Surround Speakers on Ceilings

xsnv

What compromises do you think i'd be making by having them this way (flat on the ceiling not on mounts / brackets)? Is anyone running theirs this way?

In consideration are the SS150's and TriFX (preferable as the front baffle is already angled). My room height (where the surrounds will be) is about 2.5m.

Thanks.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
If you are looking at speakers like the MK SS150, then mounting them, and selecting the proper or most effective placement are the only problems.

M&K SS150/BLK - Dream Home Cinema

if you feel you can mount the speaker adequately to your ceiling, and if you can place them effectively. Then I don't see a problem.

I'm curious if this is going to be a 5.1 or a 7.1 system?

How big is the room? (dimensions)

Is there are reason why you can't wall mount the speakers?

The question isn't - can they be ceiling mounted, the question is - can YOU ceiling mount them? Given that they usually HANG on a wall, you are going to need an effective plan to securely Ceiling Mount them.

Though I don't know the difference in price, but I suspect, these speakers would be just as effective Ceiling mounted and a lot more shallow -

MK Sound MP-150 On-Wall Speaker | High End MK Sound Speakers | Moon-Audio.com

MK Sound SS-150 THX Tripole - Surround Speaker | High End MK Sound Speakers | Moon-Audio.com

Given the distance to the ceiling, and depending on the placement, I'm not really sure you need Di/Bi/Tri-Pole speakers. I would say the Di/Bi/Tri-pole would work better along the side in a room that has multiple rows of seating. If a normal lounge with a single row of seating, and depending on distance and placement, the M&K MP-150 would work fine.

So, can they be ceiling mounted - Yes. Can YOU safely and effectively ceiling mount them is impossible for use to say.

Steve/bluewizard

xsnv

If you are looking at speakers like the MK SS150, then mounting them, and selecting the proper or most effective placement are the only problems.

M&K SS150/BLK - Dream Home Cinema

if you feel you can mount the speaker adequately to your ceiling, and if you can place them effectively. Then I don't see a problem.

I'm curious if this is going to be a 5.1 or a 7.1 system?

How big is the room? (dimensions)

Is there are reason why you can't wall mount the speakers?

The question isn't - can they be ceiling mounted, the question is - can YOU ceiling mount them? Given that they usually HANG on a wall, you are going to need an effective plan to securely Ceiling Mount them.

Though I don't know the difference in price, but I suspect, these speakers would be just as effective Ceiling mounted and a lot more shallow -

MK Sound MP-150 On-Wall Speaker | High End MK Sound Speakers | Moon-Audio.com

MK Sound SS-150 THX Tripole - Surround Speaker | High End MK Sound Speakers | Moon-Audio.com

Given the distance to the ceiling, and depending on the placement, I'm not really sure you need Di/Bi/Tri-Pole speakers. I would say the Di/Bi/Tri-pole would work better along the side in a room that has multiple rows of seating. If a normal lounge with a single row of seating, and depending on distance and placement, the M&K MP-150 would work fine.

So, can they be ceiling mounted - Yes. Can YOU safely and effectively ceiling mount them is impossible for use to say.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks for the response. I can ceiling mount them but I can't walk mount them. It's 5.1 for now but will be 7.1 in the next few weeks.

Pictures of the ceiling will probably help:

ImageUploadedByAVForums1397076699.608812.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1397076714.626086.jpg

I've got cables already run through the ceiling and had definitive technology mythos 3 speakers there prior which are 7kg (about the same weight as the MK and KK surrounds)

Thanks.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
How high is the ceiling? How wide is the room? With this info you could calculate how long the lateral reflection will take to reach the LP. I suspect this won't work well tbh, unless the room is small, as the reflection will arrive v late so could be perceived as a distinct sound. You could consider the pseudo column approach if on wall is a problem.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Why not get some in ceiling speakers instead of mounting a normal speaker on the ceiling?

xsnv

How high is the ceiling? How wide is the room? With this info you could calculate how long the lateral reflection will take to reach the LP. I suspect this won't work well tbh, unless the room is small, as the reflection will arrive v late so could be perceived as a distinct sound. You could consider the pseudo column approach if on wall is a problem.
The ceiling is 2.5m high. The side drivers will still fire perpendicular to the sofa at the same distances wall-mounting would - be them higher on a vertical plane.

The front baffle could be angled to fire directly at the listening position.

What do you think I'm compromising on?

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Let's say the side baffles are angled at 7.5 degrees then the on axis sound will descend about 13cm for every metre travelled horizontally. A typical ear height is about 1m so you have maybe 1.4m to descend, say a round 10m of lateral distance to cover. A reflection that travels this distance is going to be quite weak and quite possibly need to bounce off 2 walls to get there (hence weakening it further). In such circumstances you have to question the point of a tripole. OTOH even going a bit off axis increases the angle substantially so maybe it will be fine. It really depends in the room layout.
All on paper of course. I have no idea if it works in practice :blush:

I don't see any problem with a ceiling surround itself, they seem relatively common.

Last edited:

xsnv

Thanks. Gonna have a think about any other possible solutions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom