Suspended floor gives flabby bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tryingtimes, Apr 20, 2001.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hi Guys
    I have a Rel Strata 2 at the back of my room (behind the sofa) and since moving to a house with a really springy suspended wooden floor the bass is really flabby.

As soon as I put the volume up it just overpowers everything in the room.

I don't really have any choice about positioning but I would like to know if there is anything I could do.

Someone suggested putting it on a marble slab. Someone else a concrete one. Is mass loading the way to go?

Anything else I can do?

Cheers
    Alex

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I would argue that putting the sub behind you is the very 'worst' place you could put it.
    Give it a bigger priority and place it elsewhere! I know it's easier said than done, but I would.
    Your sub has a downward firing woofer I believe? If so, you can only decouple it from the floor as suggested, on a slab etc. A much more pricey option but has better results would be the Mana tier route.
    How about some inventive DIY? Can you build a stand for your sub, filing the cavity with sand for instance?
    Or to be bold, lay the sub on it's side firing against a wall??????????

[ 20-04-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with GS, not a good idea to place sub behind you, but if you you have no other option then something like a paving slab (not very pretty) or a slab of marble. Whatever you choose hope it works for you.

Good luck

Tom

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with an REL 100E. A 99p paving slab solved the problem. I painted the slab the same colour as the skirting boards (dark red) which sorted out the appearence and put felt pads on the underside to prevent marking the laminate floor.