SVS 1000 vs HT 1205 vs monoprice

Gregsie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been treated to some great info since recently joining the forums and have been lead to a great deal for a 5.0 system for 80/20 HT/music use.

I am looking to add a sub (probably 1 to start and see if I can convince partner to go for a second down the line.

Room specs are 8m x 3m x 2.5m.

Basically I have a £400-650 budget for a sub and am looking for a sub that’s great for tv and movie watching while also being good for music.

I was informed on my other threat regarding thr 5.0 speakers that an SVS sb1000 pro could be a great fit and I can see why the app would be useful on top of just being a good sub but I also then saw the the pb1000 is a lot cheaper and digs deeper albeit a slightly larger footprint, then there is the REL ht1205 which people seem to compare to the SB2000 but claim it doesn’t dig quite as deep and lastly there is the monoprice 10” THX sub

My current view is that while the monoprice would probably be the price to performance winner it is also a chunker and not sure WAF would go my way. I could push it past the post if it was the V1 for Its circa £400 price with the discount they seem to give but the V2 would be £580 or there a outs which puts it in the same price class as the REL and sb1000 pro while being much much larger. Not sure this one will fly with partner.

REL and sb1000 pro then to me are in a similar price class, Svs gets the app, REL doesn’t and SVS should dip lower but people who have heard REL seem to like it a lot.

Lastly is the older sb1000 or pb1000 non pro version which are considerably cheaper than the aforementioned subs above.

I guess my question is, do people have an opinion on these subs or info that may help me narrow down the list as at the moment I seem to be getting more confused and going round in circles as to what to buy.

I like articulate bass but don’t want to feel like the sub can’t hit the frequencies the movie or tv wants it to hit.

Any advice on these subs or any other sub in the £400-650 range would be much appreciated.

I think the HT/1205 could be little bit closer to SB2000 Pro in some ways as it has larger cab and more power than SB1000 Pro. In one real world comparison (youtube) it also had more slam over SB2000 Pro when side by side and sounded bit faster i think. @benzi just tested two of those and i think in he`s room it got about 20hz in front corner and then started to drop steeply which is typical for RELs.

550£ is quite good price considering it was step up from 1300£ costing REL T9x with movies, although HT/1205 go new 599£ so for this ex-display i would pay 500£ max which should be possible after negotiation. However i believe new models are coming at some point so how long these are available then if one were to add 2nd sub.

You get the SB1000 Pro for 579£ or so and it comes with the phone app control and is new model with longer warranty so quite a no brainer in that sense too. The old SB1000 is not worth it as the price difference is so small.

Monolith 10 THX (v1) is sold out and won´t come back. You missed that one sadly. However the V2 is not overly expensive if the -15% discount applies to it. The question is will wife accept two of those in the room long term.

I think the HT/1205 could be little bit closer to SB2000 Pro in some ways as it has larger cab and more power than SB1000 Pro. In one real world comparison (youtube) it also had more slam over SB2000 Pro when side by side and sounded bit faster i think. @benzi just tested two of those and i think in he`s room it got about 20hz in front corner and then started to drop steeply which is typical for RELs.

550£ is quite good price considering it was step up from 1300£ costing REL T9x with movies, although HT/1205 go new 599£ so for this ex-display i would pay 500£ max which should be possible after negotiation. However i believe new models are coming at some point so how long these are available then if one were to add 2nd sub.

You get the SB1000 Pro for 579£ or so and it comes with the phone app control and is new model with longer warranty so quite a no brainer in that sense too. The old SB1000 is not worth it as the price difference is so small.

Monolith 10 THX (v1) is sold out and won´t come back. You missed that one sadly. However the V2 is not overly expensive if the -15% discount applies to it. The question is will wife accept two of those in the room long term.
Hi mate, where do you see the sb1000 pro for £579 just out of interest.

That's a big room, I'd be aiming at more than 1000 line especially SB. SB1000 will be ok for music system, if you just want a supplment speakers in stereo, although will get a bit lost in that sized room , but it won't be sufficient for home cinema

FYI I have sub similar to SB4000 which is several tiers above the ones you're looking at, and I was getting close to it's limits and my room is probably around the same volume as yours.

I'd be aiming at Monolith 12" or PB2000, at least, if you're going single.

You've missed the sale it's gone back up unfortuantly.

I'd go for something like that, or similar PB2000, PC 2000, Monolith Plus etc. One thing you don't want is get under specced sub and be disappointed. A sealed sub will be ok but I'd be aiming at SB3000 or similar.

It would take six SB1000 to equal the 20hz performance of a single 12" Monoprice.

You've missed the sale it's gone back up unfortuantly.

I'd go for something like that, or similar PB2000, PC 2000, Monolith Plus etc. One thing you don't want is get under specced sub and be disappointed. A sealed sub will be ok but I'd be aiming at SB3000 or similar.

It would take six SB1000 to equal the 20hz performance of a single 12" Monoprice.
Thanks for the advice, I think my issue is that I really would need the sub to be no more really than 400mm deep, height ideally 500 or less and width is not a massive issue but again no more than 500 wide or so, the monolith 12” is 600 deep which will stick out 20cm into the room past the tv stands etc and I will not get away with it, I could chuck it against a side wall but then worry about it being too much bass

There's this

I wouldn't get anything less than that (sealed box) in your room size for home cinema.

Gave them a call, wouldn’t budge on the £550 so think that rules them out. Emailed monoprice to see if a discount is possible so will see what they come back with.

Have a look at mr wolf's thread use specific sub, room volume,.what master volume allow you.

I get +7db master volume , and that's with just one sub (I have two) so roughly +10db on master volume lol

If size and WAF are prerequisites and the Monoprice Monoliths are too imposing then you could look at the XTZ SUB 12.17 EDGE.
A ported but fairly compact sub with dimensions: 395 x 510 x 400 mm (W x H x D)
It's towards the top end of your budget at ~£628 Incl. Import duties and shipping. I've also seen, and bought, it a fair bit cheaper than this on a BF deal.
For your sized room I'd still recommend running duals eventually.

Hi mate, where do you see the sb1000 pro for £579 just out of interest.

I think few AVForums advertisers will give you -10% off from all SVS models. Cinehome UK (Tom) will surely if you say you are AVF member.

That is however black oak. The piano gloss black/white costs 658£.

Shame the Arendal 1961 1S and SB2000 Pro are out of your budget (800-900£).

The cylinder model PC2000 goes quite cheap at 699£, but i guess it`s too tall then.
86.4 cm x 42.2 cm (H x diameter)

If size and WAF are prerequisites and the Monoprice Monoliths are too imposing then you could look at the XTZ SUB 12.17 EDGE.
A ported but fairly compact sub with dimensions: 395 x 510 x 400 mm (W x H x D)
It's towards the top end of your budget at ~£628 Incl. Import duties and shipping. I've also seen, and bought, it a fair bit cheaper than this on a BF deal.
For your sized room I'd still recommend running duals eventually.
Does the price shown in the cart for the sub and delivery include import taxes because if it does it is currently working out at €540/£469 a sub if I got 2 which seems a good deal or £512 for one

Last edited:
No, unfortunately not, you'll need to add 20% import duty to that and the delivery. The price I gave would be an all-in cost as delivered (includes brokerage fee).
It's not a bad price as is but I got my second XTZ 12.17 Edge for £510 all-in on their BF deal last year (which was a steal).

The Ascendo mentioned above was actually demo'd by one of our members mainly because its similar footprint to the 12.17 but that was returned as the specs aren't as good as the 12.17.

No, unfortunately not, you'll need to add 20% import duty to that and the delivery. The price I gave would be an all-in cost as delivered (includes brokerage fee).
It's not a bad price as is but I got my second XTZ 12.17 Edge for £510 all-in on their BF deal last year (which was a steal).

The Ascendo mentioned above was actually demo'd by one of our members mainly because its similar footprint to the 12.17 but that was returned as the specs aren't as good as the 12.17.

Specs? Or sound?

It seems the SV-12 has very good build and sound quality which is not suprise from this type of company, but perhaps this is too affordable price range for them to compete as competitors do offer bit more performance in the low end. That usually is one of the most important factor going for ported sub in first place. The spec is 25hz - 150hz without even mentioning +/- 3db, bit odd. Anyway i found some measurements for it from review. Slightly underwhelming for 900£ (RRP) product, but i´m sure the owners are happy as what it does it seems to do it very well and the build using HDF with sturdy braces. Also the two port open is better than in XTZ (most run 1port open to get best low end performance) when the cabinet is so compact as is the port length aswell. One ex-display unit and three open boxes available. Does the latter tell us something, why so many returned units? The 699£ price is bit better.

ascendo-sv-12-lfe-1024x667-1.png

So the above graph really highlights my experience.

My setup prior to looking for a small ported subwoofer (so to the OP, I fully appreciate your battle!) was an SVS SB-2000. I've had the sub for 3 years and it's served me well. Recently I realised that 99% of my use is TV/Movies and the only thing keeping me to a sealed sub was the fact it's a multipurpose room with kids and the WAF to get past. Having listened to a ported sub however, I had an itch and it needed to be scratched!!!

I tried the Arendal 1961 1V first - sounded great, good tactile base, but simply too big for the room and corner loading it to try and hide it from the mrs created bass localisation that I just couldn't live with, so it unfortunately had to go back.

This left things a little tough as "small" + "ported" don't often go together. I had started to think my way to deal with this was simply by going to a more powerful sealed (The Jeremy Clarkson approach), but then recalled the XTZ 12.17 from these forums.

I was kindly given an SV-12 to try, as it's pretty much the same exact footprint as the XTZ 12.17, a ported subwoofer and in the UK ready to collect. Unfortunately for me the deep bass rumble that I was craving and and worst still, experiencing in my room from the Arendal was simply not there.

I've attached some Audyssey graphs of the SB-12 vs my SB-2000 (I know it's not the same a sweep in REW, but it gives you an idea of the drop off). This was the polar opposite of what I wanted to achieve. I can't really comment on sound quality as knowing it wasn't right for my requirements it unplugged it and moved on. I also found it rather odd that the website lists the frequency response as 25hz, yet the manual (which is also on the website) shows 30hz attached ....which is it? Either way, neither is the 19hz +/- 3dB that the XTZ has.

I picked up the XTZ 12.17 edge and had it in place for a very short amount of time as the amp basically popped (which is not good), but I can say in the short amount of time it was working, it was digging where it needed to and whilst not at the same level as the Arendal, it wasn't miles off and importantly passed the WAF.

I have to wait probably another couple of weeks before a new one arrives due to how customs works to give the OP my full review (that's the downside of buying not in the UK), but there's a large thread and community on here that talk highly of it and despite some factors I wish were different (a version with both ports setup like the left port without the port turning), it seems to champion the small ported subwoofer category and at a decent price point (£620ish all in for me).

Hope that helps :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220524-131116_MultEQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-131116_MultEQ.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20220528-191505_MultEQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20220528-191505_MultEQ.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Manual.PNG
    Manual.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Web.PNG
    Web.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 56
So the above graph really highlights my experience.

My setup prior to looking for a small ported subwoofer (so to the OP, I fully appreciate your battle!) was an SVS SB-2000. I've had the sub for 3 years and it's served me well. Recently I realised that 99% of my use is TV/Movies and the only thing keeping me to a sealed sub was the fact it's a multipurpose room with kids and the WAF to get past. Having listened to a ported sub however, I had an itch and it needed to be scratched!!!

I tried the Arendal 1961 1V first - sounded great, good tactile base, but simply too big for the room and corner loading it to try and hide it from the mrs created bass localisation that I just couldn't live with, so it unfortunately had to go back.

This left things a little tough as "small" + "ported" don't often go together. I had started to think my way to deal with this was simply by going to a more powerful sealed (The Jeremy Clarkson approach), but then recalled the XTZ 12.17 from these forums.

I was kindly given an SV-12 to try, as it's pretty much the same exact footprint as the XTZ 12.17, a ported subwoofer and in the UK ready to collect. Unfortunately for me the deep bass rumble that I was craving and and worst still, experiencing in my room from the Arendal was simply not there.

I've attached some Audyssey graphs of the SB-12 vs my SB-2000 (I know it's not the same a sweep in REW, but it gives you an idea of the drop off). This was the polar opposite of what I wanted to achieve. I can't really comment on sound quality as knowing it wasn't right for my requirements it unplugged it and moved on. I also found it rather odd that the website lists the frequency response as 25hz, yet the manual (which is also on the website) shows 30hz attached ....which is it? Either way, neither is the 19hz +/- 3dB that the XTZ has.

I picked up the XTZ 12.17 edge and had it in place for a very short amount of time as the amp basically popped (which is not good), but I can say in the short amount of time it was working, it was digging where it needed to and whilst not at the same level as the Arendal, it wasn't miles off and importantly passed the WAF.

I have to wait probably another couple of weeks before a new one arrives due to how customs works to give the OP my full review (that's the downside of buying not in the UK), but there's a large thread and community on here that talk highly of it and despite some factors I wish were different (a version with both ports setup like the left port without the port turning), it seems to champion the small ported subwoofer category and at a decent price point (£620ish all in for me).

Hope that helps :)
Very helpful mate as I think my options seem to be narrowing. Monoprice will give me a discount so it’s £595 or so for the 10” and £675 for the 12”, the XTZ splits the difference.

I have no doubt the 12” mono might br the go to but can’t get past the 60cm depth, would really have to go in a corner to pull that off and I worry about sound localisation and other corner issues.

This leaves the 12” XTZ and 10” mono at a similar footprint and size and comparable costs.

Is the XTZ that much better than the 10” mono? It’s a shame the older v1 isn’t still available as that would have been a shoe in.

I had the mono 12 it is big had to side load mine it’s more like 63cm with the grill on , i now have 2 svs sb 1000 pro , and I will say 2 small subs is a lot better than 1 big sub
817F1637-7D3D-4040-8DD2-97004A094637.jpeg

Very helpful mate as I think my options seem to be narrowing. Monoprice will give me a discount so it’s £595 or so for the 10” and £675 for the 12”, the XTZ splits the difference.

I have no doubt the 12” mono might br the go to but can’t get past the 60cm depth, would really have to go in a corner to pull that off and I worry about sound localisation and other corner issues.

This leaves the 12” XTZ and 10” mono at a similar footprint and size and comparable costs.

Is the XTZ that much better than the 10” mono? It’s a shame the older v1 isn’t still available as that would have been a shoe in.

Comparing the raw output XTZ should have little bit more mid-bass and the Mono M10 V2 is stronger in the deep bass region judging from measurements. We can`t fully compare them whole working range cause XTZ uses different EQ modes in the measurements oddly. Normally in real life you stick with the one that gives you best low end (EQ set to REF + left port open & right port closed). XTZ has nicer finish options and smaller cabinet volume (example 40cm vs. 48cm depth). Shame you can´t opt for the M12 V2 cause the price difference is so small and performance gains are quite noticeable to these two.

I had the mono 12 it is big had to side load mine it’s more like 63cm with the grill on , i now have 2 svs sb 1000 pro , and I will say 2 small subs is a lot better than 1 big subView attachment 1711000

Two big subs will be better than two little ones though, if you can fit them, if they don't dominate the room or cause obstructions and using racking in way to fit things in rough drawing in paint what mine is like (TV, stand and subs)

No way would I fit TV, two subs (even 12" sb) plus seven audio components along front wall.

Even in op size room those 12"+ subs are large things like fireplace, doorway, sofa, radiators, walk way, TV racking all cause issues with placement.

Also physically ideal place might not be sonically ideal, or likewise sonically ideal spot could be right in front of fireplace.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220616-100221~2.png
    Screenshot_20220616-100221~2.png
    419.6 KB · Views: 59
Comparing the raw output XTZ should have little bit more mid-bass and the Mono M10 V2 is stronger in the deep bass region judging from measurements. We can`t fully compare them whole working range cause XTZ uses different EQ modes in the measurements oddly. Normally in real life you stick with the one that gives you best low end (EQ set to REF + left port open & right port closed). XTZ has nicer finish options and smaller cabinet volume (example 40cm vs. 48cm depth). Shame you can´t opt for the M12 V2 cause the price difference is so small and performance gains are quite noticeable to these two.
This is basically what I got to as well when I looked at the Monoprice. The XTZ is a little taller at 51CM vs 48, however the depth is 13CM less, so on that bit alone it worked better for my requirements!

Two big subs will be better than two little ones though, if you can fit them, if they don't dominate the room or cause obstructions and using racking in way to fit things in rough drawing in paint what mine is like (TV, stand and subs)

No way would I fit TV, two subs (even 12" sb) plus seven audio components along front wall.

Even in op size room those 12"+ subs are large things like fireplace, doorway, sofa, radiators, walk way, TV racking all cause issues with placement.

Also physically ideal place might not be sonically ideal, or likewise sonically ideal spot could be right in front of fireplace.
I know 2 big subs are better , he can’t fit big subs or that kind of budget i was giving the op my findings and experience

I know 2 big subs are better , he can’t fit big subs or that kind of budget i was giving the op my findings and experience
I'd have to agree. It's certainly horses for courses.

When I was first looking into getting a sub I was torn between the 'original' monolith (as in the BK Mono+) and the 12.17. In the end I'm happy with the choice, especially as I went dual. With a living room set up with kids, wife and all the associated clutter having 2 smaller subs has given me the option of multiple positions (if limited), which means that with a minidsp and some REW input means that I can get the most from the seating position(s).

I don't think I could have been able to fit a second BK mono sub in the room and even the first would have been limited to one or two spots tbh which may not have been sonically ideal.

Also in a living room environment the 12.17 can kick still out a prodigious amount of visceral low end bass, enough to feel like there's a transducer under the sofa in certain scenes.

I get the whole output thing, and if I had the luxury of a dedicated space with no neighbours then I may have chosen differently. Although probably not when the 12.17 was on the last BF deal at 444EUR because at £510 delivered that would have been a shoe-in for most domestic set-ups. Sadly, with the rises costs of production that may have been the last chance of that kind of deal but you never know.

One final note is on the WAF thing, or just my own taste. The quality of the finish on the 12.17 is top notch (sorry to @Mr B 85 for your experience but that is not usual). The piano gloss finish on both my subs is really nice and does make the sub as attractive as a box on stubby feet could be. I've also got a REL HT series and the vinyl wrap is very meh... although the sub itself a right little thumper, that carbon driver :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom