Question Surrounds - which is the best compromise?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nheather, Jun 20, 2015.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,492
    I am doing a garage conversion and the TV is located in the corner of a 5m x 5m room.

I'm stuck with this placement because HT is only a secondary consideration for the room.

So the most balanced layout would be like this.

image.jpg
    It is long and narrow, left to right is about 2m and front to back is about 5m. The sofa would be positioned closer to TV than in this diagram.

Whilst this is neat and tidy, it puts the surrounds in a position more suited to the rears in a 7.2 system, rather than the proper to the side and slightly behind.

There is a wall immediately to the left but the right hand wall is about 3m to the right of this picture.

So if I were to put the surrounds to the sides then the left one would be about 1.5m from viewing position and the right would be about 3.5m from the viewing position.

Would this be better and would it work. I only plan to use small speakers like tannoy TFX or Wharfdale DX1.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,833
    Which amp have you got? If you have one with a setup mic it will make the adjustments accordingly in setup so it won't be a problem.

3. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    In 5.1, isn't is better to have the surrounds to your side, rather than behind (that's what rears are for).

??

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,105
    No, if you are only running 5.1 then the recommendation is to have the surround speakers behind. In a 7.1 set up then the side surrounds are put each side of the MLP and the surround backs go behind.

However, like most of us a compromise is required: I think putting the surrounds at the back equally spaced would give a better result (for more seats) than having one speaker twice as far away as the other. Granted the amp should correct for the distance/delay (though some might only have a single delay setting for the pair) and for the SPL level, but in practice I think you'll tend to notice the nearest one producing the most sound.

Perhaps some tripole/dipole surround speakers might help throw the sound around a bit more. I use M&K tripoles myself in both my setups and find that even the smaller K4 do a good job at spreading the sound out around the room even though they aren't ideally located in my conservatory set up.

5. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,105
  7. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    Sorry, I thought you meant centrally behind, where the rears would normally go. As in somewhere opposite the center speaker depicted in the bottom image on that link :smashin: