1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround system cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by polyvision, Jun 26, 2004.

1. polyvision

polyvision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a sony surround system and needed to extend the cables. The standard cables are silver and have a clear jacket. What type of wire could I use to extend the cable? Would copper cable do or would it cause problems due to its resistance? Also, whats the best method to connect 2 wires?

tia

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest replacing them with longer cables rather than joining/extending.

Cable type won't make a difference & there's lots of reasonably inexpensive speaker cable around. Have a look at some of the sponsors' sites for ideas/pricing.

:smoke:

3. polyvision

polyvision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good call

but does ofc cable make a difference over standard copper cable?

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OFC (oxygen free copper) is supposedly of higher quality but with all things like this is as much a marketing tool as anything else.

Depends very much on your system but any decent quality speaker should be OK. I'm sure others will give names/prices later as I'm off out now for a drink to celebrate the departure of george w. from our shores :thumbsup:

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your Sony system is a DAV all in one I doubt whether the difference between OFC and copper cable will be audible.