Survey..........DVD extra's..whats your opinion.

paulr

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Myself......i arent that interested in them.To me its just a cheap way to increase the cost of a DVD.What do you think?

Like them on 2-disc sets, often out-takes are a real chore to get through, but like other aspects.
Prefer film to be presented with best possible PQ / sound, extras on second disc.

I think the DVDs would cost the same, whether the extras were there or not. They're priced at whatever the market will bear. Having the extras helps to justify the cost though. An exception are Criterion disks and the like. Here, the notion of a "luxury" product has been created and it's here that you find prices above the average.

Regarding what I'm interested in, I like seeing deleted scenes and alternate endings. Only for one or two movies have I listened to the commentary tracks. Cast and crew info is sometimes interesting for checking out other films by the same director or other films starring the same actor. I really don't like "making of" featurettes though - they don't interest me and, worse still, tend to ruin the magic in my own mind.

I would probably listen to the directors commentary on my favourite 20 or 30 films. I would also be interested in deleted scenes from these films.

As for anything else, I dont really have the time or inclination.

I suppose it is quite nice to know they are there, if you want them.

Only extras I have enjoyed were on The Dish. If there was more historical stuff, like that it would be interesting. Otherwise give me best poss sound and vision.

I think that most of the extras are just a waste of space. The only one that I really liked was the THX optimiser on T2 and some others.

I watch that quite a lot and never tire of playing the frequency sweep to check that my speakers are setup correctly

Some "making of" extras are pretty good and deleted and out-takes too.

commentaries and making of... features are my favs. I don't usually like deleted scenes (mainly because they are unfinished ****e with no score or effects) however having said that the deleted scenes on Unbreakable were cracking stuff!

Originally posted by James45
cracking stuff!
A good way to describe them given that the movie was Unbreakable and given the content of one of those deleted scenes :D (ouch! :()

I like making of features if there well made and more than just glorified trailers, they never spoil the magic for me. Commentary’s are nearly always good and offer some real insight into what the director wanted to get from the film and what they would have liked to do if allowed by the budget or the studio allowed. Shame there aren't that many gag reels about.

Commentaries and Deleted scenes for me are a must (on my fave movies) and the original trailers and the like are great too to give a rounded package of the movie. Cast and crew info for my money is a waste of space.

In an ideal world all DVD's would be two or more disks inorder for audio/visual quality to be optimised along with the inclusion of extras.

The commentary by Jim Lovell and his wife on the Apollo 13 movie is a fantastic example of how extras can truely 'round out' a movie.

I think different people requirements in a DVD vary, for me: I want the DVD's I buy to be the best picture/sound quality possible along with the most interesting background/info for the movie, a'la a mini haliwells encyclopedia of the movie.

Regards

I have over 200 DVD`s not sure how many have commentary`s but Ive only ever watched three of them.

Special Features are far less important then sound and picture quality but that said most of us would buy a superior disc at a superior price, given the choice i will pay an extra few quid for a second special features disk.

How many of us have bought Lord of the rings and will buy one of the superior releases later on in the year? I know i will

Originally posted by stealther

How many of us have bought Lord of the rings and will buy one of the superior releases later on in the year? I know i will

How many of us will flog our 2 disk versions in October ready for the 4 disk version in November.... I know I will.

Regards

gimme a superbit disc anyday! great picture and great sound, what more could you need? i very rarley watch any of the extras, unless there are gag reels and alternative endings. given the choice, i would sacrifice the extras for a better pic and sound.

I'm still waiting and hoping "The Game" and "The Truman Show" will come out as a special edition with directors commantary. "The Game" had Director's Commantary on the laser disc version, so any future versions on DVD will hopefully have that as a transfer should be quite easy.

After watching the trailer for "The Truman Show" alot of the footage wasn't in the final film, so there should be plenty of deleted scenes available that I would love to see...

I like extras. A good film just doesn't feel complete on dvd without a couple of extra little things to entertain you next time you have half an hour to spare. As a student I can't afford to have several dvds on order at a time, so i like to get the most out of every film i do get. Commentaries, featurettes, original trailers, interviews behind the scenes gossip, deleted scenes, alternate endings... love em.

Of course there are plenty of extras which are plainly just a waste of time.
Cast and crew bio's and filmography are pointless- IMDB handles that very nicely thank you very much- besides, information is out of date on the dvd within a month of purchase.
Web content/links/pretty much any PC content- ****e. Always utterly unusable. I don't know who they get to design these bits but i can't stand them. Why do i get prompted to install interactual player every time i watch that dvd on my computer? Damned thing...
Stills galleries/text content- can't see who on earth would want to look through them on their telly, the 50hz flicker gives you a headache after 10 minutes. Put it on a website for the people that want it!

A couple of dvds that wouldn't be the same for me without their extras;

This Is Spinal Tap- Marvellous. So much extra material, and brilliant in character commentary track.

Predator Special Edition- Great stories from behind the scenes. Good to watch with the lads after the pub.

Conan Special Edition- Absolutely hilarious audio commentary. Arn is ****ed as a newt, John Milius stoned. Count how many times arnie says "Exactly". And count how many times john says "look at her she is so beautiful...."

Originally posted by Nick23
After watching the trailer for "The Truman Show" alot of the footage wasn't in the final film, so there should be plenty of deleted scenes available that I would love to see...
I'd prefer an alternate ending.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Like i said,extra's dont really interest me,and especially those which show you the tricks of the film.

"You mean Leo cant really dodge bullets"...Doh!!!

;)

What i'd prefer is two versions of films.One the basic film only,and two with the extra's on a seperate disc.
Not sure if this will happen though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom