1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Haris Mav, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Haris Mav

Haris Mav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi friends,
    I'm about to replace my surround speakers.
    I need smaller and with small depth.
    After moving to new house : 1) I can't use the side walls to place
    'em 2) Rear wall the only option 3) Rear wall is right behind listening position (couch).
    What speakers will work better? Conventional or Bipolars?
    How high do I have to place 'em?
    Budget : $250 ( Eltax HT-2, Mission m7ds, Tannoy mXR )
    My system: Yamaha A5 driving B&W CC3 (central) Mission 760 (rear) REL Q150E (sub) Musical Fidelity Rainbow preamp & 2xTyphoon monoblocks driving B&W 805 matrix (front).
    (Yamaha A5 main preout connected to MF Rainbow).

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the mission 77ds there nice speakers, but more and more 5.1 Chanel movies are being recorded with monopoles (acording to B&w) They recomend you use monopoles. As for placement they should be to the side and slightly to the rear but not behind, and about 2 feet above your ears. www.dolby.com for more info

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hate to argue, but not necessarily. this all depends on user preference, and the layout and acoustics of the room. I for one, due to the layout of my room, the bipole rear speakers I use, and most of all because of the way it sounds have the rears about 180 cm up the rear wall, about half the distance away from me as my centre and main speakers are.

The 'basic' setup doesn't work properly for me and my room.

Listen to your ears, not to dolby.

Haris, I personally would choose bipole. I have the Mission 77ds, and think they deliver a wonderfully effective and atmospheric sound. The M7ds would be my choice.

But as I would always say, try to demo a few of them first if you can before making any choice, and at home, if at all possible.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do listen with my ears mate (i've got fa cup ears, i cant help put listen:) I have the 77ds to, and i sit right up against the back wall as i have no other option, but i think there better to the side myself. It's a subjective thing .

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you mean directly behind and you cannot use the side walls then The Mission M77DS would be ideal. They are not particularly small but are not box shaped so can be fairly unobtrusive.

Whilst direct radiating speakers may be more ideal, they work best when there is a few feet (sorry metres) behind the listening position.

6. Haris Mav

Haris Mav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats my problem Ian J : I cant use the rear walls and theres no
    space between the back of the couch and the rear wall.