1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

svideo in black and white

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by hookbeak, Sep 13, 2005.

1. hookbeak

hookbeak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connect my HTPC to my CRT via svideo.

The svideo goes from the graphics card to a scart block that converts it to a scart connector. This then goes to a scart switchbox sending the signal to my TV and to a video recorder - the video recorder confverts to RF which is then sent via cabling to the other tv's around the house.

The image on my main TV is clear, sharp and in colour.

The image on my other TV's is clear, sharp and black & white.

I looked around a bit, and then found this : http://www.svideo.com/svideoscart.html

which claimed to fix it - so i bought one and fitted yesterday and it works.

BUT....

The image quality is woeful - it's shimmery and flat and blurry on all tv's.

Anyone help me out with a solution / remedy / ideas / place to buy a decent cable ?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If it's in black & white then either you're not sending the S-Vid signal to an S-Vid capable input on your TV or you've lost the chrominance part of the signal somewhere in your switchboxes. :)

3. hookbeak

hookbeak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can't be either as the new cable does give me colour (with a crummy image quality)

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I don't quite understand what is special about this connector and why they are saying a scart connector only carries composite signal.

Also it is not clear to me what type of cable is being run to the other sets from the VCR. Sounds like there is some form of conversion process going on once it has entered the VCR.

5. hookbeak

hookbeak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the vcr i use standard RF to the other TV's.

The conversion is not in the video - if i take the cable direct from my scart switchbox (via composite) it's bllack and white too.

There must be something special with the cable i got from svideo - as i've said it works and sends colour to all tv's - only the quality is poor.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I take it that your VCR is only VHS rather than SVHS. The reason I say that is a standard VHS VCR can not accept an S-Video signal, only and S-VHS VCR will. So what is happening is the PC sends the colour & picture (chrominance & luminance) on different pins via S-Video. The scart switch boxs carries this on to the TV without a problem, but the VCR just ignores the colour information as it can only detect the composite signal which is the luminance pin from an S-Video signal in a scart connection.
    I assume that the adaptor just combines the chrominance & luminance signals within the S-Video signal it receives and outputs a low quality composite signal, which is all the VHS VCR can accept.

Mark.

ps, if the above makes no sense then don't blame me, well it is 4 o'clock in the morning and I have been up all night :suicide:

7. hookbeak

hookbeak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So my new cable that works - but has poor quality is just converting svideo to composite. That makes sense. it sucks, but makes sense !

Cheers !