint it, any idea's would be welcome.

:thumbsup:

Looking good. Never seen that before, maybe you'll start a trend!:D

Ps. have you managed to shake that cat thing off yet?

I'm surprised SVS do not make optional coloured covers.

Maybe they will if they see this.
Or maybe someone else will jump on it........
i can just see it now on e-bay..................get your SVS jumpers here £30 a go, any colour you like.

Who will be first with a tartan one........:laugh:

Brave try! :D

But the 20-39 is only a tiddler!

I should put a pink tu-tu frill round the base plate. ;)

I can understand why SVS use the black cloth as it hides a multitude of sins and dark objects usually look smaller than in other lighter colours.

At least you didn't try to paint the moleskin fur of the original. I suppose the ideal would be something that exactly matches the wall colour and texture. A 16-46 stealth sub? Hmm?

RED LEATHER!! :devil:

Neoprene? :p

Nimby ;)

sea surfer

Have you sprayed the top plate as well ??

Any chance of a higher res image - mail me if poss.

Ta.........

I do have to count myself very lucky - my woman wouldn't expect me to do anything like that...Phew...no offence tho, it does look ok!

Painted the top plate with satinwood cream, tried spray paint first but wasn't happy with the result, just used a gloss roller to put the paint on for a smooth finishgave it two coats.

The fabric is slightly thiner than speaker cloth but look's the same and was made like a sock just to pull over the sub,all i had to do was unscrew the top plate and place the cover under the grill and doublle sided velcro tape is used at the bottom to hold it neatly in place, didnt fancy trying to remove the black sub cloth from the sub anyway just incase i get my own little cinema room one day and decide to paint the wall's black:devil:

This is a picture of the back.

I wonder if I could something similar to a servo 15......probably would end up looking like a wendy house :smashin:

sea surfer, thanks for sharing this handy trick! (I already thought about a paint job, but this is more versatile)

I thought the tartan cloth a particularly good idea. If it can hide a Scotsman in the highlands it can probably hide a cylinder in the badlands. ;)

Nimby

Where did you get that white sock for the sub from Sea Surfer? Or does anyone else know?

This could well help with WAF when the PC Ultra arrives, the wife hasn't seen how big this baby is yet!!! :eek:

Kazman said:
Where did you get that white sock for the sub from Sea Surfer? Or does anyone else know?

This could well help with WAF when the PC Ultra arrives, the wife hasn't seen how big this baby is yet!!! :eek:

Get a grip man! :D

No use losing your nerve now! :cool:

It's too late! :blush:

Nimby ;)

I know, i will have the camera ready to take a picture of her face when it comes out of the box :D

I will also need the camera for any evidence of GBH the other half decides to enflict on my sizeable frame :eek:

Camouflage is only a good idea as a last resort IMHO. It's definitely Plan B. :D

Only offered as a fallback position if it should come down to the packed bags at the front door, the taxi on the way and you nursing a black eye. :devil:

I still think the shock comes from the alien quality of a subwoofer in the room. Not the large, black, furry tube itself. :cool:

You see all sort of stuff for home furnishing about the same size. (Well nearly) But usually they have some trivial reason for existence. Like plaster mock pillars for holding up a lamp. Or glass fronted cabinets for holding porcelain objects. :boring:

Covering with a simple hemmed rectangle of material to match the wallaper and curtains is the easy way out. No great skill at dressmaking required. Fortunately the damn thing doesn't have a waist or a chest to speak of. :eek:

Velcro will easily hold it in place. Except for when your mates come round. (Woops! Nearly forgot them, didn't you?) Just remember to leave two half cut-outs at the back overlap for access to the amp. The truly fastidious may like a drop down flap (like a pair of long-johns) to hide the Bash plate amp. You can lift the flap when you listen at reference. To allow a little air to circulate round it's bum. :laugh:

Just remember to use a deep voice if you get visitors and feel inclined to demo the specially imported flowery "dress". Undressing it in public is probably even more 'iffy'! Unless you're into that sort of thing! ;)

Nimby

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom