svhs

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stormchaser, Nov 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    does anyone know if there are any cheapish nicam decks that can output svhs or even cheap svhs decks,its to copy old camcorder tapes that are on vhs that I no longer have originals for?

many thanks

cheers

2. TonyHDS4

TonyHDS4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not completely sure what you are trying to do, nor how much is cheap....but have a look at the JVC HDS4 HD recorder. It makes exceptionally good DV copies from VHS-C/SVH-C to its HD which you can splice or otherwise edit. It can then copy back to VHS/SVHS with minimal loss - in fact in some circumstances the copy can be better. Additionally it has firewire output which can be linked to a separate DVD-/+R system.

T

3. colin_e

colin_e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    JVC make a VCR/DVD combo (the JVC HR-XVS20) that may do what you
    want. It's a good unit, although it's output setup can make it a bit of
    a b^&()d to connect up to some AV setups.

Regards: Colin

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,780
    1: The only VCRs that will generate an SVideo signal are SVHS VCRs.

2: Playing back a regular VHS tape on an SVHS machine produces a signal of VHS quality.

There is nothing to be gained by using an SVideo connection. On VHS the video signal is recorded as composite. In order to provide an SVideo output from a VHS tape, the SVHS machine splits the composite signal into Chroma and Luma. Whereas, if you transmit the signal via a composite video into another device, (and the other device - SVHS VCR, DVD recorder etc requires a split signal) then the other device will do the 'splitting'. So, by using an SVHS machine and an SVideo connection - all you are doing is changing where the conversion is done.

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    This is incorrect. VHS and S-VHS VCRs record the luminance and chrominance signals completely separately. The luminance is recorded on a 3.8-4.8MHz FM carrier (5.4-7.0MHz for S-VHS) and the chrominance is downconverted to a 627Khz AM signal. Keeping these separate from VCR to TV does have a very visible effect on picture quality as any comparison of the two connections will show. The main difference is absence of the PAL "rope effect", the diagonal lines often seen where colours meet, and the elimination of strobing on fine patterns.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've got a JVC one, the 5565 I think. £150, I'm plaesed with it. It's got 2 s-capable scarts, and a composite in on the front, good video quality on recording, and it makes a better than VHS job on pre-recorded tapes, especially good ones like star wars trilogy.

7. Line_Man

Line_Man
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember GIGO.

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got the JVC HR-S7965. As far as I can recall, it's the same as the cheaper model, but for the addition of a timebase corrector.

In some ways, I still prefer my fifteen* year-old Toshiba ( :eek: *I just worked that out!) and a couple of more recent Tosh models that I've used. For me, the Toshiba units are truly user-friendly, more attractive and give a slightly better picture with day-to-day recordings (and cheap tape!).

I also found the 7965 to be incredibly lightweight, in comparison to two of the older Toshiba recorders. I haven't moved the third (a current model, I believe), so can't compare all the models. The two older Toshiba machines use metal on all but the fascia, so perhaps it's just a sign that things are moving on and that build costs and/or 'the internals' are being reduced... That may be mostly cosmetic though.

The JVC hasn't yet been fed with tasty tape for home recordings, but I can say that given the right material (it has a particular penchant for pre-recorded Jurassic Park :clap: ), the picture is quite fantastic. I have found it less so with recordings from the Toshiba, but considering the wear and tear on that deck and that I usually leave the TBC/NR on (rather than using the JVC's 'video stabilizer' (it's one or the other), which can prove more successful), it does okay. It just appears a bit 'tizzy' on edges, in comparison to the Tosh.

Hmm, all of that may read a bit too aggressively. With the advent of DVD, it's quite hard to be impressed by anything else, these days; but the 7965 is a good piece of equipment - particularly when the price is taken into account! A few months ago, I paid a little over £150 (including delivery) - an amount that more typically buys a relatively basic VHS deck.

To attempt to close on a high note, it can be great with Freeview recording. Er, depending what mood Freeview's in!

Hope that little lot's relevant and proves useful :D

9. fantrace

fantrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be one you want to consider. Dixons/Currys have a JVC SVHS VCR, model number HR-S6965EK, for £99.99 in their sale, down from £129.99. Can't find out anything about it on the JVC site, so it may be a special (ie cut down) version of one of the 5965 / 7965 type models done for Currys/Dixons only.

10. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic NVFJ 780BS is a VHS recorder which can playback S- VHS. They call it Quasy S-VHS. It has many other unusual features. Lowest price I can find, is Comet at £129.95