1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspiria??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tee, Jul 16, 2001.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Following the recent anouncment that Anchor Bay will be releasing a 3-disc DTS special edtion of Suspiria, I was wondering - what is the film actually like? I'm a fan of horror but am not quite as diverse as some of you.... (I own Halloween, Manhunter, the Evil Deads, Hellraiser etc..... etc....)

What can I expect? Is it worth taking a gamble on?

Cheers.....

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Tee,

You'll either love it or hate it! With Dario Argento, he's one of these directors that people fall immediately in love with, or just think his material is total pap.

Personally, I think he's great! "Suspiria" is one of the classic horror movies of the 1970's, and if you had to own one of Argento's films, then it should be either "Suspiria" or "Deep Red" (also on Anchor Bay), as these are most of his fan's favourites.

Pooch

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    I fall into the heathen-like "total pap" camp. Well, not exactly total pap, but I think he's vastly overrated. Tee, if you like very stylised stuff then it may just be your cup of tea. Personally I prefer Stendahl Syndrome and Phenomena, Suspiria spends a very long time sort of floundering in its own self importance after the initial murder at the beginning and doesn't do a great deal else until the end of the film, some 2 hours later. I didn't get the atmosphere at all, the music is really in your face, which if you can't stand the music isn't a good thing, but I do keep going back to it to see what exactly I may have missed and I'm convinced that it's down to me just not liking Argento's style. The guy can't shoot anything without a nasty coloured filter.

Like Pooch says, Argento is a love-hate kinda guy, and my displeasure at most of his films gets me no end of abuse from Argentophiles....but I still go on smiling

:D

4. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0