Surround Speakers whats best for music and films??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Johnny.A, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Johnny.A

Johnny.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hey guy this is my first thread as only just come across this site.
    Basicly im looking for a speaker package for my system thats not only good for music but brillant for films.

Up untill now ive mainly been in to my music so have been very much in to my hifi end of thing rather then film and a/v side but over the last year i have got very into films etc. The thing is i have one room really to keep it all in so it the fact that the speaker package i go needs to be musicly awesome!

Heres my system:

Stereo:
    Naim CD2
    Naim Flat Cap
    Naim Nac 92 Pre Amp
    Naim Nap 90 Power Amp
    Naim Intro Speakers with crossover upgrade

Cinema:
    Infocus Screenplay 4805
    Infocus 6ft Screen
    Pioneer 989Avi DVD Player
    Denon AVR 2805 Surround Amp

Now at the moment i have a mishmash of speakers running it, I have the intros for front left and right a set of mission 773s for the rear left and right and center and sub are from my denon DHT ADV500SD Which was what i was using before i started getting seperate cinema kit.

So basicly i want to get rid of all the speakers and goet a speaker packages that works well together. Ive been looking at stand mounts as the room isnt that big and 9 out 10 floorstands would have trouble breathing in there.

These are what i have been looking at
    MA silver Rs1 Package
    Dynaudio Audiance 52 Front 122c Center
    Dynaudio Focus 110 Fronts and 200c Center
    Totem Mite front and Mite Center

The thing is rear speakers are gonna have to go on the wall but they either have to be small or bi/Di poler as there is a door on back wall so will have to go above or on side walls.

I havnt heard the totems yet but heard some stafs on my naim system which i really liked. I heard the Dyna focus 110s today and thought they were awesome and have listened to the 122c center which i thought was good and also the Ma Rs1 set up which i also thought was good but havnt heard the 52s or the 200c center yet.

The other thing is they have to sound good at low volume as live in terrace house so cant really crank it up really loud.

So basicly im open to suggestions as come to a bit of a dead end having so much to choose from and not enough time to listen to them all!
    Hope you Guys can help

2. Bobdk

Bobdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi Johnny.A,

I have no knowledge of the speakers you mentioned so I won't try to comment on them.
    You never mentioned your budget, this would assist any helpers on the Forum.
    I have Castle CC3's and they are excellent! Small with a quality output for movies and music. Whilst they are small they punch out a lot of sound which, should you feel the need, can upset neighbours. I manage to keep mine under control without feeling dissapointed. They can go on the wall, a bookshelf or on stands. Cost around £1,000 for a fully integrated 5.1 package.

3. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    M&K's tripole surround speakers are a combination of direct firing and bi-pole surrounds, being suited to music and films. Also, M&K speakers have similar characteristics to Naim speakers.
    Give them a try, you might like them :)

4. Johnny.A

Johnny.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well budget im not really sure about depends on how much i like them prop looking at about £850 for fronts £600 for center and about £300-£500 for rears.

Was thinking of getting some M&Ks for the rears as i havnt got much rear wall space so they would be good Gonna give the dynaudio focus's another listen and see but cant quite decide just wondering what people really like and recommend.

5. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    You could go for M&K tripole surrounds and go for the Naim N-Sats across the front, which sound great for films and music. They don't need loads of power, just a decent amp. Like i said, the Naim and M&K speakers have a lot in common as far as i'm concerned, so should gel together pretty well. Worth a try.

6. Johnny.A

Johnny.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah i was wondering about the N sats havnt got round to hearing them yet was quite interested by them as i really like my naim intros its just a shame they look like they've been styled with a stick! I will have to give them an audition to see what i think.