1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nixon, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have a maranzt SR4300 for my amp and a pair of Celestion Ditton 44's for my lef and rights, I don't have center, or any rears. I am preferably looking for some tall rears although small ones would be fine. My center I think i'm going to hold back on for a bit because there not that important are they? My budget is around £100. this amp has 6.1 so I would have my two fronts yes, then my two backs, then my center and would I then have another speaker inbetween my two rears? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would try and save a bit longer...... in my view a centre is essential for a good system..... though some will disagree...... the soundtracks are engineered with a centre in mind so its wrong not to have one.

Ad

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if ur gonna be watching dvd's etc. then i would get a centre,as this is where most of the vocals/high end sound comes from. imo, if i were you id get left/right speakers and go for the centre, then get some rears at a later date or some cheaper ones( wallet permitting)

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    you are gonna have to save a heck of a lot to find a centre to match your ditton 44s (big mothas of speakers). First port of call would be a big old centre from ebay (old Jamo, Tannoy etc) maybe, and you should be able to find some old floorstanders from the same place for rears(Kef Codas, Tannoy 603s, Mercury M3s, Mission 702es, 733s)...

edited to add:
    theres an ex-demo JBL Centre down from £200 to £125 at www.edge-sv.co.uk which would do the job very well. They are a good shop to deal with- bought loads of stuff off them

5. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So your pretty much saying that I need to get some centers and rears to match my dittons 10 inch sub, 13" Width, 30" Height. So would I be best going for some rears at the moment or get a center OR get my rear center baring in mine my around £100 budget. I use it mainly for music but will also be using it extensivly for movies once surround is at least basic.

6. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yes we are ( i think i speak for above posters ;) ). The dittons dont' have a sub, they have a woofer, not a subwoofer. Theres a difference.
    get a centre first, as it handles 50% of the action during a movie (fronts 25%, rears 10%, rear centre 5% and sub 10% ROUGHLY) then get a set of rears, then rear centre, then a whacking great sub, to give you more punch (and yes you will need one- that sr4300 isn't exactly a powerhouse, and the ditton 44s aren't the most efficient speakers man created (or machine))

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If your sitting directly between the left and right speakers in their sweetspot you may find you system doesn't need a centre. I'd be prepared to say that centres can cause a lot of damage due to the differences they create in the front soundstage (even if they are supposed to match). However, if you've got lots of people watching or you have to sit off centre then you've not got much choice. I'd agree with Jamo and Tannoy as a good place to start and add in Paradigm.

Look to pay about £40-60 and if you really want to experiment buy several secondhand and keep the one that works best. Even if you lose money when sell them on you'll still have spent less than if you'd bought a budget centre brand new.