1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sutiable setup for satellite Internet and TV reception (UK)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by swin70, Apr 3, 2004.

1. swin70

Dec 21, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi all,

This is a little more complicated that just "What card do I need", it's more about "I don't understand any of this.....HEEEEELLLLP!

I am looking for a suitable complete setup to enable a 1-way satellite Internet link and TV reception set in the UK. We currently have no satellite dish installed but may look at getting Sky Digital. We are looking to do this on a tight budget and ADSL is NOT an option (neither is 2-way satellite )

So the first question is - Can we use the same dish to receive Sky Digital AND be used by the PC for Internet/TV reception. I am clueless on what satellites are up there, where they are, what they do what area they cover and what they provide!

I know that digital satellite TV cards CANNOT be used to get Sky on the PC (shame) but will they pick up other channels AND still have the ability to what Sky via a normal digibox?

The second question is then, what other satellites are up there (that cover the UK, Wales specifically) and what can they provide? What data services are available and what TV channels can be captured at the same time?

The third and final question is then, what actual card and satellite dish is the best for such an application?

Many thanks for you time in looking at this and answering if possible.