Surround speakers question

delacroix_89

Novice Member
I'm planning on upgrading my surround set up some time soon and have a few questions.

1. Can any speaker be used in a surround setup?
2. Can i swap the speakers that came with an all-in-one package with ones i have purchased seperately.
3. If the answer to above question is yes, is there anything i need to be mindful of?

Cheers to anyone who can help me out.

mhuk05

1. sort of, but maybe not recommended (depends what you got).
2. yes.

What do you have? Budget? What do you listen to? Films & music?

delacroix_89

Novice Member
I've got the acoustic solutions ds533 home theatre setup as it's all i can afford at present. I want to gradually imporve it until all the elements of it are things i have purchased seperatly. I wanted to start with the 2 front speakers, which are currently satelites, and replace them with a pair of floor standing speakers.

I use the system for watching DVD's, playing games and occasionaly listening to music.

mhuk05

Spend plenty of time getting demos in shops to see what you do and don't like. When you upgrade, get a matching centre for your fronts as it does most of the work and needs to match (sonically).

delacroix_89

Novice Member
Any chance you could suggest a good website for speakers as there aren't any shops anywhere near me to demo of buy from.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
be careful using the amp from an all in one surround package with other speakers, quite often it is designed specifically for the speakers you get with it, and may not be powerful enough to drive other speakers, or drive them in the right way......i would advise if upgrading is likely to happen in future that you buy a dedicated surround receiver/amp and some cheap but cheerful satellites if your budget is limited, then you can slowly upgrade the speakers over time......

its always better to have quality amplification to start with cuz u can upgrade the speakers easily........if you buy cheap amp and cheap speakers, then you gotta upgrade the amp before the speakers......which wont show much difference on cheap speakers and leave you feeling shortchanged on your purchase (until you can afford better speakers as well)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom