Svideo cable and SC-DT310 problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by andy27972, Apr 4, 2004.

1. andy27972

andy27972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, I have a little connection problem which I am hoping you guys may be able to help me with. I have just bought a lovely Panasonic SC-DT310 and it is great, however, my television (a Thomson 24WT25US - the 24" one with a DVD in it) has 2 SCART sockets at the back, and an SVIDEO in at the side. Now I have an xbox and have tried pluging it in the svideo in the past and have only got a B&W signal. Originally I just assumed that it was the xbox or the cable and forgot about it as I just connected it via the scart. But now I have bought an Svideo to scart cable to connect the Panasonic, but have exactly the same problem. Consequently I have had to resort to the rather inferior video in terminal.

Any ideas? I am a bit new to all this so maybe I am overlooking something but it seems a bit odd to me!! Helpppppp!!!

2. andy27972

andy27972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh pants, I've read that if your SCART does not accept SVIDEO you get a B&W picture! Why is this and is there any way round it? Has anyone got any bright ideas as to how I could get a better picture or am I going to have to make do until I get a new TV? Its not the end of the world I suppose, on a 24" TV it is not as noticeable difference in quality as there would be on a bigger tv but still....

3. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Obvious question but have you selected S-video on the 310 ?

4. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An S-Video signal appears black and white because the luma signal uses the same pin as composite video, you therefore get to watch the luma part of the s-video signal, unfortunately you get no chroma.

If you don't have a compatible scart you can convert the signal back to composite, not ideal but it will work. You can do the conversion with a £3.99 adapter:-

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD006.html

Or if you're a dab hand with a soldering iron, connect a 470pF capacitor between the chroma and luma pins on the scart.

Andy.