SVIDEO from NTL Pace to Panny 5 - fuzzy b&w?!?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by FaxFan2002, Jul 21, 2003.

1. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Hi,

Just got a Panny 5 and I've got the following setup / problem:-

NTL (PACE) cable box -> SVIDEO -> Yamaha AMP -> SVIDEO MONITOR OUT -> Panny 5 VIDEO connection

The output is Black and White which is slightly fuzzy. I *think* it maybe a RGB problem not sure - it did work fine on my old rear projection TV. Composite & SVIDEO work fine from other sources. Any NTL users out there who have had the same problem? - I will try via composite tonight and see what happens. I will also by trying comp. video with a pal progressive dvd player - can't wait!

Thanks in advance,

Robin.

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Funny how several people seem to get the same problems at once.

This sounds like what you get when you have a composite feed going down an s-video line. As far as I can make out from what I have been told on here, you are only getting the luminace (sp?) information. The colour information is sent down the other pair of wires.

If it were a SCART connection, I would say you need to find the settings in your NTL box to turn the s-video signal on (because SCART cannot send composite / RGB and s-video out all at the same time). This may still hold true if your box has SCART out as well. Maybe the s-video can also be connection can be switched on and off from a menu or something.

If not you can always buy a cheapy composite to s-video adapter (£5 from Maplins).

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi did not think ntl has a s-video output

4. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    technical it doesn't - but I have put a SCART adapter on with a SVIDEO feed. I've tried all the settings in the NTL box with no joy...

All my stuff is SVIDEO don't really want to swap over to composite if I can aviod it.

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yep. This is exactly the same issue I had.

If you want to keep the PQ of RGB then you will need the adapter described by jmack above. However the composite to s-video adapter remains an alternative. It just enables you to transmit on both the colour and luminance lines of s-video from a composite source. PQ will be as for composite, unfortunately.

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Composite it may have to be then, or RGB passthru SVIDEO convertor thing. I will weigh up the options - it would appear all my other stuff (DVD recorder, XBOX) work ok.

Composite vs. SVIDEO quality - about the same?

Also I am going to pass thru my Gamecube and PS2 via a VGA adapter - any known issues?

Thanks for the advice guys..

Robin