Surrounds Placement

jamie9141

Novice Member
Hello, I am new to the world of Home Cinema and am building the following setup. The aim is 5.1 initially and potentially adding in two up firing speakers in the future for 5.1.2.

Denon AVR 2700H
Q Acoustics 3010i (front LR)
Q Acoustics 3090 (front C)
Q Acoustics 3060s (sub)

I also have two Q Acoustics 7000LRi + stands for the surrounds. However, now realising that to use the stands the sofa would need to come away from the wall too much. I bought these speakers second hand and they didn't come with wall mountable feet. Now I am second guessing my whole plan.

Can someone sanity check for me please that 5.1 is possible with this layout? And if so, any recommendations for speakers with wall mounts that allow for a near right-angle tilt? Seeing as I'll probably have to sell the Q7000* gear I have now as it seems impossible to buy replacement feet for the speakers and they don't even seem like they can rotate at the angle I need them.

I've attached a design of my space, the sofa is not quite that big in real life.

Any advice much appreciated. TV is 65 inch 4k, and the electrical wiring is in place already so TV position can't be moved. I'm planning to run speaker wire before my floor is installed this weekend.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 12.17.12.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 12.17.12.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 12.14.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 12.14.18.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

gibbsy

You've not got much scope for their placement which is not that unusual unless you have the luxury of a purpose built cinema room. Your positions look about right for them and placing them roughly where you have them should enable you to safely run the speaker wire you require.

Most of us have to live with some kind of compromise on speaker placement and I'm no exception. You could mount the speakers on the wall using brackets, there are plenty to choose from depending on how big your eventual speakers will be. If the sofa is not as big as depicted then that is going to make life somewhat easier.

As far I can see you are good to go with a 5.1.

Last edited:
Hello, I am new to the world of Home Cinema and am building the following setup. The aim is 5.1 initially and potentially adding in two up firing speakers in the future for 5.1.2.

Denon AVR 2700H
Q Acoustics 3010i (front LR)
Q Acoustics 3090 (front C)
Q Acoustics 3060s (sub)

I also have two Q Acoustics 7000LRi + stands for the surrounds. However, now realising that to use the stands the sofa would need to come away from the wall too much. I bought these speakers second hand and they didn't come with wall mountable feet. Now I am second guessing my whole plan.

Can someone sanity check for me please that 5.1 is possible with this layout? And if so, any recommendations for speakers with wall mounts that allow for a near right-angle tilt? Seeing as I'll probably have to sell the Q7000* gear I have now as it seems impossible to buy replacement feet for the speakers and they don't even seem like they can rotate at the angle I need them.

I've attached a design of my space, the sofa is not quite that big in real life.

Any advice much appreciated. TV is 65 inch 4k, and the electrical wiring is in place already so TV position can't be moved. I'm planning to run speaker wire before my floor is installed this weekend.

Thanks
Looks like a fairly typical 5.1 living room layout, mine is not fundamentally dissimilar in the I do not have room to place my surrounds behind my seating either, but they are place a bit wider apart.

If you can't find a way of wall mounting your current speakers, then any small satellite speaker within reason would be suitable, matching them with the fronts is not so important for the surrounds.

I use B&W 607s for surrounds, mine are on stands but they are certainly compact enough to wall mount and are finished in an unobtrusive matt black.

jamie9141

Novice Member
Thank you gibbsy and CaptainJames for the reassurance.

I don't think I'm going to be able to find any spare wall mounts for the Q7000LRi, so may have to sell them and buy some new ones. Or, are there any (perhaps smaller?) surround speakers you'd recommend for my setup that are in the same sort of price range? (£200 for the pair)

Thank you

gibbsy

You could take a chance on used speakers, worth having a look in our classifieds. I have fairly large standmounts (KEF R100) as surrounds and they are wall mounted using B-tech wall fixings.

jamie9141

Novice Member
Hi Gibbsy, thanks, those wall mounts look good actually, although not for the Q7000LRi I don't think. Another Idea I'd appreciate your advice on.. I actually have a spare pair of Q3010i's that I ordered off eBay and one arrived damaged. Seller promptly refunded me so I'm left with them now.

As I'm yet to receive my AVR I haven't tested them, but I assume they would still work just be rather unsightly. However, if I use them for surrounds and have them angled say 80 degrees toward MLP using the stands you suggested, the dent won't be visible. My only concern is the 3010's might look a bit too big, especially as my corner sofa will be right in the corner. I would have the speakers 2ft above ear level though... pics attached, one on chair stood back for perspective on scale and one with current sofa in situ. Will have to be careful to avoid the chasing if wall mounting!

Edit: I could also potentially mount the left surround the other side of the door and above the radiator which would mean the door would need to be closed. Not sure if it would be ok a couple of feet above the radiator though in terms of heat
TIA!

Attachments

• 64C91799-8BA8-4C7F-B2D9-62AA7717AD1A.jpeg
    64C91799-8BA8-4C7F-B2D9-62AA7717AD1A.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 454ED440-9B6A-4E6B-8E7A-709525702852.jpeg
    454ED440-9B6A-4E6B-8E7A-709525702852.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 27
  • FCEB6349-66AE-483F-9C22-E97A3D8FF395.jpeg
    FCEB6349-66AE-483F-9C22-E97A3D8FF395.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 371F62C3-4FC7-4A24-B5E0-0B068116BFF0.png
    371F62C3-4FC7-4A24-B5E0-0B068116BFF0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 678E59DD-15B8-4226-8EE7-D1C5DC0FA882.jpeg
    678E59DD-15B8-4226-8EE7-D1C5DC0FA882.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Zombie Twin

This might be a bit of a radical idea, but there is always the option of securing the rears to the ceiling and having them down-firing. Before you ask what I've been smoking, I use this method for my Atmos speakers, and I get great results as it's above the listening position. It all comes down to adjusting the delay on the rears appropriately. Oh, and making sure that you secure the speakers sturdily enough. I call it the "Damocles" method...

Please excuse the cables, as this is temporary whilst working up the enthusiasm for replacing it with trunking.

1615932586387.png

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom