1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Susue Linux and Multimedia

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by salesbloke, Jul 22, 2005.

1. salesbloke

salesbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Team

I wanted to announce my new website on all things multimedia for SUSE Linux including:

http://www.acaciaclose.co.uk

Let me have feedback and how i can improve

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Your site looks really great and very useful to people like me who've dabbled in Suse. I have a Suse 9.1 file server that works great.

I've been meaning to have a play with Myth TV etc. and have a spare computer here that already has 9.1 on it. Is it complex to upgrade to 9.3? Or should I do a fresh install do you reckon?

Cheers,

Mark.

3. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Seems you have gated it by a .swf (flash).
    As these have a troubled history I have them blocked in my proxies and in my web browsers. Both on my XP and on my SUSE pro 9.2 system.
    Shame as I wanted to have a pound around your site.
    .swf files aren't part of the Web standard AFAIK so may I suggest a change in that regard ? please ?

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    belay that I just jumped straight to index2.html...

arrgh....

5. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have recently installed (dual boot for now) SuSE 9.3 on my study PC and am currently familiarising myself with it, so that I can boot Windows into the trash can.

I thought that I would have to live with WinXP/MCE on my HTPC for a lot longer. But your site has encouraged me to start thinking about giving windows the old heave-ho here too.

As I read somewhere on the net recently:

"In a world without fences and walls, who needs gates and windows." :smashin:

6. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark,

Glad to see your fileserver's still going strong. :)

I tried upgrading SUSE once a few years ago and it didn't go smoothly. I spent longer trying to fix the upgraded system than it would have taken to do a fresh reinstall. Hence I always do a new install, things could be smoother nowadays though. I backup up the /etc directory and install to a new partition so that if I get any problems I can always boot back into the old isntallation. My /home directory is on a seperate partition so the new install can mount it and access all my saved data.

The big benefit of always doing a new install is that (disc space permitting) you can leave your old install untouched.

Higgers.

7. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    try a knoppmyth install on a partition (marriage of knoppix and mythTV).
    for a dedicated player it ain't bad. Suse seems much better nowadays - its just that NVIDIA driver install that plagued/s/ it..
    If you have a second hard drive Linux distros can be booted and run from there so it gives a good playpen of you have a biggish second 'un.

8. salesbloke

salesbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would suggest a new build, as you probably want to change some of your disk layout etc, and get yourself out of dependancy hell, which many users have complained about with previous versions of suse. 9.3 is very good indeed, but has some small irritations, which I have tried to cover off on the site a I find them.

Mike C
    http://www.acaciaclose.co.uk