1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVHS or SVIDEO

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tezdread, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

might be a dumb question, but is there a difference between an SVHS connector and a SVIDEO connector?

The sites I've looked on either sell one or the other so is it just a naming convention thing going on?

The reason I ask is because I bought a SCART - SVHS + 2 Phono's, with a IN / OUT switch from Maplins to plug my Sky digi box into my DVCII capture card but can't get a video signal?

The capture card has a S-Video Input but the cable says its SVHS input so wasn't sure it was the right one, although the pins etc are exactly the same...

If they are the same thing could you point me in the right direction of a decent SCART - SVIDEO + 2x Phono leads (preferably without the switch as the signal is only going from the SCART to SVIDEO)

Cheers

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If I was being pedantic then I would tell you that there is no such thing as an S-VHS lead. But as I'm not, I wont! :devil:

In the real world they are both exactly the same thing, but technically the S-VHS is a video standard, like VHS, and not the connection. S-Video is the connection type used by an S-VHS video recorder.

The problem you are having with your cable could well be down to the fact that most Sky boxes do not have an S-Video output, even via scart. AFAIK the only Sky boxes that do have S-Video out are Sky+, but there could be others. If this is the problem though you would still be able to get sound & a B&W picture, unless the box is set to output RGB and you are connecting the lead to the main TV out scart on the Sky box.

Mark.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Tezdread

SVHS - is a video recording format based on the VHS system.

S-Video - is a type of video signal and is the next step up in the video quality ladder over Composite video.

As you say these two abbreviations are often misused.

If you have a SKY Digibox it does NOT have the option of S-Video out via its SCART socket - whilst SCART sockets can work with an S-Video signal its down to the source device to actually provide an S-Video signal.

A SKY Digibox has RGB or Composite video out via its SCART socket - where you require an S-Video signal we normally supply a JS Technology RGB2S-Video converter that lives between your SKY Digibox and your PC card.

Best regards

Joe

4. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit confused !

On the back of my Grundig Sky box I have 2 SCART out puts.

1 to the TV
    1 to the VHS Recorder

It's the VHS recorder one I use for the PC (if it works)

Everything I've seen suggested I could simply connect the sky box to the s-video input on the capture card and by using PVR+ & Digiguide I could schedule Sky recordings.

Could it be that the SCART on the box is knackered? Is there an easy way to test? (I don't own a vid recorder)

If I buy an RGB - SCART converter and it doesn't work with my setup can I get my money back?

Thanks...

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Tezdread

Unless your Grundig box specifies S-Video out via SCART it will be Composite or RGB only; have a look in your user manual or use the on-screen set-up menus via your TV to confirm what options are available to you.

Assuming it is RGB or Composite and your capture card is S-Video then I'm sure you can find a dealer that will offer you sale or return on a JS Technology RGB2S-Video converter.

Best regards

Joe

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    The Grundig will only do 'SVHS' out via a 4-pin mini DIN socket (if it has one). Oh, and I try and call s-video "svhs" as often as possible to wind up the pedants :)

Mike.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Flimber

And I call my mate Mike - Mikey :D (drives him nuts).

Joe

8. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flimber, I had a look at the box and these are all the I/O's (no 4 pin i/o)

L + R Audio
    VCR SCART
    TV SCART
    RF Out-2 (9vDC 50 mA max)
    RF Out-1
    Arial In
    Telephone Line
    RS 232 (9 pin)
    Dish Input

Jo, I guess the box came with a manual but locating it is dependent on organisational skills, which is not my strong point...I also guess that in order to know how to access the on-screen setup I'd need the manual :oops:

Looking at the above, what are the RS 232 & RF Out-2 used for? and when would you use the dish input?

9. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure if it makes any difference but when i say Sky, it's actually NTL Home...

10. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah well, got it all sorted now. I bought a SCART to 2 phono and one composite. The picture's not the greatest, so I might look into getting an RGB2SVIDEO at some point but for now it's fine and now I can time recordings with a click of a button I'm well happy...