1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Svideo vs Scart

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bobby_Dazzler, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am going to purchase a PW6 next week and i have been experimenting with svideo as i will need to run a 15 meter run from my sky + to the pw6. im not impressed with s video even tho i tried a meter long sony manufactured lead. baring in mind that i need to channel out the wall go through the celing through an outside wall and back in what format will be best? a friend has told me that running 3 rg59 cables and terminating them with bnc would be best.. whats your opinions?

bobby

ps sorry if im doing ur heads in !

i am willing to spend 300 quid on the right input card and convertors but dont forget that i will need to get the cable through a 10mm hole !

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not certain what this has to do with 'Svideo vs Scart' but obviously it depends on what connectivity you require, i.e. what connections does your source have and what connections does your plasma have (and which ones are you gonna use).
    As well you mention a converter - what type / what for?

3. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the equipment will be

sky + pace box with s video output and scart
    Sony dav sa30 - with scart and composite output
    ps2

connected to a wall mounted pw6 with a 10 meter cable run also taking in to account that i will have to fit the cables through a small hole 12mm

I have had lots of views on this but i have never mentioned the fact of getting it through the wall!!

would converting the scart to component be the best option then running some rg59 to the pw6 and terminating the rg59 with bnc connectors then use bnc to phono adaptors to connect to the pw6. by doing it this way getting the cable from a to b going through a small hole (12mm) would be easier.???? :thumbsup:

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, but what signals does the Scart of each source carry? Remember that Scart can carry composite, S-Video and RGB - depending on what the source allows to output.

And what terminations does your plasma support (beside component/YUV)?
    (I believe this depends on the board you choose!?)

I think a BNC connector is bigger or at least not smaller than a phono connector, and since you need to terminate into phono anyhow I would see no need for the adaptors, just use phono connectors.

5. Bob Beaney

Bob Beaney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Bobby,

Strikes me you might want to aproach this another way. Why not move the sky to the same room the Plasma will be in (assuming it's not suitable to put the Plasma where the Sky is) and then you should be able to run an extension cable I would have thought quite easily from where your sky box connection was to it's new position and then if you don't mind the slight decrease in video quality and mono sound only you should be able to (at least I could with my Pace Sky Box) run coaxial cable which is inexspensive to a secondary TV/Monitor.

By shortening the signal path from your Sky Box you should (although I,m no cable expert and someone might tell you otherwise) then get the best picture from your primary video source the Plasma. Which is I guess what most of us would like.

Cheers :)

6. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again

well i do want the sky box in the same room but on the opposite wall so i dont have to see all the cables etc the desired effect i am looking for is just the plasma and thats it. the sky remote as you probably all know can be pointed anywhere and it will work so i want to mount the ps2 sky and sony dav sa 30 out of the way.

the spec on the sky box is as follows so maybe someone could tell me the best type of connection.

here it is....

Tapeless Digital Recording with the Sky+ service
    Receives programming from Sky Digital on Astra2 28.2 E satellites
    Records up to 35 hours on internal 40Gb hard disk
    High Speed picture Search at 2X, 6X, and 30X Normal Speed
    Electronic Program Guide Displays up to 14 Days
    Dolby Digital 5.1 via an Optical Digital Output
    Audio Output: 1 pair of L/R RCA Jacks
    Video Output: 2 - RGB/Composite SCART and 1 - S-Video Mini-DIN
    RF loop-through in/out and extra RF out with DC (to power Sky remote IR control)
    Telephone Interface
    Size :17” x 3” x 14"
    MSRP: £300 UK
    Sky+ Service: £10/Month

regards

bobby

7. Bob Beaney

Bob Beaney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Bobby,

I think your'e find plenty of threads on this forum that can help with your connection options.

But I,ld like to suggest you might want to think about checking out if you could run your connections from Sky to Plasma under your floor boards which is something I,ve just done for my sound system to Plasma link,a distance of about 7 Metres. The decision to do this was made easier for me because I needed to remove and relocate a Radiator which was right where I wanted my Plasma to go, so having removed a floorboard or two for this, the running of my speaker cables etc under the floor rather than under the carpet was quite straight forward, as the floor Joists ran in the same direction that I wanted to run the cables. On exiting on the opposite side to the Plasma the cables run about 2 Metres to my sound system along the skirting board (Could be put behind) mainly hidden by a cabinet.

Cheers

8. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the idea but it would not work at my place as i live on a 1st floor apartment and i have woodern flooring. the only was i could reduce the run is rather then chasing the wall to the ceiling is to chase it to the floor verticaly then chase horizontaly to an exit point this would be about 8 meters i recon.