Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Surround speakers - necessary?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jonesthegas, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm finding the decision of what speakers to buy almost impossible. At a particular price range and spec, there are only a handful of amps and dvd players to choose from and there's probably not too much between them. However, there is a bewildering array of speakers to choose from and demoing them all is not possible in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Here's my question.

I read a post by Eric who suggested buying a set of QUAD 11Ls as a possibility for an AV system. In my case, this would mean 7 of them with 1 acting as a centre and 4 for surrounds. How would this solution compare to dedicated dipoles and centre speaker? Do HiFi speakers make capable surrounds?

I know that surrounds are supposed to "spread" the sound better but in a 7.1 setup is this an issue?

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you have more of a chance than people living outside major cities.

Uncle Eric doesn't like using dedicated centres because of the diiferent tonal qualities inherent in using a speaker of a different size and shape with your left and rights, no matter if they do use the same drivers.

as for the dipole/monopole question, its a matter of personal taste really. do you want directly radiating accurate sound from a standard monopole or the extra atmospheric dispersion provided by the di/tripoles?

and could I ask for expert judication on this 7.1 matter, just because you have two surround backs for the single surround back channel surely that's still 6.1 using 7 speakers and not true 7.1