Suspiria Remake (16 November 2018)

The music is not nonsensical
I never said it was. Re-read the sentence. The music is misused, as I've repeatedly said, the film itself is often nonsensical in terms of plot.

I can only assume that it's not the music you are having a problem
You do love to assume things.

I'd rather you just say "I don't like SUSPIRIA" or "I don't think SUSPIRIA is a very good film, because it's not scary or horrific"
I don't really know why you want me to say something at odds with what I've said previously on more than one occasion. Here's another time. It's an okay film, nothing more, nothing less.

than try to parlay your reasoning off
You know, Pooch, for a would-be journalist your use of English is quite bizarre at times.

would at least be humanly reasonable.
"Humanly reasonable" - what on earth is that supposed to mean, especially in this context?

Or, what about James Horner's score for TITANIC? Would you say his music similarly lead you up the garden path, bearing in mind the ship sinks at the end? Was that a surprise for you, also?!
Your logic is as bad as your English. Why would Titanic's score, which doesn't keep raising to false crescendos have anything to do with anything?

Then again, having seen your levels of competence with English and simple logic, I guess I should've expected your honesty to be a par. Remember this little declaration of yours: "But, if you still honestly believe that SUSPIRIA does 'lead you up the garden path', then I'll let this debate fade away". Just couldn't do it could you?

Regards

Mark

Is Pooch wanting to be a journalist, then? Oh-ho, now that is funny.

Cast Update

Suspiria finds it's lead with 15-year-old Isabelle Fuhrman (Orphan, The Hunger Games). 1977 original star Jessica Harper was 28 when she took on role.

Last edited:
Is Pooch wanting to be a journalist, then? Oh-ho, now that is funny.

Umm, Pooch IS a journalist (of sorts) - see my work at "cinema-extreme DOT blogspot DOT com" for articles I have written! ;) I think you may find that I have the last laugh. :hiya:

Pooch

I've had articles published in both English and American computer magazines but I'm pretty sure I'm not a journalist.

Regards

Mark

Cast Update #2

Yesterday Isabelle Fuhrman (Orphan, The Hunger Games) had been cast in the lead role.

More names added;

- Isabelle Huppert (The Piano Teacher, I Heart Huckabees)

- Janet McTeer (Albert Nobbs; The Woman in Black)

- Michael Nyqvist (MI:4 Ghost Protocol; Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

- Antje Traue (Superman: Man of Steel)

"I Am Love" and "A Bigger Splash" director Luca Guadagnino declared he would be directing;
“I’m going to direct a remake of Dario Argento’s Suspiria. I’m going to shoot the movie this winter. I think my friends at StudioCanal will be part of it.”

Didn't Chloe Grace Moretz say the other week she was taking a break from acting or am I thinking of someone else?

She binned all projects she was attached to. But it wasn't for a break, I remember reading she less than happy with the choices she'd been making and the way her career was headed so she just scraped everything.
Only to decide to appear in a horror remake...

She binned all projects she was attached to. But it wasn't for a break, I remember reading she less than happy with the choices she'd been making and the way her career was headed so she just scraped everything.
Only to decide to appear in a horror remake...

...again

She's gone from "hitgirl" to "horror remake girl."

Original Suspiria is being re-released in 4K in Italy, starting next January for a couple of days. There's a short new trailer for the restored version to watch below

Singer/songwriter Thom Yorke, of Radiohead, will compose the score for Luca Guadagnino’s remake of Dario Argento’s Suspiria. This marks the musician’s first time scoring a feature film.

Suspiria Music Supervisor Robin Urdang played a key role in negotiating the deal to secure Yorke’s involvement.

Says Luca Guadgnino;
“Thom’s art transcends the contemporary. To have the privilege of his music and sound for Suspiria is a dream come true. The depth of his creation and artistic vision is so unique that our Suspiria will sound groundbreaking and will deeply resonate with viewers. Our goal is to make a movie that will be a disturbing and transforming experience: for this ambition, we could not find a better partner than Thom.”

Producers Marco Morabito and Brad Fischer added;
“Thom Yorke has composed and performed some of the most iconic and transformative music in modern culture. To have him lend his talent to Suspiria is an extraordinary gift, both to us as filmmakers and to audiences, who have a remarkable, terrifying and emotionally stirring experience in store for them.”

I'm not a fan of Radiohead so I don't really know what to think about this news. Then again, I don't always like all of Goblin's film scores, they just seemed to hit the perfect note, so to speak, with their music for Suspiria.
As long as the new score fits with the new film I'll be ok with that.
I'm not opposed to this remake, the original film's regarded as a classic but it's not one I've ever had a lot of love for, myself. There seem to be more misfires than hits, for me, with horror remakes and reboots but I don't see a reason why this can't end up being, at least, a watchable horror film. They're not that hard to make

A complete, undamaged 35mm print of Argento's Italian cut of SUSPIRIA has been found & is coming to theaters

Suspiria that was recently screened for the Amazon, runs a whopping 2 hours, 50 minutes long! Additionally, the site notes that Amazon plans on self-distributing the film.

The site adds that the movie features “an almost all-woman cast,” with a “show stopping nude scene with women of all shapes and sizes.”

Director Luca Guadagnino says his film is not a remake:

“I have three months until I finish it. It’s a very special film, and I’m proud of it,” he told the site. “I wonder all the time how people will react to it, being that it is based on a masterpiece. I often find myself in the position of saying ‘Oh, it’s ridiculous!’ when I hear stories that they want to remake a movie like 8½, so I don’t know if I’m going to be served the same dish. But I can say that my Suspiria is a very personal film; it’s like oxygen to me. When I saw the original movie thirty-two years ago, the emotion I felt was so strong, so mind-blowing, and so important to my upbringing. I wanted to investigate the experience I had watching that film.”

“It’s inspired by the same story, but it goes in different directions, it explores other reasons,” Guadagino recently told Allocine. “Its semantics, of course, but I think people really have to understand that this is not a remake, because the word “remake” gives the impression that we want to erase the original, and the opposite is what we tried to do.”

The cast includes Dakota Johnson, Chloe Grace-Moretz, Tilda Swinton, Mia Goth, Sylvie Testud, Angela Winkler, Małgosia Bela, Lutz Ebersdorf and Jessica Harper.

Love My Way: A Conversation with Luca Guadagnino - From the Current - The Criterion Collection

Reportedly Dakota Johnson needed therapy!, after working on Suspiria, citing its intensity. Not the first time Gobling's has been involved in her acting career :D

Reactions to footage shown at CinemaCon

Discretion Advised

Amy Kaufman:
“Ummm I am traumatized after seeing a scene from “Suspiria” in which Dakota Johnson controls the body of another woman as she dances. The woman’s body literally cracks in half. She is like, torn apart. Spitting, urinating, bleeding. It’s… A lot.”

Peter Sciretta:
“First clip from Suspiria invokes a dancer being thrown around like a rag doll telekinetically in a mirrored rehearsal space, bones breaking, becoming a contorted mess. Very gruesome and hard to watch. This film will make most people feel uneasy.”

Fandango:
“Luca Guadagnino presented a scene from his Suspiria remake; there’s a 70s sepia tone … and seriously some of the most disturbing body horror. They went for it and the CinemaCon audience is gasping. Just brutal but with a gentle melody. Holy crap… call me by your bent body.”

teaser poster art

DbvSEKXUQAAbGzU.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom