SVS 12.3 driver and O Audio Plate amp build.

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by daffidhippie, Feb 27, 2014.

1. daffidhippie

daffidhippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi All,

Looking for a little advice. I have the above which i am about to embark on building a new or modifying a current enclosure for my new home sub, the wife said no to a cylinder sub/Monolith (Boo!).

I currently have 2 subwoofer enclosures based on the Thor subwoofer design for a Peerless 12" driver (I currently have a SVS plate amp and Genesis 12" Audiophile sub (rebadges Peerless XXLS for car audio) in one). Each enclosure measuring 14.25" x 14.25" x 22.25" 1" thick MDF. The plate amp is mounted in the box.

I don't think i'm going to be able to go ported as the WAF requires as small and compact as i can do, but I also want to get the best from the driver in terms of low hz, the plate amp i've got should help immensly as it has eq functions on it.

I looked at the SVS SB2000 as an example of a sealed 12" SVS sub running off 500w, which is a match for my plate amp. It is 14.2" x 14.2" x 14.2", so smaller than both the enclosures i have, so i could adapt my unused enclosure to a smaller size, creating approx a 1.65 cu ft sealed enclosure. My current enclosure without being altered is approx 1.75 cu ft.

SO, where i'm going with this is, without having any TS parameters to model the driver accurately, which do i go for? I have read around on the web and someone on AVS suggested the 12.2 driver may be (or closely related to) the TS Sounds DB500, which i do have the TS Params for, would that do for modelling with Winisd?
    Is there a better SVS sealed to take the measurements from?

regards

DJ

2. daffidhippie

daffidhippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  3. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Without T/S parameters you are basically flying blind with regards to modelling - not ideal!

However, a c. 1.5cu ft enclosure with a 500wRMS amp is not going to really stretch the limits of an SVS 12.3 driver, from what I can tell. They live in much larger (and also ported) enclosures in SVS subs, with about the same or more power, and they don't bottom out in them, so a much smaller enclosure will provide a stiffer 'suspension' for the driver to work against and therefore require more power to reach XMax, which I don't think 500w will come anywhere near doing!

The main issue would probably be a native (un-EQ'd) response that had a peak in output at something 50Hz or maybe even higher, so without electronic EQ on the plate amp or in the signal chain, it may sound 'boomy' in room.

I think...

4. daffidhippie

daffidhippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I know ported and large will be the ideal, and trust me if i had the chance that's where i'd be. Given i can't even look at a cylinder sub (even with promises to veneer the enclosure to match our other dark wood)

One of the other restrictions i'm working to is that whatever build i do, I won't be putting the plate amp in the box, it'll be mounted in its own enclosure near the rest of my kit and speaker wire run under carpet. Where i want the sub doesn't have any power near and i'm not chopping the walls out to put power near by. I also only have a 14" x 14" footprint to play with as it's going in the front corner behind the lounge door (when open).

There is an eq fuction on the plate amp, so i'm hopeful i can do some adaptive tweaking, the link to it is above, not sure how useful it will be in practicality yet as i've never spent much time fine tuning before, I intend to however!

5. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    My girlfriend is pretty fussy. IMHO she's got good taste and some good ideas about interior design. Out of all the subs she has seen, looks wise she says that my SVS cylinder is definitely the most aesthetically pleasing.

I agree with her... sat in the corner it blends in very well... it doesn't look like a speaker, or some weird big black square box... it's it's almost like a bit of a feature :)

SVS 20-29
    FiQ 18
    USC15
    SVS SB-12 NSD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. daffidhippie

daffidhippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Wow, I agree with you, and her!

I did joke with my wife that maybe i could do a cylinder sub from a big log of oak ( my friend has just had a suitable size oak come down in his woods) since she is a fan of natural wood, she couldn't tell if i was being serious or not so just ignored me! Personally, i think it's be fun and unique to make and own, but a thorough ball ache to achieve!

7. daffidhippie

daffidhippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Like your set up btw

8. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I guess her opinion is based on the specific cylinder/s she's seen in whatever setting and placement it was...

Now a real oak log sub definitely WOULD be an interesting feature! Probably provide a very solid enclosure also... That really would be something if executed right :)

9. daffidhippie

daffidhippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    We are seriously discussing one as a longer term project. So far I have a possible 3 ft log, another friend may be able to get to cut clean in 2 with minimal wastage for hollowing, wouldn't fancy trying to hollow nearly 3ft out on a wood lathe :)

10. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    A sub from a tree-trunk would be awesome, a.though I'm not sure it would take the internal pressure and may leak once it dries and possibly splits?? Perhaps if you lined it?

Would be ace to do, though :)

11. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Check out this thread for a non-standard box shape - in theory you could do some weird twisty tower if you kept the internal cutouts fairly consistent but varied the outside wall shape!

Custom Subwoofer build | AVForums

:)

12. daffidhippie

daffidhippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

If i were to use green oak, as long as i remove 80% of the heart wood core the outer wouldn't split (Henry Moore carved in green oak, knocking all the holes in his figures helped achieve keeping it in one piece). The issue would be with the top where the trunk would be whole to create a sealed end.

You could, if you were looking longer term (considering the seasoning time of a 14" diameter piece of english oak) allow it to season, cut a 1-2" lid off either end which then wouldn't be prone to split, hollow to leave 1" wall, reassemble using the strongest glue possible, biscuit joint and clamp it to dry, put the lid back on, mount the driver and use the other lid as the foot!

An alternative that i thought of would be to shape the top as a dome using a lathe and corresponding on the inside, then to seal that end and try to protect against possible splits pour in resin to seal say the upper 1/3rd, i use resin all the time for my car sub builds to help ensure it's sealed.

Lastly, ignore the wife and just build/buy a SVS cylinder and paint it cream to match the walls :suicide:

The more i talk about it, the more i'm keen to do one though! :thumbsup:

13. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    I think it would be amazing - it would look like a piece of decorative wood until the bass came in :D