1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVP350 bulb problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by minus, Nov 28, 2004.

1. minus

minus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don’t know much about projectors as this is the first 1 got my hands on. It's a SIM2 SVP350 PLUS PJ. When I turn it on, everything seems to work... but the Green centre bulb looks "fuzzy" when I look directly into the bulb I can see a lot of dust/dirt at the back of it, the other 2 bulbs look fine. Does this mean that the bulb needs to be replaced or is there some way to clean it?

Ged

2. BenC

BenC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    1) Unplug from the mains!

2) Remove the lense in front of the green tube (make a note of which small metal sims are behind each screw) and clean carefully. You can do the other lenses whilst you're there if they need it. Whilst the lenses are off check the tubes for burn. See here for more info: http://www.crtcinema.com/crtratings.html

3) Screw lenses back into place. Re-focus all three lenses. Basic instructions are in the manual.

The tubes should last around 10,000 hours if the projector has been setup correctly. If, however, the tubes been overdriven they can last considerably less. It's worth checking the working time of your projector. Off the top of my head I can't remember which menu this is in, but one of the other guys here will know.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It could be dirt as BenC suggests, but there's a dust seal between the lenses and tubes of a 350 which usually stops this sort of build up. Curious that one lens is affected and not all three.

Whip the lenses off and have a look anyway. BTW, I'm sure you know not to use chemicals or abrasive cleaning products on the lenses or tubes :hiya:

Another possible cause is the Electronic Focus adjustment is seriously out of whack.

Regards

4. minus

minus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks you both for the advice will have a look at it today, and let you know how I get on.

Cheers
    Ged

5. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I presume you focused it correctly?

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had exactly the same problem with one I just got from this guy I would highly recommend you avoid from eccles (eBay). I say that because I gave him a good price for a 350 because as he said, 'I knew what I would be getting'. Hmmm. Anyway he's ignoring me now because he's got his money I guess.

Anyway. I found out that the problem was fungus... and boy was it fungus! It's a bit of a job but you need to drain the coolant from in front of the tube, pull the glass of the front of the tube, then scrape the fungus off, clean it, reseal it, filter the coolant and return it to its home.

I found full details on http://www.eboyztoyz.com/index.php?ncat=145 which seems pretty comprehensive.

I've just put the coolant back in and have lost about a centimeter in the process. I've read all sorts of suggestions for topping it up like baby oil, anti-freeze, deionised water, etc... Not really sure what to topit up with tho. Any ideas?

Looking forward to getting it going without the fungus (it was like grease all over a frying pan after the biggest fry-up you can imagine!)