1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround speakers with max. WAF

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dave48, Nov 7, 2004.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I need to get some surround speakers to go in the lounge. My main system has Jamo Concert 11 + 8 + Center driven by Primare amps; the lounge system is going to have to have other drivers:

- it will be powered by a Denon 3802
    - they can't be too bulky; and some of them may have to sit on shelves since I can't see how I can fit in floorstanders or speakers on stands
    - center speaker will need to balance on tele or sit on shelf just above tele
    - they need to have a high WAF factor (most important criterion)
    - they need to either be finished in very light wood or silver, or maybe black, but no other wood shades allowed
    - they should sound as good as possible (well that one is actually my criterion)
    - I'd like to avoid a separate subwoofer, but maybe I'm being unrealistic with the above constraints and I'll have to have one
    - it's mainly for DVD playback, I'll play music on the other system, but they should sound ok with music
    - budget is not fixed; if it's something I can get second-hand, all the better, but I'd rather spend a bit more to get something decent
    - room size is something like 5m x 5m

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I'm usually in the market for speakers where sound quality is the prime driver, so I don't really know where to start here.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Quad 12L fronts, Quad L Centre and Quad 11L rears. The Quad L subwoofer would be a great finishing touch :).

Get them in Birds Eye Maple, and that will be soooooo WAF and sound sooooooo good that your other half will be thankful enough to NEVER question you again :D

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to go discrete full size the Kef's Q series look great in silver
    or if you want small without losing too much try Monitor Audio's Radius they look OK in Silver but the beech and black (polished) finish looks amazing!!

4. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which "Q" speakers were you refering to? Just checked Kef's website and there seem to be quite a lot ... I'm going to have to go for something that can sit on a shelf; having had another look at the room, there simply isn't anywhere to put standmounted or floorstanding speakers.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In which case it would be the Q6c, Qcompact and maybe a couple of the KHT2001s for rears.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I would still recommend the Quads, even more so now. The 11L's and 12L's are incredibly musical, and can both be shelf mounted. They also have that 7 layer lacquered finish which is just superb. The 12L's are the baby brothers to my 21L's, and I am VERY impressed.

The 12L, 11L, L Centre and L subwoofer is getting rave reviews everywhere, and I was lucky enough to hear this setup at the recent What Hi Fi show, and it blew me away for its price, amazing setup!! You would be crazy not to at least audition it :D

7. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok you are doing a good sales job on the quads, I'll have to go and have a look where I can get an audition locally!