1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVGA - is the loss of resolution by the anamorphic DVDs really so big?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by talkron, Feb 6, 2001.

1. talkron

talkron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I talked about this with more owners of SVGA projectors and nobady had feeling missing something in the picture compared with the same DVDs on classic television . What you thoughts?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As a new potential projector owner I have been asking exactly this question as most of my software is ws. The answer that I get back form a variety of sources is basically don’t get too hung up on the numbers re resolution. Often the quality of the de-interlacer (if present) and the scaler are more important for a quality image. I have certainly noticed this with Plasma displays as well. The new generation Panasonic completely outperforming every other model in the market despite its more limited resolution compared with current standards. With CRT there is not an issue. LCD only has a single ws projector (with its documented problems and advantages) and front projection DMD will not get ws panels until late on this year (might not get them then!) as Texas is not releasing them to front projector manufacturers at this stage. America RPTV (expensive) are soaking up the ws panels so for most of us it largely academic! It is a shame as my gut hunch tells me that ws panel based projectors (whether LCD, DMD or another technology) are the way to go but I think I will end up with SVGA panel like everyone else (sorry Sony owners).

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I will find more out about this new projector but I am not sure I need any more resolution (or light?). I am only after a 5 foot screen at this stage. I will treat myself to the ws panel DMD projector, 1000:1 contrast, 1200 ANSI lumens, when it reaches sub £1k!!I think the electronic are very important and will be guided by experienced suppliers and demonstrations. This I will do over the next few months. If we were all after resolution we would buy CRTs and then Sony ws LCD projectors but neither are complete solutions. There is more to this picture lark than just resolution. High contrast is I think more important to me, and light levels to many others. The best image (from a panel based projector) I have seen so far is a SVGA processor! Experrience dealer seem to be able to get that extra something out of projectors. More is always nicers though... but the extra money, you have to draw the line somewhere. The Sanyo 30 may be just right. This would be brilliant if so, as it cheap for a projector but experience has taught me in the past I always end up spending more money!

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had the chance to play Criterion's Armageddon on HC Dude's Barco 7 Series CRT. This is non-Anamorphic and was bought because I wanted all the extras and the directors cut.

I must say I have *NEVER* seen Armageddon look so good. It was running via a HTPC and so HC Dude could comment on the actual Scaling.

In fact it was one of the many demos he did that convinced me that a Projector is the way to go.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

5. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Jenz.
    A comment I made a while ago was that with a HCPC, it made little difference whether the picture is anamorphic or not since picture was so good with either.
    Not everyone took me seriously. Jenz for one now appreciates what I was saying.
    A HCPC (running software such as Power DVD or Win DVD, or in my case an MPACT DiVA card) scaling the DVD picture up to 800x600 for viewing with the 7" lenses of the Barco Cine 7 does a very cinematic job.

6. talkron

talkron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Nic , i think seriously about buyng the sanyo vlp 30(first good projector for my in the category:acceptable price), but a XGA version of this projector(PLC XV 10) is coming , clear is it wil cost much more...this is why a ask, is the difference worth more money?