Survey says 8% of 360 owners intend to buy Natal (even lower for PS3 owners and Move)

DJSigma

Banned
Sony's PlayStation Move and Xbox 360's Project Natal motion control solutions have been garnering a lot of the spotlight from core gamers and the press, but a new study reflects currently low purchase intent for the new devices.

Research firm OTX's U.S. tracking study GamePlan Insights polled a group of 2,000 gamers between May 23 and June 5, 2010, and found that 8 percent of the Xbox 360 market intends to buy Natal, and 6 percent of the PlayStation 3 market intends to purchase Move.

Of the people that are already planning on buying Natal and Move, 25 percent plan to preorder the controllers.

The low purchase intent figures reflect the current lack of information about compatible games for the devices. Microsoft and Sony are expected to reveal more motion-compatible games at next week's E3 event in L.A., where the controllers will be a central attraction, after which purchase intent may rise.

The GamePlan Insights study also said that 15 percent of the Xbox 360 market is aware of Natal, while the same percentage of the PS3 market is aware of the Move.

The study showed that Natal intenders have an average age of 25, versus 28 for the Move. Also, 30 percent of Move intenders are female, compared to 20 percent for Natal.
More info HERE.

At first glance, this seems quite bad, but then it does say that only 15% of the 360/PS3 market are aware of Natal and Move, while 8% and 6% of the total market plan to buy them, which means that of those that are aware of Natal, over 50% plan to buy it. Thoughts?

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Poll may have been good here to see what we all think, will see how things go with it but for now have no intention of buying Natal at Launch.

kopchoir

Banned
I'll be buying it but IMO Sony advertising is naff for the ps3 wait till the adverts a wii like wand vs your whole body only 1 winner

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Thats actually a great shout. A poll here would make interesting reading. DJ I can get a super to add the poll but they are often busy with other bits and bobs. If you fancy re-doing this thread with a poll I can either DEL this one or merge with the new one. Up to you.

EDIT: The same poll in the PS3 forum relevant to the Move too.

DJSigma

Banned
Perhaps do a poll in the general gaming forum, then you can add Move, Natal and Move + Natal options for those that own both consoles. It would be interesting to do one now, then do another one after E3, as we know more about Move than Natal at the moment, but there's going to be a lot more info at E3 including the pricing.

AudioSlim

You should 'massage' statistics for the government, but considering there are two of their 'great' xbox live cams in draw on my house they need to back it up with something worthwhile and not a game control system where I pine for a controller as per the Wii.

Slim

DJSigma

Banned
There's more like 40,000,000 Xboxs out there.

I guess I just find the stats hard to believe. Only 15% know about Natal, so assuming the whole 2,000 surveyed own a 360, that's 300 people. 8% of the 2,000 plan to buy it, which is 160 out of the 300 that know about it. That just seems way too high given what it is and how much of an unknown it is at this point. I'm certainly no expert in predicting market trends though, or I'd have made millions on the stock market by now. lol.

Rorifett

There's more like 40,000,000 Xboxs out there.
Maybe 40mil sold but how many of them are still working? :D Even then, I know myself that I've bought 2 xboxes, one of my mates has bought about 5 at my last count (don't ask why, I've no idea!)

I would like to see a poll on this, just to guage the AVF community's response to this sort of thing, I know myself I've absolutely no interest in this unless it's an integrate part controller/part non-controller usage within games. Someone suggested (can't remember who sadly) on here that it would work well in Bioshock for instance where you can catch an enemy's spell and fire it back at them by raising your plasmid hand and acting out that scene - that sounds like it could be pretty cool, but would obviously put you at a disadvantage in MP if your hand is off the controller. I hate the idea of 'driving' with my hands whackling around, suppose a first-person RPG might work with a shield block/sword swing but I dunno, I don't see how this is really anything other than a gimmick, will wait and see how things pan out.

Also don't like the idea of the xbox deciding to turn itself on because it 'recognises' me coming in the room as I vaguely remember reading that it might attempt to do!

m1ket

MS would be over the moon if 4m people are interested in natal even before theve launched it with its real name

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Perhaps do a poll in the general gaming forum, then you can add Move, Natal and Move + Natal options for those that own both consoles. It would be interesting to do one now, then do another one after E3, as we know more about Move than Natal at the moment, but there's going to be a lot more info at E3 including the pricing.
:laugh: I think you overestimate the traffic GG gets.

DJSigma

Banned
lol, I did think that when I wrote it. It's a shame you can't start a thread that appears in both forums at the same time. I'll start a thread in each, then you can merge the Natal one with this thread or whatever.

EDIT - Done. The 2 threads/polls are identical apart from the words "Move" and "Natal".

I think in the interest of fairness, it would be better to leave both poll threads as they are, rather than merging the Natal one with this thread, as the thread title may attract more voters (or put them off) and I think having the threads as alike as they can be gives us the best opportunity to gauge AVF members' interest in them.

Last edited:

ilowman

Novice Member
I wouldn't expect a large percentage of the existing 360/PS3 owners to want motion control anyway. The whole idea of Natal especially seems to be to capture a bit of the market the Wii has with people who wouldn't normally be interested in gaming.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
As one of the major 'Fanboy' arguments in favour of the 360 is it's 'superior' controller, it doesn't seem likely many would trade that for semaphore.

I am not claiming the 360 controller is 'superior', I am merely noting this argument is often used by 'Fanboys'.

DJSigma

Banned
Another survey from Nielsen this time: -

Nielsen Games said this week that in a survey of "over 2400 active gamers", just 21 per cent were aware of Natal and 23 per cent of Move. Of those, 35 per cent were up for buying Natal and 28 percent Move.

The numbers increase to 39 per cent awareness of Natal among 360 gamers and 42 per cent awareness of Move among PS3 gamers, with corresponding increases in purchase intent - to 42 per cent and 41 per cent respectively.

Nielsen also said the majority of gamers polled expect Natal and Move to cost between $25 and $75, although a smaller but still significant percentage expect them to cost north of $100.
Awareness of Natal and Move very low News - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

$25-$75? I think some people are gonna be seriously disappointed if they expect either Natal or Move to be near 25 bucks!

oasismark

Distinguished Member
How stupid to do a poll when we dont even know what Natal (Kinect) is yet!!!!

Its like asking , would you buy something you dont know much about yet?

Idiots

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom