1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVHS and S-video

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by didgit, Feb 15, 2004.

1. didgit

didgit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can someone explain to me the different between SVHS and S-video cable - on beginner's language please ?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That's simple as the two are nothing to do with each other and there is no such thing as an SVHS cable.

SVHS is a hiband VHS system which is superior to standard VHS whilst s-video is one method of outputting video signals along with Component, RGB and Component Video.

Confusion seems to arise with the terminology and many people say SVHS when they really mean s-video.

Much more in depth explanations are possible but you did ask for beginner's language ;)

3. didgit

didgit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes - I have looked at the Ebay ad and it definately sayd SVHS to Scart on the box but having checked the website of ixos.co.uk they don't classify anything that way as it is s-video to scart there.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the other confusion comes from the fact that most SVHS video recorders have an s-video output unlike standard VHS ones.
    (I think I got that the right way round)