SVS 1000 Pro range introduced!

I think the hints they've been dropping make it BIG and NEW to the range. So we will have to wait and see.

What-ever it is, I have been told it is exciting!

How would the SVS PB-1000 Pro compare to the XTZ 12.17 EDGE?

Thanks

Sound wise no one knows yet, but if comparing raw performance it does offer bit more output and deeper extension. XTZ 12.17 Edge is often used so that one bung is closed and other open. Now with SVS you have two ports open always so there is less chance for port chuffing which is reported with the XTZs although i`m not sure is it mostly with that silly EOT opening scene. I think SVS cabinet is also slightly larger.

i would also like to know that because they are both 12'',at the same price and i need a SW asap!!!

SVS has more output in the whole working range and bit lower port tuning. Plus you have two ports moving air, with 12.17 Edge you would only have one if using the deep bass mode. So less chance of port noise with SVS. You also typically get 5-10% discount for SVS if you ask from forum advertisers. Also as a bonus SVS has better customer support.

Edit. You live in Greece. Not sure do you get discount there, ask!

SVS has more output in the whole working range and bit lower port tuning. Plus you have two ports moving air, with 12.17 Edge you would only have one if using the deep bass mode. So less chance of port noise with SVS. You also typically get 5-10% discount for SVS if you ask from forum advertisers. Also as a bonus SVS has better customer support.

No unfortunately i dont. The price for SVS PB 1000 is 750E, exactly the same is for XTZ 12.17 EDGE (including transfering costs). I dont understand, both have 2 ports for moving air, so what is the difference?

No unfortunately i dont. The price for SVS PB 1000 is 750E, exactly the same is for XTZ 12.17 EDGE (including transfering costs). I dont understand, both have 2 ports for moving air, so what is the difference?

The difference is you have to put one bung in and second open in the XTZ for the mode which is most useable. So you have only one port moving air with small cabinet, that may lead to port noise which has been reported when played at loud levels.

And as i mentioned SVS offers better (measured) performance. But the choice is yours.

yes but why is that? You should get more bass response when 2 of these ports are open.

yes but why is that? You should get more bass response when 2 of these ports are open.

It`s the way the XTZ 12.17 Edge is designed. If you keep both ports open you lose some deep bass output, one of main reason why larger ported sub is bought in first place. Compare the both ports open vs. left open/right closed below. This mode is most often prefered by owners. This is not to say this product wouldn`t be good, just that i see SVS PB1000 Pro offers bit more if you add the phone app control aswell.

sub-12-17-edge_5322064_Image2.jpg

What about the considerable difference in amp power, though?

SVS PB-1000 Pro: 325 W RMS, 820 W peak
XTZ 12.17 EDGE: 700 W RMS, 1045 W peak

What about the considerable difference in amp power, though?

SVS PB-1000 Pro: 325 W RMS, 820 W peak
XTZ 12.17 EDGE: 700 W RMS, 1045 W peak

As the more wiser people at AVF has said the power ratings of amps rarely tell whole truth cause the driver specs matter so much too. The measured data using the industry protocol CEA2010 shows SVS has the upper hand in output and FR something like (SVS 17-200hz vs. XTZ 19-200hz +/- 3db). These may not be the important for everyone, but for person who can buy product locally for same price which has better support/service - easy to deal if something happens, aftersale value if upgrading (SVS is still more known brand), better performance, app control with PEQ. Decisions. :)

Without knowing how sub power ratings have been measured in terms of impedance load, frequency range and distortion levels they mean absolutely zero and cannot be compared. Just like those of AVRs.

Then there’s the sub’s driver efficiency which is also unknown. Using a driver that is only 3dB more efficient could achieve the same SPL output with half the input power.

Measured SPL output is the only thing that’s reliable in any way, especially if you’re comparing subs of different brands.

Is there CEA-2010 data for the PB-1000 Pro yet?

Thanks

Ed posted these which as he added to the old PB1000 figures 1-1,5db for the 18-36hz octave and
3-4db for the more common 40hz-80hz octave where we see noticeable gains. This actually plays little louder than "old" PB2000 from 50hz upwards, but the larger cab and more power still rules at the 18-36hz region.

20hz - 101db
25hz - 104db
31,5hz - 105db
40hz - 110db
50hz - 112,5db
63hz - 112db
80hz - 111db

He also said. " PB1000 was always a subwoofer with little punch (kick bass), but strong at 20hz. PB1000 Pro has an upgrade at 50-100hz. So it will be more punchy now. "

There is gains in whole range and to compare XTZ 12.17 Edgee fully they would need to show measurements done in that one port mode, cause the way they have done it was using different port modes for different octaves, deep bass (left open), mid-bass (right open) and both open with eq2 (upper bass = useless mode for movies). In real life situation you would use only one mode through movie and usually either the left open or sealed cause the other ones are more or less usefull in normal situation.

Ed posted these which as he added to the old PB1000 figures 1-1,5db for the 18-36hz octave and
3-4db for the more common 40hz-80hz octave where we see noticeable gains. This actually plays little louder than "old" PB2000 from 50hz upwards, but the larger cab and more power still rules at the 18-36hz region.

20hz - 101db
25hz - 104db
31,5hz - 105db
40hz - 110db
50hz - 112,5db
63hz - 112db
80hz - 111db

He also said. " PB1000 was always a subwoofer with little punch (kick bass), but strong at 20hz. PB1000 Pro has an upgrade at 50-100hz. So it will be more punchy now. "

There is gains in whole range and to compare XTZ 12.17 Edgee fully they would need to show measurements done in that one port mode, cause the way they have done it was using different port modes for different octaves, deep bass (left open), mid-bass (right open) and both open with eq2 (upper bass = useless mode for movies). In real life situation you would use only one mode through movie and usually either the left open or sealed cause the other ones are more or less usefull in normal situation.
Thanks!

Do you mean that:

1. He got the actual numbers for the PB-1000 Pro and calculated a difference of 1-1,5 dB and 3-4 dB at those ranges, or

2. He assumed that the PB-1000 Pro would be 1-1,5 dB and 3-4 dB more powerful at those ranges and calculated the total output that you listed?

Thanks!

Do you mean that:

1. He got the actual numbers for the PB-1000 Pro and calculated a difference of 1-1,5 dB and 3-4 dB at those ranges, or

2. He assumed that the PB-1000 Pro would be 1-1,5 dB and 3-4 dB more powerful at those ranges and calculated the total output that you listed?

He added to old PB1000 figures as he remembers what the new Pro range did. So those i posted should be quite correct. He didn´t have the CEA measurements on that computer. We will see third party measurements soon as James from Audioholics will measure the PB1000 Pro and put out review soon, when i asked i think he said next month. :)

I think those specific numbers aren´t as important in big picture, the more welcome news is they made the gains in the 50-100hz range just like the 3000 range and that is usually where it matters big time! :) Keep in mind that the old PB1000 with 10" driver was stronger in the deep bass region than XTZ 12.17 (500w) both in measurements and also how it sounded (French review comparison), and this new one made still small gains there. This new Pro model seems like a winner really as it has what i would imagine to be enough output than most people need for typical lounge cinema so they can save good amount sticking with 1000 Pro range rather than PB2000 Pro (~600£ vs. 1000£).

We will see third party measurements soon as James from Audioholics will measure the PB1000 Pro and put out review soon, when i asked i think he said next month. :)
Excellent. I love his reviews. I'm expecting the PB-1000 Pro will be shown to punch well above its power spec weight.

On a slight change of topic: does anyone know of cheaper / better alternatives to the SVS SoundPath legs?

They cost €70 here which I think is way too much for four fancy rubber pieces. It would add more than 10% to the price of a PB-1000 Pro here.

Thanks

On a slight change of topic: does anyone know of cheaper / better alternatives to the SVS SoundPath legs?

They cost €70 here which I think is way too much for four fancy rubber pieces. It would add more than 10% to the price of a PB-1000 Pro here.

Thanks

Search some cheap alternative locally. Those feets aren`t magical..

I've never done but I've read that some people make their own sub isolation feet by cutting 2 squash balls in half and filling them with silicone sealant.

Thanks

I used these, made a massive difference to the amount of boom in the room from my SB1000 Pro. I preferred these ones as the sub sits closer to the floor than the hemispheres below.

And also tried these, not sure of the weight of the PB1000 so you might need the 40mm instead. Both worked the same but preferred the lower profile as mentioned.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom