SVHS to DVD conversion - all Panasonic kit

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tafflad, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Tafflad

Tafflad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I need to convert a tape collection – to DVD, the majority of them are SVHS tapes….. what do I need to do to make sure I get the best out of the SVHS tapes during transfer.

I would like to have some simple editing on PC after conversion, so I can ‘cut out the rubbish’ and merge several tapes onto one DVD etc.

Equipment ..
    I have a reasonably fast Dell PC, 4GB RAM running VISTA Ultimate. It has multiple USB 2 ports and 1 firewire port. It has a multiple HD RAID system … so loads of HD space.
    Software wise … I have standard VISTA video programmes - Windows movie Maker etc.
    I also have ADOBE Premier and ADOBE AFTER Effects (never used either though)
    I have what was a top spec Panasonic SVHS video recorder NV-HH800 with the adapter so I can use my SVHS-C tapes from Camorder in this.
    Probably not relevant – I also have a Panasonic DVD Recorder E95H, so I could convert tape to DVD that way.

I have received several emails from ROXIO …. For their Easy VHS to DVD product, which has an Svideo input as well as stereo audio … and a lead to allow these to be plugged into a USB port.
    Is this a sensible way to proceed ? ……. Is SVHS input via USB retaining as much quality as possible,
    They also include their conversion software.
    I have no idea what format it converst to or quality of it.

What is the best way for me to proceed.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    This all hinges on the type of editing you wish to do.

You've said 'simple editing' ... so I assume it is simple cut editing to tidy the material.

The reason it is relevant is that changing from the analogue to the digital domain means compression... and sophisticated editing of compressed material is problematic and usually involves quality penalties.

The de facto file standard for DVD's is MPEG2... and the golden rule for moving / handling/ handling all such digital material is to keep the number of encodings down to an absolute minimum... and preferable only one... which happens at conversion.
    Every encoding incurs a loss.

Given that you want to do the editing on PC, it means editing after conversion... The file format is determined by your intended destination: DVD's... [ so MPEG2] so you want to look at editors and authoring software that allow you to cut edit MPEG2 and will then allow you to author without re-encoding the material. I believe TMPGEnc will allow this [ but investigate further].

I don't know anything of the roxio capture device you mention but I doubt there is much of a difference in any such devices.
    Basically they will capture the analogue material and convert it to MPEG2.

An alternative approach is to feed into the E95H via S-Video onto RAM's using them as the carrying medium to get them to your PC.
    Your PC will need a RAM read /write drive [ most are not] but they are cheap and easy to fit... and a piece of Panasonic software which can be downloaded. [ MovieAlbumSE ]
    This software would even allow you to edit and will export MPEG.

Bear in mind that moving forward archive material like this is extremely time consuming , and the fun of it can quickly fade and become a grind. So cherry pick what you move forward.
    Most broadcast material can be obtained one way or another these days and very cheap second hand DVD's can be had of much material which will perform much better than anything you can bring forward ... and will be in more appropriate aspect formats.
    So convert your irreplaceable and otherwise unobtainable personal stuff first.

Good luck... and keep us informed of your journey and experiences.

3. Tafflad

Tafflad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am only going to convert SVHS tapes from my Camcorder - so no option to buy it new.

I will want to do some dice & slice to remove rubbish, and possibly adjust colour, denoise etc.

From what I have read I need to end up with files that are:
    25 fps
    720 x 576
    9.8Mbs bit rate
    Dual pass encoded (if an option)

Initially what I want is to get the files from SVHS tape onto my PC HD ...

Which is the best option ...
    Cable VCR to DVD recorder, copy across the tapes ... and create a simple DVD with as many of tapes as I can get on a single DVD with settings at XP
    Will this give me MPEG2 video files on the DVD ?

If it does I have these as my 'Masters' and can copy the files into PC for any editing with a suitable MPEG2 software suite (Panasonics ?)

Or am I better to use Pinnacle or Roxy cable solution to take VCR SVideo direct into USB input and save files direct on PC.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I presume that the roxio solution would do all this ... and presumably supply means of editing too, and I would expect perhaps some image adjustment.
    In that sense [ assuming is does all these things ] then it is a neat all-in-one answer.

Yes. Once anything is on DVD via SD equipment, it will be in MPEG2 format.

Note that at XP a DVD is limited to a nominal 1 hour of material. [At SP Nominally 2 hours ]
    I'm not sure that there is anything to promote one method over the other.
    They both require you to buy some hardware [ Roxio capture or RAM read/write drive] ... so it may be down to which you think may be the most convenient for your purpose.
    The 'direct into PC' sounds convenient ... but PC and video often produce snags and problems which can significantly affect one's perception of convenient!

Just choose the method you prefer.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I've copied many a home video (and off air TV) SVHS tapes to DVD using Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder (now using a EX77) and also authoring on a PC where one piece of software is NEVER enough so I tend to use TMPG DVD Author and for simple editing I use Womble MPEG Wizard (the latest version also does DVD authouring).

My process is probably a lot more basic than what you may want, i.e. i tend NOT to do any unnecessary additional re-encoding (so no fancy fades, titling etc) once I have it on my Pan EX77 hard disk.

If your VCR has a TBC (time base corrector) try a sample first with it on and then off, i've found it can do more harm than good on some tapes (mine is a JVC but i've had three Panny SVHS vcrs in the past all with TBCs and all with mixed results).

I copy to the HDD at SP level (NEVER below this), sometimes at XP, but you'd be pushed to see a difference (9.8mbps is also an overkill IMO for SVHS but you have no choice on the Panny).

I then high speed copy to DVD RAM.

On the PC I import the vro on teh DVd RAM with TMPG DVD Author or Mpeg Wizard ( I wouldn't be tempted to just re-name the VRO to an mpeg like some do as it may cause problems with some apps.)

I then make simple cuts and author to DVD adding chapters, menus etc.
    (no additional re-encoding, so quality is the same as it was on the Panny HDD)

IF I want to do any fancy editing, titles, music etc (i.e RE-ENCODE) then I tend to use my old ULead Video studio 9 which claims to re-encode ONLY at the edit points, but I always frame serve it to TMPGenc Express 4 as I find it gives it superior results. I'm sure the Adobe software is equally is good.
    Here I would probably reduce the bit rate to about 8mb and leave the res at what it was originally and always use DD for audio and also do a two pass encode.

I then import the processed mpeg into my DVD Authoring software.

Long winded, yes, but I have yet to find one piece of software that is best at all.
    TMPG have been around a while and have an excellent reputation when it comes to re-encoding

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    ' Much my experience too.

I switch TBC and all signal processing off routinely as DVDR inputs seem more than capable of dealing with the processing themselves.

7. Tafflad

Tafflad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

So you use a DVD -RAM drive in PC ?
    Mine don't support -RAM ... and no spare Bays ...

I guess I could swap out the DVD read only drive for a RAM drive as long as they don't cost too much.
    I could use DVD -R disks and accept the cost on the disks, rather than being able to re-use.
    Panasonic DVD does not support -RW disks.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Yes I use DVD-RAM disks, mainly because my orig Pan recorder of about 4 years ago could only write to RAM. The latest ones record to all formats incl RW.

A DVD RW/RAM drive shouldn't cost you much these days (under £20), not sure how much RAM disks are these days as I still use my old ones.

You probably need to cost your whole project as it will probably be cheaper to use DVD-Rs instead. It will certainly be the fastest route with 16x disks as opposed 4x RAMs (i think mine may even be 2x!) and you'll have a load of master disks if you ever need copy them again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Bear in mind that if you want to use DVD-R's you cannot use the Panasonic software as that only supports DVD-RAM.

10. carlan2uk

carlan2uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have very good editing results with Ram discs. I copy to the Panasonic dvd recorder via the DV input (directly by cable from the cam corder).Once it is on the ram disc it is very easy to edit -even to frame by frame if needed.
    David

11. keyap

keyap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To do a bit of basic editing, without the need to buy any software (assuming you have DVD burinig software on your PC) you could try this.

Connect the camcorder to the DVD recorder. Record to a DVD-R disc using the maximum quality which will allow your recording to fill the disc.

Transfer the files to your PC using DVDFab HD Decrypter (free if you are transfering whole disc). Use VobBlanker (free) to cut out any bits you don't want (will edit VOB files and does not re-encode). Burn the resulting files back to a DVD disc. No re-authoring required.