surrounds to match MA CPW golds

fyonn

hey all,

I'm looking at putting a set of Monitor Audio CPW Gold in wall's up front. I think they are from the GR series as the baffles match. Anyway I'm now thinking about getting a pair of surrounds which will go well with the golds up front for a 5.1 system.

the obvious ones would be a set of GRFX's but there aren't too many floating around, so I was wondering if the silver's or the bronzes would also match well?

It's not a big room and there's no room for sides (window on one side, open space on the other) so the speakers would have to be on the back wall. the seats are nearly against the back wall, hence my thinking about bi-poles so there's some side-firing action going on.

so maybe the older bronze/silver FX's would work well? or perhaps the newer ones would match better?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers
david

fyonn

Anyone got any thoughts?

David

fyonn

Anyone know if Monitor Audio RSFX's or RXFX's would be a good match for the in wall gold's?

David

fyonn

okay, so the misses has indicated that she'd prefer the surround speakers in white which limits things somewhat so I was considering my options.

in the MA camp, the obvious choice is the white RXFX which I'll just assume will be relatively close in match as no-one seems to have an opinion (I think my MA in wall golds are very similar to the GR10's). those would be an ideal choice but they hardly ever seem to appear for sale second hand and new is a little more than I really wanted to pay.

so I wanted to get opinion on other decent choices that wouldn't be too far removed in quality.

older MA sf's were available in white I believe?
perhaps some M&K tripoles? they were available in white weren't they? rare I know but possible.

alternatively maybe a monopole like a pair of focal dome's? they're wall-mountable out of the box, some in white and could be pointed down.

are those options good? anything else I should look at as well?

cheers
dave

PSM1

Distinguished Member
It is less important to match the rears to the fronts so the RXFXs or similar would be fine. Considering your room layout I would stick to your first thoughts of bipole or tripole speakers instead of conventional direct firing speakers.

leo79

How about bronze ceiling speakers, i had these with gold in walls and worked very well. They can be had at decent prices on ebay.
Cheers
Leo

fyonn

I have been on the lookout on ebay for MA in-ceiling's recently but not too much is showing. I was also wondering how well the radius range match up as you can get the radii's in white.

dave

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The radius range are all direct firing speakers so may not be the best for your room layout with little room behind the viewing location.

fyonn

Well, I was potentially thinking of the radius as they come in white and could maybe be mounted back flat to the wall? Or higher up and pointing down maybe? Not sure, just turning over options in my mind :)

David

fyonn

fyonn

FYI, I found a pair of MA bfx's in white in the classified's here which seem ideal. Hopefully they should be here next week so I'm looking forward to giving them a go :)

dave

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom