svideo cable length???

markhudds2

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why a 12m svideo lead (Lektropacks pro-grade) works fine for connecting Sky+ (or DVD) to a Sony KV32FX65 TV or VPL-VW11HT projector BUT when connected to a Panny TH-42PW4 plasma I get major cross hatching (due to loss of signal strength)?

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the svideo input on the plasma as a shorter lead (up to 6m) works fine. Why dont the TV and projector exhibit the same cross hatching when using a longer lead?

Due to equipment positions, I can't get away with anything less than a 12m svideo lead for the plasma so I'm now wondering if a distribution amplifier with line drive might help. Keene are doing a Kramer Y/C 1:3 distribution/amplifier box which has a gain control for the outputs. Would this be worth trying?

Cheers.

S-Video doesn't travel well, long leads need to be exceptional quality. Couple this with plasma's dislike of poor signals and you have the answer to your problem I think. The projector is probably a bit more forgiving of the reduced signal strength than your plasma and so doesn't exhibit the same problems. I don't know about the amplifier but sounds like a solution

Do you have anthing in the composite video input as the same time as S-Video input?

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to run S-Video over a long distance, providing you've got a properly matched 75 ohm cable.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Nope, nothing in composite ... just svideo connected.

I rang Panasonic out of curiosity, and the technical guy there suggested that 6m was the maximum you should have for an svideo connection to a plasma!!! :eek:

This pales in comparison to my CRT TV which shows a 25m svideo signal without noticable loss!

As a side note for Dr John ... if I wanted to get RGBs out of my Sky+ box twice - once to your RGBs to Component convertor box and the other to a scart on a TV, could I use a 1:2 scart splitter box? I remember you having such a device on your web site however it's not there any more ... have you stopped doing this unit?

Cheers, Mark.

Originally posted by MarkHudds
could I use a 1:2 scart splitter box? I remember you having such a device on your web site however it's not there any more ... have you stopped doing this unit?

Cheers, Mark.

One of the parts inside the Active Video Buffer became obsolete, well, that version of it. You can still get the slightly different part, but it would mean a redesign of the unit. So I had to pull the plug on it - sorry. It may well return again at a later date as I am getting asked about the unit quite often.

All the best,

John.

MarkHudds

We run S-Video up to and including 15m on Plasma installations with no major side effects as described in your initial post.

Have you ensured that your PRO cable is seated properly at both ends - many PRO cables tend to go for over sized 'chunky' connectors and these sometimes foul the input socket and stop you getting a good connection; you have to use a blade to trim the connector (or the plastic around the input socket - Dr John!).

Also have you ensured that your S-Video cable is not running along or past some form of interference on its 12m travels.

The Kramer VM-9YC 1:2 S-Video line Amplifier will help if the problem is related to signal length and signal strength - we use these quite often for 'long run' installations.

Best regards

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Fernand
you have to use a blade to trim the connector (or the plastic around the input socket - Dr John!).

I noticed that one of our customers had taken a hacksaw to one of the S-Video converters!

This has been addressed in Version 2 - it's now SCART based so if you have S-Video in to a TV or VCR that supports Widescreen Switching, you still have that facility. And RGB Pass-through really helps if you want to keep RGB to your TV and have S-Video to, say, a DVD-R.

All the best,

John.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom