1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD Playback Philips 958/957

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cshw, Jan 7, 2002.

1. cshw

cshw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Until the DVD recording formats have sorted themselves out I an looking to buy a new DVD player capable of SVCD playback on CD-R for my DV recordings.

I think the one for me is the Philips 958 or 957

Could any owners of the 2 machines give me some feedback on their performance as I cannot find any reviews.

What is the difference between the 958 and 957 - the specs look the same to me?

Thanks for your help

cshw

2. jasper catt

jasper catt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main difference is that the 958 is in a "cool green" colour. The 957 is silver. Performance will be exactly the same. The 957 was available for around £249 or less.
    What video did a test a few months ago and gave the 957 9/10.
    I'm very happy with both the picture and sound quality of the 957.I haven't messed around with any of the set ups available. The machine is quiet in operation with no nasty drive noises !
    Multiregion is via the handset and a oneforall remote. I have only tried VCD ,DVD and CD with the machine and have been very pleased with the results.The only DVD that gives problems is Blade ( Philips is aware of this issue).

Hope this helps

Jasp

3. cshw

cshw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Stan