1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Svideo connection Digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by lloydo, Apr 1, 2003.

1. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any digital still cameras with a svideo connection?

[Edit] More searching has told me that there are but are there any suitable for connection to a Panasonic 37in plasma (852*480 pixels)

Thanks in advance

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could always simply burn images to CD and play them through a DVD player, then you wont limit your choice because most do composite!

3. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know my dvd player does not play vcd's (dav300, I know it's not much cop but it does for now), and I don't have a computer at home (8 hours a day is enough on the thing). I just wanted a cheapish (<£250) digital camera that I could connect straight to the plasma utilising the svideo connection.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, just think youll be limiting the selection of cameras by going for svid, wouldnt be better to go for a good camera with a composite lead, rather than an average camera with svid. The plasma must take composite or is that the reason for Svideo?

Im assuming the dav is a sony. Are you sure it doesnt do VCDs. My sony DVD (735 ) player reads off CD-RW based vcds. I believe it also takes certain brands of cd-r.

5. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony DAVS300 will not accept VCD's (as far as I know), I need to change this DVD set up but money and space.....
    I don't understand why cameras have composite connections, surely svideo is a much better connection, plus the plasma has a svid connection on the front of the tuner.

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Most probably because the video aspect of the camera is so low in resolution and quality its assumed that people wont be using te TV as a primary viewer. I did have a look at acouple of sistes for you but couldnt find anything.

Your dvd player will play vcds (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=davs300&Submit=Search&Search=Search).

But like most sony players except new ones they wont play CD-Rs (Sonys way of persuading us that minidisc is a better digital recorder).

So for svideo/rgb viewing of photos burning VCDS onto CDRs seems an alternative

7. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nunew33, thanks for your help with this.
    Basically it best to get the image burnt onto a VCD (but I don't have a computer etc.), and play it through the DVD. I'll try to get a VCD with pictures on and give it a go. Thanks again.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I believe the easist CDR to source is vivastar. Ive bought some from pczoo.co.uk. Cheap cds, extortionate postage!!!

Ive also read that mine can do Kodak PhotoCD but have yet to test this. Being a sony you may have the same facility.

9. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nunew33
    I understand what you mean by composite now ( 3 connections, small round ones), I was thinking of composite RF lead for an aerial. The plasmas tuner has these so I can connect the digital camera this way. I was recommended the Sony P71 or the new P72?? but I suppose I have a much bigger choice now around the £250 mark.

Cheers again.

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Composite is a single lead like a phono one. The triple leads are componant!!! Not to be confused!!!!!

Composite isnt the RF lead either.

Composite is the bottom of the pile in terms of quality followed by svid and the cream is composite. But the differences are of the order 10-20% not 100-200%.

There are so many cameras its difficult to make a recommendation. Being a keen amature photographer I would go for something with aperture/shutter speed flexibility at the cost of pixels (such as canon A40) but if pixels was my thing then I would go for the 4Megapixel Kodak DX4900. But it really depends what you are looking for and what you will use it for.

Id be surprised if the plasma didnt take composite

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A succinct picture of sockets to show the difference between composite componant.

Attached Files:

12. lloydo

lloydo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My tuner connections can be seen here (I'm a bit worried now, am I allowed to link to a online retailer who I've never used but do have useful info on their website, oh well).

I suppose for ease of use I'll use composite but for a better picture I can use component.
    I'll check out the cameras you suggested, thanks again, steep learning curve again for me.

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/865-panasonic-th-37pw5b-plasma-widescreen-tv.html

13. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So composite is the yellow one on the front. Most digicams will use this. The advantage of S-video over Composite will be (and Im prepared to be flamed for ignorance here) more to do with colour than resolution. On my 29" TV the difference between svid and composite using the DVD player playing VCDs of photos is noticeable but negligable if you know what I mean.

So Id not let the video connection be a deciding factor.

In choosing a new camera there is a newbie advice sticky on this site. The main thing is to list what you want from a camera rather than be told what you need. When you have decided what you want and what you will use it for selecting a camera becomes easy. There is no perfect camera (except maybe the canon EOS1 or the cheaper EOS10 but these being £1000+ is out of reach for most, saying that if compact size and point and shoot are your priorities these cameras are useless to you despite their leading edge technology) so you simply have to find one that meets your criteria.